Woody to be the Buzz of the Toon?

smoggeordie

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously something wrong in the world splashing out on a crock, bring back the fucking messiah and all the same old shite appears time after fucking time!not forgetting the Chimponda link etc etc...

Wenger is the Holy grail of football official!

Hardly been a crock for Boro.

Still missed nearly 30% of their games according to SSN. Hardly great?

Played 30 of boros games last season and so far this season has played 16... in what 23 games? I dont think that is a bad record at all. Thats in the league, not including the cups etc.

Would love it if he came back. I know he's not been in top form for boro, but tbh he's coasting there. I've got full confidence in KK that he could get him back to top form if he came back. Would be gutted if we lost out to Spurs for him.

Set to join us according to The Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...89520-20298867/

Jonathan Woodgate close to Newcastle move

26/01/2008

Kevin Keegan is close to securing a deal for Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Woodgate after tabling an £8million bid yesterday to trump rivals Spurs.

The England defender has been given permission to speak to Newcastle this weekend after Keegan matched Spurs' valuation to snatch the stopper away from Juande Ramos.

Woodgate remained on Teesside yesterday despite Spurs matching Middlesbrough's valuation on Thursday night, and the player is not keen on a move to London.

Instead he wants to rekindle his career at St James' Park where he was a fans' favourite under Sir Bobby Robson before being sold to Real Madrid for £15m.

Boro are keen to cash in on their star defender who has been troubled with injuries, and Newcastle is Woodgate's preferred destination leaving Spurs missing out on another high profile transfer target. Woodgate will not figure for Boro in their FA Cup fourth round clash against Mansfield today because of a slight injury problem.

Newcastle boss Keegan yesterday admitted that Woodgate is a player he has inquired about this week.

Set to join us according to The Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...89520-20298867/

Jonathan Woodgate close to Newcastle move

26/01/2008

Kevin Keegan is close to securing a deal for Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Woodgate after tabling an £8million bid yesterday to trump rivals Spurs.

The England defender has been given permission to speak to Newcastle this weekend after Keegan matched Spurs' valuation to snatch the stopper away from Juande Ramos.

Woodgate remained on Teesside yesterday despite Spurs matching Middlesbrough's valuation on Thursday night, and the player is not keen on a move to London.

Instead he wants to rekindle his career at St James' Park where he was a fans' favourite under Sir Bobby Robson before being sold to Real Madrid for £15m.

Boro are keen to cash in on their star defender who has been troubled with injuries, and Newcastle is Woodgate's preferred destination leaving Spurs missing out on another high profile transfer target. Woodgate will not figure for Boro in their FA Cup fourth round clash against Mansfield today because of a slight injury problem.

Newcastle boss Keegan yesterday admitted that Woodgate is a player he has inquired about this week.

and .com, which I'm more inclined to trust.

We hear that Jonathan Woodgate is on his way back to Tyneside after the player rejected an offer from Tottenham.

Confirmation came on Friday that former Magpies defender Woodgate had been given permission by his club Middlesbrough to speak with Spurs over a transfer.

This follows a public statement from the Riverside on Thursday that no bids had been received for any of Southgate's smoggie squad at that point - amid media claims that Newcastle were looking at Woodgate.

Other sources claimed that Newcastle had enquired about the 28 year-old Teessider earlier this week, but thought he was over-valued at the allegedly-quoted £8m.

This all might have implications for Cacapa - current wearer of the no.6 shirt. When Woodgate left Newcastle for Real Madrid Freddy Shepherd declared that his shirt would be kept ready for his return.

We'll see....

This all might have implications for Cacapa - current wearer of the no.6 shirt. When Woodgate left Newcastle for Real Madrid Freddy Shepherd declared that his shirt would be kept ready for his return.

Woodgate hardly wore it IIRC, he was given it the season he was sold early on to Madrid. His old 27 shirt is being worn by Taylor still I think.

Woodgate hardly wore it IIRC, he was given it the season he was sold early on to Madrid. His old 27 shirt is being worn by Taylor still I think.

Fiiiiiight! :rolleyes:

Don't think he wore it once.

I'm not fussed either way on this one.

If he does come, he's only cost us £2M in his two spells, so even if his injury woes return, he's better value than Enrique has been so far.

I am sure he cost us a lot more than that. Wasn't the Real deal around £9m going up to £13.4m depending on certain factors which I doubt will have been fulfilled.

Bit harsh on Enrique aswell tbf, I like the look of him. Reckon he will turn out to be a good player for us if we give him time.

