Relegation - would it really be such a bad thing?

Craig

OK... so what will work?

I'm not saying relegation is the answer but, save a couple of players, this squad is rotten to the core. We are bordering, but not on qualification for Europe - it's bordering on relegation.

We can't attract anyone, the players we've got are not good enough and neither are the kids coming through...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... so what will work?

I'm not saying relegation is the answer but, save a couple of players, this squad is rotten to the core. We are bordering, but not on qualification for Europe - it's bordering on relegation.

We can't attract anyone, the players we've got are not good enough and neither are the kids coming through...

We have to wait for the summer I guess.

With the possible exception of Woodgate (has he said why he went to Spurs over Newcastle?), it's probably not so much a case of we absolutely cannot attract players so much as they'd be even harder to get and stupidly expensive at this time of the season.

OK... so what will work?

And getting relegated is going to solve that?

OK... so what will work?

And getting relegated is going to solve that?

Depends on levels of realism I guess...

If anyone thinks we're going to attract some of the names that have been banded around in the press this month, they're living in cloud cuckoo land tbh.

OK... so what will work?

Howay man, the club could attract players when we had Souness, Roeder and Allardyce as managers.

I truly believe that Mike Ashley must pay off some of the contracts and simply order some players to leave the club. I pretty much want to start again from scratch (as far as is realistically possible) so the incoming players are completely untainted by any of the beleagured Souness/Roeder/Allardyce crowd languishing about the place and being generally disaffected. I think Keegan needs momentum as much as anything else. That's why I wasnt arsed about missing out on expensive makeweights in the January window.

I truly believe that Mike Ashley must pay off some of the contracts and simply order some players to leave the club. I pretty much want to start again from scratch (as far as is realistically possible) so the incoming players are completely untainted by any of the beleagured Souness/Roeder/Allardyce crowd languishing about the place and being generally disaffected. I think Keegan needs momentum as much as anything else. That's why I wasnt arsed about missing out on expensive makeweights in the January window.

Along the same lines as my train of thought.....

Along the same lines as my train of thought.....

I agree about starting from scratch, but doing it in Division 1 is very dangerous.

We are a mid table side with recent Champions League and UEFA cup experience.

I'm sick of 3 year and 5 year plans. Momentum is a huge part of success and the right team heading in the right direction can get somewhere much more quickly than a huge lumbering organisation that doesn't know its arse from its elbow. Souness and Allardyce "needed" 5 years. The trouble is there was absolutely no sign of improvement.

We will have to dig deep financially if we want quick success. The Villas, Portsmouths and Evertons will all spend reasonable money this summer and we have to wait and see whether Ashley wants to do it on the cheap or get the ball rolling quickly.

To rebuild our current side could take as much as £100m but it would set the tone for the future and show that we mean business, even if we end up paying over the odds for a few players.

The other option is to wait and wait and wait and build the club slowly but in the meantime, other clubs are jumping the queue.

I really think we have a good chairman in Chris Mort and I hope that the new structuring of the club (and the buying of young talent) will start to bear fruit in the future, but if we have any aspiration of not falling further down the league we need to spend big and that is just a fact of football these days.

That foreskin must have been so tight it was cutting off the air supply to your brain for a few years cos since you've got shut your posts have been award winners. You state the case maginificently.

:razz:

:brrr:

I've even got alex agreeing with me occasionally!

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: <_< <_< B):icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Good post.

We need to spend big if MA is at all serious.

I don't think we will spend big, I think 2/3 good players will be added.

It will come down to how much power KK has over the owner.

Keegan was told he's got as much money as he wants I heard. The difficult part will be attracting the players he wants but he's done it before.

We have a shit load of dross in the squad now which brings me back to a point I made a couple of months ago that we don't have any fans favourite players any more because very few of them are good enough.

We need to start again because the post Robson team that's been built is shite. Hopefully Ashley will release something like the money that has been suggested and if he does we will still be able to attract a high quality of player. At the end of the day we still pay fucking good wages, we have top class facilities, a manger with an extremely high profile in the game, a full stadium every game and if we start splashing the cash and showing ambition and spending big money I'm sure that will provide another reason for top players to come.

We won't be able to take the very best players away from Manure, Chelski and Arse (or Liverpool for that matter) but we will be able to get players that can put us back up there.

If we get back into Europe and start looking like a top team again then we would have a chance to sign the very best players. Of course that would take a lot more money again so it would all depend on what MA will cough up.

