Being sued by Getty Images

Jusoda Kid

My mate got a letter today from Getty demanding £1500 for illegal use of an image on a website. Thing is it was a student he had working for him at the time who had used it but the responsibility lies with the end user apparently.

They must have image recognition bots trawling the net or something to find the fucka, it was the size of a match box.

He's shitting it, not sure if he can just tell them to fuck off but the letter is quite stern saying they'll take legal action if he doesn't pay in 21 days.

Any ideas Manc-Mag?

When I was working on my work website I was told to be very careful with images. If you simply copy and image and use it then whoever owns the image can bill you per day or whatever that the image has been used. Not only that, but lets say you put it in place on Jan 1st, and they realise on June 1st, they are well within their rights to wait until the end of the year and then send you an invoice for a years use!

What I had to do was email the people who owned the images and get their approval to use the images. I done this and all were happy enough and didnt even ask for recognition. Was an image website I use.

School boy error!

Surely they cannot just demand the money of him? Have they got all the necessary proof and what not?

I'd be getting the lawyers in to sue the daft student too.

Yes, sent a pic of the image used and where and when it's been used, hasn't got a leg to stand on imo.

I would imagine he's knacked as he's used an image they own. Maybe he could come to some arrangement over paying it back / negotiating how much he should pay. I'd seek legal advice in any case.

Didn't hot link to it J2J.

Breach of copyright basically. When he rang them and kicked off they said they may be able to half it if he can prove with accounts etc that he's as small a business as he's claiming to be.

He wakes himself up through the night to check he hasn't lost any sleep as well, so the thought of getting solicitors (fees) involved is killing him

Didn't hot link to it J2J.

Breach of copyright basically. When he rang them and kicked off they said they may be able to half it if he can prove with accounts etc that he's as small a business as he's claiming to be.

He wakes himself up through the night to check he hasn't lost any sleep as well, so the thought of getting solicitors (fees) involved is killing him

Sorted then, all's he needs to do if tell them that you worked for him and they'll soon realise what a tin-pot. shoddy business it really is!!

I would follow the route of getting to half it and pay it without getting legal assistance tbh. it's not like it's gonna put a big whole in his profits.

He's tighter than a Scottish Asian mind by the sounds of it like.

Scam :icon_lol:

If they want the money ask for proof that they have been awarded the money by a court.

Also if the lad is a small business he should be a Ltd co. then they cannot go after him.

Tell him to stop fretting.

If they want the money ask for proof that they have been awarded the money by a court.

Also if the lad is a small business he should be a Ltd co. then they cannot go after him.

This.

+ Get a posh lawyer you tells them to fuck off.

Where did the fifteen hundred quid figure come from?

He should ask them to clarify what damages/losses they've incurred as a result of his misuse and where they get the 1500 amount from.

This.

If it's his business tho then in reality that particular fact doesn't really make a blind bit of difference.

He should ask them to clarify what damages/losses they've incurred as a result of his misuse and where they get the 1500 amount from.

Their claiming thats what it's worth, but even after he's paid he still doesn't have the right to use the image

Their claiming thats what it's worth, but even after he's paid he still doesn't have the right to use the image

I hate it when big companies try and scare people like this. Make a stand. Fuck with them Wacky. :icon_lol:

Tell him to send Getty Images a pic of SO's cock in recompense. Sorted.

Done! Hoping they'll use it illegally so I can ask for a million dollars cash money!!

As an aside can anyone tell me if mobile networks can access the images that re sent from mobiles?

Tell him to send Getty Images a pic of SO's cock in recompense. Sorted.

Done! Hoping they'll use it illegally so I can ask for a million dollars cash money!!

As an aside can anyone tell me if mobile networks can access the images that re sent from mobiles?

Yep and all images sent are stored and catalogued in case of a court case at a later date.

Somewhere in O2 theres probably an entire database table just for your cock pics.

This.

If it's his business tho then in reality that particular fact doesn't really make a blind bit of difference.

In reality he winds the business up, thus it no longer exists and cannot be sued.