Oh lord

Meenzer

I've just seen the line-up for this year's UK Eurovision final.

That bloke who came second to Shayne Ward in the X Factor, two of the lasses who weren't good enough to be in Girls Aloud, one of the failed Josephs, one of the failed Marias (the Romanian one), some Alan McGee-backed retro girl group, and bloody Michelle Gayle off Eastenders circa 1994.

And we wonder why the Eastern Europeans always beat us :devil:

That bloke who came second to Shayne Ward in the X Factor, two of the lasses who weren't good enough to be in Girls Aloud, one of the failed Josephs, one of the failed Marias (the Romanian one), some Alan McGee-backed retro girl group, and bloody Michelle Gayle off Eastenders circa 1994.

And we wonder why the Eastern Europeans always beat us :devil:

No, we just don't care.

And we wonder why the Eastern Europeans always beat us :icon_lol:

Aye, the standard of those Balkan singers is tip top.

:devil:

I love the Eurovision Song Contest. Always have. Although I do like to slag off the songs, and love the 'true' Eurovision-type ditties, I've always got more of a kick out of the political voting and Wogan's comments than the music :icon_lol:B)

Oh, and I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar removed from being the Eurogeek that Meenzer is! :devil:

LoveShy/Clea are/were fantastic!

When you're next in London, give me a shout and I'll chaperone you on a trip to G.A.Y. Bar. You'll need protection from the lecherous old men, but the video jukebox will make you orgasm repeatedly even without the touch of a grubby gaylord in the cubicles.

It certainly is a conundrum why on earth a reputable recording artist wouldn't want to enter Eurovision. :devil:

I reckon most bands/singers would say yes if the Beeb came to them and said "no rules, fuck the results, you can sing what you want, it's 3 minutes of prime-time global TV exposure and a two-week paid-up booze cruise to somewhere sunny and foreign in May". It's just the insistence of having a national final where you'll get beaten by some Dancing On Ice reject or something that tends to spoil things. :icon_lol:

Edited by Meenzer

After hearing about the entrants on Radio One, I knew this thread would be about Eurovision. :devil:

When is the finals? My mum is going to Belgrade to see some of our extended family at the end of April I think. She might be able to see us win again! :icon_lol:

After hearing about the entrants on Radio One, I knew this thread would be about Eurovision. :devil:

When is the finals? My mum is going to Belgrade to see some of our extended family at the end of April I think. She might be able to see us win again! B)

Tell her to take a flak jacket now the Kosovo shit is well and truly kicking off. :icon_lol: It's in mid-to-late May, anyway - should hopefully be there myself if the fella's exam timetable doesn't get in the way. We'll no doubt be occupying an outside table at Snežana on Knez Mihailova for the duration of the week if she's still about and wants to come and share a Pizza Serbiana or a few shots of rakija or something. :boogie:

You don't know anyone with an apartment to let, actually, do you? :icon_lol::D

When is the finals? My mum is going to Belgrade to see some of our extended family at the end of April I think. She might be able to see us win again! :icon_lol:

Tell her to take a flak jacket now the Kosovo shit is well and truly kicking off. :D It's in mid-to-late May, anyway - should hopefully be there myself if the fella's exam timetable doesn't get in the way. We'll no doubt be occupying an outside table at Snežana on Knez Mihailova for the duration of the week if she's still about and wants to come and share a Pizza Serbiana or a few shots of rakija or something. :boogie:

You don't know anyone with an apartment to let, actually, do you? B):boogie:

Not unless you fancy sub-letting off one of my 80+ year old great aunties. :icon_lol:

My family are well aware of that ''Kosovo shit'' by the way. Both sides have done terrible things but it's sad that a region considered sacred is no longer part of Serbia. My gran's pretty depressed about it.

the eurovision is possibly the biggest waste of a television programme ever

20,000 hours of television screened in the UK every week (including The Vault & Hollyoaks) and a night of old fashioned cabaret singers is the worst of it?

LoveShy/Clea are/were fantastic!

:lol:

When you're next in London, give me a shout and I'll chaperone you on a trip to G.A.Y. Bar. You'll need protection from the lecherous old men, but the video jukebox will make you orgasm repeatedly even without the touch of a grubby gaylord in the cubicles.

Seriously though, Mr Gorgeous is fantastic. I haven't bothered listening to the other five songs but I'm fairly certain nothing's going to top LoveShy. Who's your tip?

Seriously though, Mr Gorgeous is fantastic. I haven't bothered listening to the other five songs but I'm fairly certain nothing's going to top LoveShy. Who's your tip?

They probably have the best song, to be honest, but I expect them to be shocking live singers. In which case I'd expect the Revelations or Rob from the Joseph show to win, since their songs are closer to the Eurovision "norm". I suspect there's not one of them would get more than 30 points at the contest proper, though.

I've heard some big changes are afoot for 2009. Not only are Scotland considering putting forward their own entry but apparently the whole voting system is going to change at the final. Have you heard anything about this?

What's your opinion on 'political' voting? I know lots of people think it's all rigged because Terry Wogan says it is but isn't it more likely that neighbouring countries have similar music tastes so they vote for what they like and what they're familiar with? If it is purely political, why isn't there one country (or a few) who is (are) contiually winning the contest? No one has won two Eurovisions since Ireland's dominance in the early 90s.

With UK entering guys like Daz Sampson we're never really going to stand a chance. Our last five entries have been our five lowest placed songs in the history of the competition (although the glorious 16th place James Fox managed in 2004 is tied with Nikki French in 2000) and I know Jemini's Cry Baby coincided with the beginning of the Iraq shenanigans but do Europeans really hate us that much for a war that doesn't concern them? What were we doing in 1997 that made us so popular that they all voted for Katrina and her waves?

I reckon LoveShy are most likely to have an impact in Belgrade because they might have some sort of European following. Unless Michelle Gayle's Sweetness was huge across the continent 83 years ago (or whenever it was released) and they all remember her because of it, no one else has had any success anywhere (I was going to write 'anywhere else' but no one has done anything in the UK yet...) and as Clea have had top tens in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe that might stand them in good stead. No?

Edit: Just as I finished typing this, The Hoosier's Goodbye, Mr A started playing on my itunes. Its opening line: "There's a hole in your logic." :hiya:

Edited by Walliver