Relegation is the last thing we need though (especially as it would mean at least one of the Makems and the Smoggies staying up in our place!).

We have a shit load of dross in the squad now which brings me back to a point I made a couple of months ago that we don't have any fans favourite players any more because very few of them are good enough.

We need to start again because the post Robson team that's been built is shite. Hopefully Ashley will release something like the money that has been suggested and if he does we will still be able to attract a high quality of player. At the end of the day we still pay fucking good wages, we have top class facilities, a manger with an extremely high profile in the game, a full stadium every game and if we start splashing the cash and showing ambition and spending big money I'm sure that will provide another reason for top players to come.

We won't be able to take the very best players away from Manure, Chelski and Arse (or Liverpool for that matter) but we will be able to get players that can put us back up there.

If we get back into Europe and start looking like a top team again then we would have a chance to sign the very best players. Of course that would take a lot more money again so it would all depend on what MA will cough up.

Relegation is the last thing we need though (especially as it would mean at least one of the Makems and the Smoggies staying up in our place!).

Of course once a club starts to show serious ambition and organisation (often beginning with a top tier manager that players associate with success) good purchases attract incrementally better purchases. But we haven't really shown this we've bought questionably in recent history and in dribs and drabs, with no real sense of direction (high manager turnover?).

Slowly but surely and perhaps in the form many will find hard to palette I feel some kind of direction is taking shape.

IMO we will give a good fight for a respectable league position, starting at Smogville UK. I think that we wont finish above 8th but I think we could finish 10th, 9th, or 8th. We will give it a real go next season and if all goes well I dont see why we cant definatly get into Europe and maybe even scrape 4th. To optimistic? Maybe.

In response to the main article. It would be a huge fucking disaster if we got relegated!

IMO we will give a good fight for a respectable league position, starting at Smogville UK. I think that we wont finish above 8th but I think we could finish 10th, 9th, or 8th. We will give it a real go next season and if all goes well I dont see why we cant definatly get into Europe and maybe even scrape 4th. To optimistic? Maybe.

In response to the main article. It would be a huge fucking disaster if we got relegated!

We're 11 points from 8th.

Blackburn, West Ham, Portsmouth and Spurs are all better than us. How exactly do you plan on getting that position?

The best we will finish is 12th.

We've got 42 points to play for.

This season we've averaged 1.125 points per game so far.

As a finger in the air, if we're twice as good now Keegan's arrived and we get 2.25 PPG, that's worth another 31 points.

That'll be a 58 point total.

Last season that was enough for 6th place.

I'm happy with how we've performed since Keegan arrived, but no way are we 100% better than we were.

Worst . . . Thread . . . Ever!!!!!!

Relegation would be catatstrophic. We have no guarantees of coming straight back up and could end up like Leeds or Bradford

Glad to see you bothered to read it in full... :razz:

As a finger in the air, if we're twice as good now Keegan's arrived and we get 2.25 PPG, that's worth another 31 points.

I'm happy with how we've performed since Keegan arrived, but no way are we 100% better than we were.

You're demented Nicos.

We'll lose the next 3 games straight and then it will be down to beating Blackburn at home in March. April is a good month reg fix and we might nick 3 wins.

We'll lose the next 3 games straight

I'll bet you we don't.

If you lose, you have to change your ava to a still from the new Transformers film for a week....and not one with that lass with her chebs oot. Has to be a robot to show everyone how you love it so.

...I said we won't do what I was calculating, but I reckon we've got 11 games I'd fancy us in. We won't win them all, but relegation hasn't even crossed my mind.

Well for i can understand where craig is coming from and some points are valid i think it would be a total disaster if we went down. It would add another 2 years onto the plan we have now. And essentially lead to more frustration for us fans. Not to mention we would lose the best part of our team and still be left with the dead wood. As someone mentioned before, this season is a void, concentrate on stability for the rest of the season. Get a bit of team spirit going and maybe a little winning mentality. Followed up with a long waited for summer of spending and an influx of quality players we will challenge for europe next year.

I for one will be dissapointed we wont have magical midweek games in europe next year, but id rather see us steady build a squad who will do well in europe rather than a team get into europe and flouder and fail miserably.

as take that once said "things can only get better" they disapeared and reinvented them selves! :razz: haha

You're demented Nicos.

We'll lose the next 3 games straight and then it will be down to beating Blackburn at home in March. April is a good month reg fix and we might nick 3 wins.

Who the fuck told you that? The guy from the newspaper?

Edited by nufc4ever