installing a wifi router

zico martin

I have just enquired a linksys wi-fe router which I cant installed, so first step:

I currently have a ntlworld broadband modem which is connected to my pc via USB. Because in able to use this router i need to start using ethernet cables instead so I first tried to set up my modem this way.

Whereas USB is plug and play, how do i install my internet via ethernet?

Once I have this working I will then attempt to plug in the router 'between' my modem' and PC and hope to play dome DS games online.

can anyone help me out?

Switch the Linksys router on and do a seach for avaliable wifi networks, you should see the linksys router appear as a wifi network, click on it and connect, then put http://192.168.1.1/ in your web browser and enter the set up, username and password is usually "admin", once you are in the config page enter your broadband username and password.

Switch the Linksys router on and do a seach for avaliable wifi networks, you should see the linksys router appear as a wifi network, click on it and connect, then put http://192.168.1.1/ in your web browser and enter the set up, username and password is usually "admin", once you are in the config page enter your broadband username and password.

i dont need the router to connect to my PC via wi-fi, ethernet would be fine if I could manage to sort that out. The wi-fi will only be used for my nintendo DS and any future PS3, laptops etc that I get.

i dont think there's even a power switch on it.

i connect my modem up to my pc via ethernet (instead of usb) but how come it aint being recognised, can anyone talk me through it?

i dont need the router to connect to my PC via wi-fi, ethernet would be fine if I could manage to sort that out. The wi-fi will only be used for my nintendo DS and any future PS3, laptops etc that I get.

i connect my modem up to my pc via ethernet (instead of usb) but how come it aint being recognised, can anyone talk me through it?

Why don't you use the router instead of the modem ? you can use ethernet to connect it to you PC if you want whilst still broadcasting a wireless signal.

Why don't you use the router instead of the modem ? you can use ethernet to connect it to you PC if you want whilst still broadcasting a wireless signal.

well yeah that is the idea but i tried that and had no joy getting my pc to recognise anything, ie access the internet. I thought taking the router out of the link to see if i can get the modem installed was a good place to start!

when i try and install my 'ethernet' modem using the ntl disk i get the following error message

installationproblemmh9zfs3.th.jpg

lol while you're at it I guess I could do with a hand posting image son here as well!

Edited by zico martin

when i try and install my 'ethernet' modem using the ntl disk i get the following error message

lol while you're at it I guess I could do with a hand posting image son here as well!

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to install anything to use ethernet. Just plug your ethernet cable into the RJ45 socket on your PC and make sure your 'Local Area Connection' within your network connections is enabled.

I wouldn't have thought you'd need to install anything to use ethernet. Just plug your ethernet cable into the RJ45 socket on your PC and make sure your 'Local Area Connection' within your network connections is enabled.

think im gonna have phone virgin and talk to some bloke in mumbai who doesnt sepak english :lol:

think im gonna have phone virgin and talk to some bloke in mumbai who doesnt sepak english :lol:

What exactly is the issue you've got? And what have you tried thus far?

What exactly is the issue you've got? And what have you tried thus far?

when i connect the modem to my pc via ethernet i do the old 'add new network connection' thing and it works to the point that I am told I have only limited connectivity. I try to 'repair connection' but it fails to be able to retrieve an IP address.

I was told by NTL that I should run their installation CD but when doing this I get all the error messages shown on the image above.

sorry I am labouring the point a little but I dont get it.

perhaps my cable is knackered ( even though it did work in the past)

Okay, so you've got your NTL modem that was connected to your PC via the USB connector and everything worked. You've now replaced the USB cable with an ethernet one and you're getting limited connectivity?

Have you tried resetting the modem - i.e. powering off, counting to 30 then powering up?

You could then try to manually update your IP address.

Shell out to DOS (Start, Run... Cmd and press return)

Type IPCONFIG to see if you have an IP addy

Type IPCONFIG /RELEASE to release your IP addy

Type IPCONFIG /RENEW to get a new IP addy

Then see what you get.

Okay, so you've got your NTL modem that was connected to your PC via the USB connector and everything worked. You've now replaced the USB cable with an ethernet one and you're getting limited connectivity?

Have you tried resetting the modem - i.e. powering off, counting to 30 then powering up?

Then see what you get.

all sounds good, cheers mate I'll try tonight

Then see what you get.

all sounds good, cheers mate I'll try tonight

just tried now and....

fine connected to the internet perfectly so I am now at first base, cheers bassy :lol:

but when i connect through, internet connection fails :) any more pearls of wisdom? Should I try to switch all these off as well and see how I get on then? do i need to add it as another new connection?

I'll try now and will be right back!

It's failing as its registered the mac address of the usb modem and not your pc ethernet card. you either need to force the mac on your ethernet card to that of the usb modem or phone virgin and get them to change the one they have registered on their system.

Plug the usb modem back in and go to command prompt, type in iconfig/all and that'll give you the mac address.

now go the properties section on the ethernet card and their should be a box with something like physical address on it, select manual and type in the mac from the usb modem and it should work fine.

otherwise you need to call virgin...

It's failing as its registered the mac address of the usb modem and not your pc ethernet card. you either need to force the mac on your ethernet card to that of the usb modem or phone virgin and get them to change the one they have registered on their system.

Plug the usb modem back in and go to command prompt, type in iconfig/all and that'll give you the mac address.

now go the properties section on the ethernet card and their should be a box with something like physical address on it, select manual and type in the mac from the usb modem and it should work fine.

otherwise you need to call virgin...

thanks rico

but after switching everything off and back on again ( that old IT technician trick) my PC is online via the ethernet router.

hurrah and thanks for all you guys help, just gotta see if i can get my nintendo ds to work via the wireless router now :lol: I guess a bit of googling may help me for this!

well trying to set up my nintendo ds to connect via the router is as difficult as expected!

Ive got my SSID (which is linksys)

then for my WEP Key I guess its the 10 digits i put into 'passphrase' on my router (click generate to get key 1 - 4).

so i then click on auto obtain IP address Yes - test connection but then error code 51099 confirm SSID settings etc

any ideas what Im doing wrong?

well trying to set up my nintendo ds to connect via the router is as difficult as expected!

then for my WEP Key I guess its the 10 digits i put into 'passphrase' on my router (click generate to get key 1 - 4).

so i then click on auto obtain IP address Yes - test connection but then error code 51099 confirm SSID settings etc

Are you 100% sure your SSID is 'linksys'?

emm yeah, thats what it is says it is

tbh over the many attempts Ive made at getting the settings right, and the number of sites and forums Ive read, I'm beginning to think there could be a problem with the router itself. So im gonna take my work laptop to see if that works ok.

watch this space eh

tbh over the many attempts Ive made at getting the settings right, and the number of sites and forums Ive read, I'm beginning to think there could be a problem with the router itself. So im gonna take my work laptop to see if that works ok.

watch this space eh

well the laptop didnt work ( and i think that would have been straight forward) so I've given up on the router now.

thankfully someone at work has an different router I can try again, so back to first base!

watch this space eh

well the laptop didnt work ( and i think that would have been straight forward) so I've given up on the router now.

thankfully someone at work has an different router I can try again, so back to first base!

new router worked first time without any fiddling

what a pallava eh

thanks for everyones help anyway!