Edited by Gejon

Woodgate has class tbh and i dont think that's something you lose

Of course you do. Patrick Kluivert's about 31 for example.

He a lazy fucker though.

You lose the physical attributes id agree...

Woodgate has class tbh and i dont think that's something you lose

Of course you do. Patrick Kluivert's about 31 for example.

To be fair, Kluivert did still look like a good player - he was just a lazy, moody fucker who Souness couldn't work out how to play :rolleyes:

I'm not fussed either way on this one.

If he does come, he's only cost us £2M in his two spells, so even if his injury woes return, he's better value than Enrique has been so far.

I am sure he cost us a lot more than that. Wasn't the Real deal around £9m going up to £13.4m depending on certain factors which I doubt will have been fulfilled.

Bit harsh on Enrique aswell tbf, I like the look of him. Reckon he will turn out to be a good player for us if we give him time.

I like what I've seen of Enrique, but he hasn't looked a £6M player just yet. I reckon only £1M more for a proven English player with quite a few years left in him would be a better bit of business.

Chronicle:

MIDDLESBROUGH defender Jonathan Woodgate has stalled on a £7m move to Spurs – and could yet get his wish to play for Kevin Keegan at Newcastle United.

Jonathan Woodgate

It is believed that United last night contacted Boro chairman Steve Gibson about the 28-year-old England international, although neither club would confirm this today.

Spurs had their bid accepted by Middlesbrough for Woodgate yesterday and they were expecting the former Leeds United, Newcastle United and Real Madrid defender to travel to London.

But Woodgate did not make the journey with Middlesbrough, saying it was because of treatment for an injury which kept him out of their FA Cup fourth-round tie at Mansfield today.

However, sources close to Woodgate say he would love the chance to play again for Keegan – the man who handed him the first of his six England caps against Bulgaria in 1999.

The Chronicle revealed United's interest in their former central defender on Wednesday, but yesterday it looked as though he was on his way to Spurs.

But the fact that Woodgate is prepared to turn his back on the bright lights of London, and the chance to play for a Spurs side which is on the way up, is testimony to the pulling power of Keegan.

I was told at the beginning of the week that Keegan's three targets were Woodgate, Jermain Defoe and David Bentley – and what a difference this little trio would make to the United squad.

But it looks like Woodgate is the best bet. Cockney boy Defoe is very much a home bird, yet he was ready to join United a couple of years ago when his former West Ham boss Glenn Roeder was in charge at St James’s Park.

And as far as Bentley is concerned, Blackburn Rovers have made it very clear that they will pull out all the stops to keep their England winger.

This leaves Woodgate, and the prospect of a central defensive pairing with England Under-21 skipper Steven Taylor certainly looks very appealing.

But the ball is very much in the court of Middlesbrough now. Gareth Southgate and Steve Gibson know that Woodgate is not happy at the Riverside Stadium – and so do the Boro supporters.

Woodgate is injured at the moment but he hopes to be fit for next weekend – when Middlesbrough come to St James’s Park for their Tyne-Tees derby on Sunday lunch-time.

With the transfer window slamming shut again on Thursday, everything has to be sorted out before then.

Middlesbrough would not want Woodgate to play against them if a move to United was completed, but any transfer would be permanent and really they would be powerless to stop it.

FOOTBALL: Middlesbrough's Jonathan Woodgate is in advanced talks with Newcastle, BBC Newcastle believes. More soon.

BBC Sports news ticker.

Jonathan Woodgate is in talks with Newcastle after their £7m bid for the defender was accepted by Middlesbrough, reports BBC Radio Newcastle.

Woodgate, who left the Magpies to join Real Madrid in 2004, looks set for a return to the club having reportedly turned down a move to Tottenham.

Spurs had also had an offer for the England international accepted.

Woodgate, 28, was not included in Middlesbrough's squad for their FA Cup match at Mansfield on Saturday.

On Thursday, Boro manager Gareth Southgate insisted he was under no pressure to sell any of his players.

"We wouldn't let anybody go unless we thought we were suitably covered in that position or had somebody else coming in who we thought could replace the player that was going," he said.

Southgate has other options in defence, with David Wheater, Robert Huth, Emanuel Pogatetz and Matthew Bates all competing for places.

Woodgate joined hometown team Boro for £7m from Real last summer, after an impressive campaign on loan from the Spanish club last season.

Middlesbrough would not want Woodgate to play against them if a move to United was completed, but any transfer would be permanent and really they would be powerless to stop it.

No they wouldn't.

They could just put it in the deal...