How Much Do You Hate Sunderland?

Curious Yank

Know a few mackems, all decent blokes, only met one who displayed all the worst kind of mackem that you only have nightmares about. Always on the attack about NUFC, always on the defence about the mackems, and with a huge chip on his shoulder. Couldn't have a decent football conversation with him becuase he took everything you said as having a dig and he'd just make childish digs back. There's banter, and then there's being a cunt.

Anyway, my dads best mate was a mackem and he's one of my best mates now. Proper banter.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Magpies.

I'm new to the board, so be gentle. But I come with questions.

First off, I'm an American history student in Los Angeles (yeah, I'm a Yank), and I'm working on my senior history project.

I've become a huge football fan over the last eight years or so that I'm doing part of my senior thesis on the historical precedents behind Newcastle & Sunderland's football rivalry.

I'm fairly familiar with the centuries of antipathy between the two cities; I've researched the coal competition and both sides' respective roles in the English Civil War, and I know they're bitter because they think you've gotten better funding from the municipal government in recent years.

But what I'm really curious about is this: how does the average Newcastle fan feel about Mackems and Sunderland in general? Do you feel like this derby is a continuation of age-old battles between your city and theirs, or is it just about football for you?

More succinctly, do you hate Sunderland, or just Sunderland AFC?

While I know both sides joke about the other being illiterate and having questionable hygiene, do you really see Sunderland residents and

supporters as being fundamentally different from Geordies? What are the differences today?

I'm curious to hear any and all perspectives.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I hate you

Hello Magpies.

I'm new to the board, so be gentle. But I come with questions.

First off, I'm an American history student in Los Angeles (yeah, I'm a Yank), and I'm working on my senior history project.

I've become a huge football fan over the last eight years or so that I'm doing part of my senior thesis on the historical precedents behind Newcastle & Sunderland's football rivalry.

I'm fairly familiar with the centuries of antipathy between the two cities; I've researched the coal competition and both sides' respective roles in the English Civil War, and I know they're bitter because they think you've gotten better funding from the municipal government in recent years.

But what I'm really curious about is this: how does the average Newcastle fan feel about Mackems and Sunderland in general? Do you feel like this derby is a continuation of age-old battles between your city and theirs, or is it just about football for you?

More succinctly, do you hate Sunderland, or just Sunderland AFC?

While I know both sides joke about the other being illiterate and having questionable hygiene, do you really see Sunderland residents and

supporters as being fundamentally different from Geordies? What are the differences today?

I'm curious to hear any and all perspectives.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I hate you

Heh. I did say "all perspectives," didn't I.

Thanks for all your responses so far. I see you found my thread on RTG as well. They certainly had a lot to say.

Thanks for keeping the Yank-bashing to a minimum as well. I know most of us are painfully ignorant when it comes to "soccer," but I try to be different.

I think Stevie thinks I'm from N. Shields for some reason.

Aye, where ye from like? I know Belfast I mean when you were a kid. Belfast's a nice place though, so it is.

I was brought up in Burradon, mainly. Never lived in Shields, hardly ever been to the place. Belfast's sound, aye. Not too dissimilar to the Toon is a lot of ways. I'm only here through the week though.

Once spent a month living in digs in Belfast while waiting for a ship to be fitted out, Had a good time there and wouldn't be surprised if there's some folks been searching for their biological father. Nobody's found me yet. :rolleyes:

Dad? :lol:

:D

Aye, where ye from like? I know Belfast I mean when you were a kid. Belfast's a nice place though, so it is.

I was brought up in Burradon, mainly. Never lived in Shields, hardly ever been to the place. Belfast's sound, aye. Not too dissimilar to the Toon is a lot of ways. I'm only here through the week though.

Once spent a month living in digs in Belfast while waiting for a ship to be fitted out, Had a good time there and wouldn't be surprised if there's some folks been searching for their biological father. Nobody's found me yet. :rolleyes:

Great Grandad more like.

