Magpies land Italian starlet

khay

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have there ever been many decent Italians in the PL apart from Zola and Ravanelli?

Yeah, the majority of them.

Y'know I'm guessing the majority of them haven't been, hence why there have only been about 5 suggested, unless there hasn't been any more than 9 Italians in the PL.

Edited by ewerk

Have there ever been many decent Italians in the PL apart from Zola and Ravanelli?

Y'know I'm guessing the majority of them haven't been, hence why there have only been about 5 suggested, unless there hasn't been any more than 9 Italians in the PL.

There hasn't be a lot like. Carbone was a canny player btw.

There hasn't be a lot like. Carbone was a canny player btw.

Did Casiraghi play for Chelsea? i seem to remember he did - could be wrong like - and didn't manure have that excellent goalie for a bit? brilliant shotstopper unless the ball was aimed betwen his legs

Casiraghi was fucked very early in his Chelsea career wasn't he? Forgot about that keeper Fergie signed. Came from Venezia iirc. Cudiccini (sp?) was decent.

Casiraghi was fucked very early in his Chelsea career wasn't he? Forgot about that keeper Fergie signed. Came from Venezia iirc. Cudiccini (sp?) was decent.

Massimo Tiabi

The blind Venician ? :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: Massimo Taibi iirc. Materazzi was shite at Everton too. Got caught in possession leading to a goal at SJP I seem to remember.

Materazzi was the guy who had ructions with Bellamy every time they were on the same pitch - he always seemed ponderous to me but what do i know the guys a world cup winner

:icon_lol: Massimo Taibi iirc. Materazzi was shite at Everton too. Got caught in possession leading to a goal at SJP I seem to remember.

Materazzi was the guy who had ructions with Bellamy every time they were on the same pitch - he always seemed ponderous to me but what do i know the guys a world cup winner

So was Guivarch (sp) which just goes to show....

Guest Patrokles

There haven't been that many, no. It's also really ridiculous to say 'this guy's <nationality> ergo he's shit because I can't personally remember very many good players of <nationality> in the Premier League.' Let's forget for a second that you were wrong about the Italian success rate. How many dutchmen have been successful in the Premiership? I'd still have taken Bergkamp in his prime. Portuguese? Few successful ones, but I'd take Ronaldo. Argentines? Often unsuccessful. Tevez, though? Yes please. Etc.

There haven't been that many, no. It's also really ridiculous to say 'this guy's <nationality> ergo he's shit because I can't personally remember very many good players of <nationality> in the Premier League.' Let's forget for a second that you were wrong about the Italian success rate. How many dutchmen have been successful in the Premiership? I'd still have taken Bergkamp in his prime. Portuguese? Few successful ones, but I'd take Ronaldo. Argentines? Often unsuccessful. Tevez, though? Yes please. Etc.

It's still difficult to foresee when you get the exception and when the rule...

I agree totally that the nationality of a player should never put you off when you think the player is right. But I do also think that the likeliness to adapt to English football is connected to the football culture and way of life where players come from. So yes, I do think that players from southern European leagues or South America find it generally more difficult to be successful in the Premierleague than (less talented) Scandinavians for example. Signing them is a bigger risk than signing others imho.

It's still difficult to foresee when you get the exception and when the rule...

I agree totally that the nationality of a player should never put you off when you think the player is right. But I do also think that the likeliness to adapt to English football is connected to the football culture and way of life where players come from. So yes, I do think that players from southern European leagues or South America find it generally more difficult to be successful in the Premierleague than (less talented) Scandinavians for example. Signing them is a bigger risk than signing others imho.

Northern European players are more likely to adapt imo.

Bollocks, what I'm saying is that the best Italians seem to stay in Italy or don't adapt to English football. I'll ask another question then, how many good Italians have been developed in England? I'm guessing very, very few because most of them who are worth their salt stay in Italy.

Saying that I really hope I'm proved wrong.

Bollocks, what I'm saying is that the best Italians seem to stay in Italy or don't adapt to English football. I'll ask another question then, how many good Italians have been developed in England? I'm guessing very, very few because most of them who are worth their salt stay in Italy.

Flamini ?

Flamini ?

french

Flamini ?

french

Oui massuer!

Seeing how Chris Mort was true to his word and the club has only bought young up-and-comers this January, this Italian lad at least looks tall and strong, from the one or two still frames that I've seen of him (not much eh?).

He is at least young enough to get a grounding on what is required in the PL. That goes for the other three we've got as well. Our youth system is pathetic atm, so at least these continental players bring something different and not-seen before at the club. Players of the future...or so we hope.