Gazza

peasepud

"On tonight's Panorama, we investigate the troubling story of Adam Johnson, a Premier League footballer who stands accused of using his power and position to lure one young fan - a family friend of the player - into a sexual relationship..." 

Meanwhile on RTG:

Renton1973: EH?! Thuv shown NEN o the gowuls 'e scored for the lads!? 

FTMHMHM: Fuckun magedia's beyn in the editin' rewm on this cunt! Fuckun disgrayuce. 

• Haha 9

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Worth watching? Read a review which said there was nowt on him pre-Spurs so gave it a swerve. 

11 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

If it's the one I saw on, I think, Amazon this is correct. Very London/England centric.

Pretty much this tbh...some interesting footage that I'd not seen but the story is well known. Whether it's accurate or not am not sure but Jim Rosenthal comes over as a decent sort character, almost everyone else outside his own family  less so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

"On tonight's Panorama, we investigate the troubling story of Adam Johnson, a Premier League footballer who stands accused of using his power and position to lure one young fan - a family friend of the player - into a sexual relationship..." 

Meanwhile on RTG:

Renton1973: EH?! Thuv shown NEN o the gowuls 'e scored for the lads!? 

FTMHMHM: Fuckun magedia's beyn in the editin' rewm on this cunt! Fuckun disgrayuce. 

I would have thought his formative years would be very relevant to his interaction with the press and media in his later life personally? It's not like his background wasn't and still isn't a huge part of what he is, is it? Anyway, that's why I was asking what its like. 🖕

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

I would have thought his formative years would be very relevant to his interaction with the press and media in his later life personally? It's not like his background wasn't and still isn't a huge part of what he is, is it? Anyway, that's why I was asking what its like. 🖕

Account takeover by CLARKO. 

Was a sad watch. As most things with Gazza. A superb talent and the ones supposed to be looking after him were cancers. 

Watching him play on those pitches. Imagine him now and what he would have been worth

Just watched the first part. It's just desperately sad - looking back now, you can really see how hard it must have been. He was like a one man Beatle with a wild side and zero support structure. And he was expected to be a top level sportsman throughout it all. 

I'll watch the second one and it's good but I'm not enjoying it. Truth be told it's  making me feel like an old cunt as well watching all these clips I remember from 30+ years ago. 

• Like 1

Listening to old tabloid hacks proudly talking about the shit house tactics they used to employ as well btw. Not even the suggestion that they look back and think what they did was wrong. Proper scumbags. 

• Like 4

Aye. Can’t watch anything about the bloke, in any other industry would be treated a damaged genius. Music has loads. So does film. The fact he was in football meant he was in a regular remit for scum reporters which didn’t help with what was obvious mental health problems.

He could have been so much more but he did incredibly well to be what he was imo. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 13/04/2022 at 22:25, Renton said:

Worth watching? Read a review which said there was nowt on him pre-Spurs so gave it a swerve. 

Would be interesting to hear which review you have read on that point. The documentary isn't about his success as a player but more his deterioration as a superstar. Missing the point as usual but that reminds me of your style thus understandable 😃🤪

I thought it was well made but another difficult Gazza doc to watch. Much like the last one I watched on him: inside the mind of Gazza, I think it was called.

Geniuses such as Gazza - in any field - often have self-destructive tendencies. Maradona was the same. I doubt he’d have had the same problems if he’d played today. The tabloid press may well still have targeted him but there is protection and support now that didn’t exist back then. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

A friend of mine has always said it would have been different if Fergie had got hold of him. Maybe it would as Venables did really care by the look of it! 

Ferguson, I think, just wouldn’t have tolerated him and it would’ve ended in tears. But we’ll never know. I’d love to have seen how good he could’ve been without the injuries like. I’m going to watch both episodes at some point but I’ll have to be in the mood because it’s a depressing, car crash of a subject. Glad to see people have said it’s really well made at least 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

A friend of mine has always said it would have been different if Fergie had got hold of him. Maybe it would as Venables did really care by the look of it! 

It wasn't so much who his manager was but the support network (or lack of) around him. I think the difference would have been that Ferguson would have insisted on it being better than it was under Venables. 

We'll never know is the sad reality, much like if NUFC had been more ambitious back then and we'd retained the likes of him, Waddle & Beardsley who knows where we might have ended up.

• Like 1

Criminal to let three of the best players of their generation leave so young but that’s the way the club was back then - as LM would happily testify if he was still around 

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Criminal to let three of the best players of their generation leave so young but that’s the way the club was back then - as LM would miserably and repeatedly testify if he was still around 

FYP

• Haha 5

• 1 month later...