Great Grandad more like.

That's more like it. After all, it was the Titanic he was waiting to be fitted out.

Check out David Attenborough:

As for the geordies, your geordie is just a simple animal and will follow general pack behaviour. If you encounter one in the wild on their own they will probably say how much they respect the people of sunderland and how we are both similar downtrodden people. If you encounter 2-5 of them (a single pack) they will take the piss and there will probably be some shoving should you not show submissive behaviour. As soon as there are 6-10 this is above the optimum pack size considered controllable by a single alpha male (Notable for his highly visible tatoo's and swollen midriff) and they will almost certainly turn violent to any outsider, particularly one from wearside before squabbling. Once you reach numbers greater than 10 they will fight amongst themselves and you are probably safe.

As for the geordies, your geordie is just a simple animal and will follow general pack behaviour. If you encounter one in the wild on their own they will probably say how much they respect the people of sunderland and how we are both similar downtrodden people. If you encounter 2-5 of them (a single pack) they will take the piss and there will probably be some shoving should you not show submissive behaviour. As soon as there are 6-10 this is above the optimum pack size considered controllable by a single alpha male (Notable for his highly visible tatoo's and swollen midriff) and they will almost certainly turn violent to any outsider, particularly one from wearside before squabbling. Once you reach numbers greater than 10 they will fight amongst themselves and you are probably safe.

Sounds about right.

Sounds about right.

:lol: Although it's ironic if a Mackem wrote that.

Fuck off he's mine :rolleyes:

You had better start counting your dollars me mothers wanting to know where the maintenance is :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Fuck off he's mine :rolleyes:

You had better start counting your dollars me mothers wanting to know where the maintenance is :rolleyes:

Aw c'mon son, isn't there a statute of limitations or summat. :D

• 2 years later...
Guest Tuco Ramirez
To give you an idea of my hatred, I hate them more than i hate J69. Once met a decent one about ten years ago but he was a chinky so I'm not sure if he qualifies, supported sunderland though.

See J69 this is the type of kid he is right. If you'd said "paki" or black, he'd have been all over it like a rash, but he posts two down saying fuck all.

He doesn't by the way.

To give you an idea of my hatred, I hate them more than i hate J69. Once met a decent one about ten years ago but he was a chinky so I'm not sure if he qualifies, supported sunderland though.

See J69 this is the type of kid he is right. If you'd said "paki" or black, he'd have been all over it like a rash, but he posts two down saying fuck all.

He doesn't by the way.

I'm confused, what have I done now?

I agree though, there's nowt worse than twats against casual racism ;)

Guest Tuco Ramirez

He doesn't by the way.

The point is you let him get away with saying chinky, but you wouldn't if he'd said "paki" or "wog". Double standards and Chinese racism from you if you ask me.

Im not that bothered by the city (its a shit hole) or the people (my best mates a mackem) But I dislike the team only on match days and the week before... loads of laughs and that with the mates.

They DEFINITELY hate us more than we hate them.. It has to be because we've had far more success than them over years.

If you look at Man City and Man Utd. Fair enough most of the Manchester United fans are foreign but they don't hate Manchester City as much as liverpool or arsenal.

Man City on the other hand; 90% of the songs they sing on match days is about a Man Utd player dying or something like that ;)

He doesn't by the way.

The point is you let him get away with saying chinky, but you wouldn't if he'd said "paki" or "wog". Double standards and Chinese racism from you if you ask me.

"You're all right with that, like, because it's a race of people, and it's a food."

Mackem at work was just telling me this morning how he watched our relegation game against villa rather than their game against Chelsea.

It came as no surprise and tells you everything you need to know about them and their mindset.

I had one tell me just the other week it was ''the best day of her life''. The funny thing is she doesn't know much about football and just says ''Newcastle are going to get thrashed'' which I agreed with in regards to Man United away but it was funny seeing her on the monday after beating Villa 6-0 ;)