Why Al said no

JawD

ALAN Shearer has revealed why he will not be joining Kevin Keegan's backroom team at Newcastle United.

Keegan and Shearer spoken at length over a role for the club's record goalscorer on his staff.

And after days spent agonising, Shearer has decided it would be best for the club if his involvement is limited to the occasional coaching session.

He told the Sun: "I have not snubbed anyone or anything like that.

"I chatted to Kevin for four hours at my house first time. Then we had another long meeting on Monday.

"Throughout the talks, all I was thinking about was what would be best for Newcastle, not what would be best for me.

This club has given me too much for me to turn my back at a time when I might be able to help, but I don't think I would be a help right now and I have explained that to Kevin.

"He basically told me I could come in as his assistant, or in any role I wanted, but the timing is just not right."

Shearer - who still hopes to manage his hometown club in the future - believes Keegan has to be the "dominant" personality at Newcastle.

Shearer said: "Right now, I think the last thing they would need is another dom

inant personality, another name.

"It needs one personality driving things forward at the club and that is Kevin Keegan.

"It needs to be his way and if it is, I think he can turn things round. Myself and Kevin were just too similar personalities, we are both opinionated.

"We are both single-minded and have our ideas about how things should be done. That is not the best mix, you need to be different.

"So, for plenty of reasons, I had to say no."

But United's players can still expect the occasional visit from BBC pundit Shearer to the club's Benton HQ.

Shearer added: "He has told me if I have a spare day and fancy coming down to join in training, teach the kids, or just have lunch. I can, and I will, but right now that's it.

"I'm not saying the door is closed for ever. Just right now there is plenty to be sorted out there and one man needs to do it and do it his way."

Fair enough really. I wasnt massively for or against him coming in with a certain role small or big. Just glad its sorted and his reasoning makes sense.

Edited by JawD

What an absoloute twat. No need to say anything if he has the interests of the club at heart as he's totally contradicted Keegan there.

My thoughts exactly, although I think the sun shines out of Big Al's arse he's always going to be second in my eyes to Kev and there's no need for him to spout this 'exclusive' if he really does have the club's best interests at heart. Sad.

I don't blame him at all - would you want to work with Dennis Wise and a Spanish Property developer? I have never been so depressed about the club for years.

Appointing Keegan is a backward step, what has happened since is even worse. Shearer is too intelligent to have anything to do with it.

I don't really think Shearer can win now, whatever he says or does.

Im with you on that one. I dont get why loads on here give him so much shit and I certainly dont think we're going backwards. We're getting a new set up in place and that takes time. you cant expect things to magically be right on day 2. Then for Shearer, whats he supposed to do? Refuse to talk about it if someone in the media asks him? Dont see the problem with it myself, at least its drawn a line under it and made is clear.

What an absoloute twat. No need to say anything if he has the interests of the club at heart as he's totally contradicted Keegan there.

He needs to get a proper football job and shut the fuck up.

he's talking their like he was offered assistant manager job , not a coaching role . he can have all the opinions he wants cos he was asked to come in as a coach not the manager .

he was meant to come in and finish his pro lisence , learn the in's and out's of the club , support the players .

not to come in and give his opinion about anything and everything .

for a club he supposedly 'love's , he doesnt want to get his hands dirty does he .

for me this was alan's chance to come in and learn the ropes , maybe then i would have been happy about seeing him as our manager one day , in my eye's he's just looking to distance himself from us as the season ahead looks rough .

Its ego time!

Wanted the managers job and was huffed when he didnt get it. I think Keegan has gone above and beyond the call of duty offering him any job he wants and taking 4 or 5 hours out of his day to sit and talk to him, and hes still not happy!

Its ego time!

Wanted the managers job and was huffed when he didnt get it. I think Keegan has gone above and beyond the call of duty offering him any job he wants and taking 4 or 5 hours out of his day to sit and talk to him, and hes still not happy!

much as I don't really like having a go at Shearer, who is still and always will be a legend, I agree

he's talking their like he was offered assistant manager job , not a coaching role . he can have all the opinions he wants cos he was asked to come in as a coach not the manager .

he was meant to come in and finish his pro lisence , learn the in's and out's of the club , support the players .

not to come in and give his opinion about anything and everything .

for a club he supposedly 'love's , he doesnt want to get his hands dirty does he .

for me this was alan's chance to come in and learn the ropes , maybe then i would have been happy about seeing him as our manager one day , in my eye's he's just looking to distance himself from us as the season ahead looks rough .

absoltely spot on..... the spineless shite

I'd have more respect for him if he'd come out and told the truth. The beeb job is a cushy number that pays well and he can't be arsed to join us while we're looking a bit fragile. Fair enough Alan, but don't come out with this patroinising shite.

I'd have more respect for him if he'd come out and told the truth. The beeb job is a cushy number that pays well and he can't be arsed to join us while we're looking a bit fragile. Fair enough Alan, but don't come out with this patroinising shite.

Staggering. I think some of on here are trying to find any way you can to throw this back in his face. I'm not greatly for or against, but as someone else said, he's damned if he does and he's damned if he doesnt.

Bollocks. After all the stick we've taken from every section of the press the last thing we need is patronised. Bored of soundbites from players, pundits etc. He didn't want to come here, fine by me, but either tell the truth or don't bother.

If you ignore all the fluff, this for me is the key point:

Shearer said: "Right now, I think the last thing they would need is another dom

inant personality, another name.

"It needs one personality driving things forward at the club and that is Kevin Keegan.

"It needs to be his way and if it is, I think he can turn things round. Myself and Kevin were just too similar personalities, we are both opinionated.

"We are both single-minded and have our ideas about how things should be done. That is not the best mix, you need to be different.

"So, for plenty of reasons, I had to say no."

Of course he must have his own idea's. If he wants to be a manager he will have to have. I very much doubt they are the same idea's as KK. What they are Ive no idea, they could be fantastic or they could be shite. But, fact is how could he work alongside KK if he didnt agree with KKs way of playing? We all knew AS was to have further talks for KK so at some point, he had to come out and say yes or no. I dont see any of what he said as patronising, just saying it as it is.

I do think he was maybe pissed of at not getting the role himself, understandable if he wanted it, I also think that maybe he has chucked his toys out of the pram. But I dont see how you dont any of this is true? Sounds very plausible to me. I just cant get my head around the stick he is getting on here for saying what he has? If he said nothing he'd be getting stick for not putting an and to the speculation?

Bollocks. After all the stick we've taken from every section of the press the last thing we need is patronised. Bored of soundbites from players, pundits etc. He didn't want to come here, fine by me, but either tell the truth or don't bother.

In all honesty I think that's what he just did.