Gazza

peasepud

'Agitated' Gascoigne is sectioned

Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Hertfordshire Police confirmed he was taken to hospital on Sunday following reports that he was acting strangely in Hemel Hempstead.

A police spokesman said he approached a member of the public and appeared to be unwell and in an agitated state.

He was previously detained under the Mental Health Act in February following an incident at a Tyneside hotel.

A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said: "Police were called just after 12.30pm on Sunday following a report that a 42-year-old man had approached a member of the public who was unknown to him, appearing unwell and in an agitated state.

"Officers arrived and accompanied the man to hospital so he could be checked over. He was sectioned under the Mental Health Act."

Highs and lows

The ex-midfielder, who has battled with alcohol and health problems, was treated at Middleton St George Hospital in Darlington for two weeks following the hotel incident.

In January 2005, Gascoigne, nicknamed Gazza during his football career, was hospitalised with pneumonia and last year he underwent emergency surgery for a perforated stomach ulcer after being taken ill while he was celebrating his 40th birthday.

And in the same year he was arrested for an alleged assault on a photographer outside a Liverpool city centre hotel. The charges were later dropped.

A former player with Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, Lazio, Glasgow Rangers and Middlesbrough, Gascoigne was sacked after 39 days as manager of Kettering Town in 2005.

During his football career he was capped 57 times for England.

:nah:

Trouble is he's been heading this way for a longgggg time - we all know peopel like him - daft as brush when they're lads, clownign around, popular and if they stay out of trouble everyone loves them

but there's a cog adrift, and they go the drink often and then there is small bits of trouble and we all shake our heads

You see more of it in the NE than most places I reckon - trouble is they never do get sorted out - best you can hope for is that he doesn't do himslef or anyone esle any harm.................

I've had mates and family go that way and there's bugger all you can do

Some comments from my YouTube video of Gazza, shows really how highly he's regarded by all.

hei paul, i'm an italian boy...when i was i child my friends called me gazza because my face and my body are like yours...in this days i hear a lot of news about your mental and physical state...i don't want to think that your life became like that of george best, you are an idol for me and many many english people don't forget you have a place in the hearts of everybody...if u need a help i'll be honorate to give it to you but please try to live like the normal peolple...but you are the best!!!

In my memory, Gascoigne and Waddle are the most gifted players of Bitain i saw on tv in my childhood.

greets Holland

England rarely produces players like Gazza was at his peak. He must have been a Brazilian in a previous life...

C´mon gazza get better!!!

C´mon storms captain!!!

best wishes from argentinians fans

we love you buddy!!!

we love you no matter what

no flags or borders in football

argentina and england together supporting you gazza

just one more round pal!!

you never give up into the field

dont give up now

Gazza is great! All the best from Germany!

celtic fan in peace. you played for the worst b8stards on earth, but you were an undeniable talent. try not to drink yourself to death son, your legacy to the game is set in stone, sober up and sort yourself out, you'll be missed if you go.

legend genius and hero. shows todays footballers up for what they are boring , overpaid, money grabbing mercenaries. the game truely is missing a soul without him in it. THE gratest player i've ever seen kick a ball.

I remember that EuroCup in England all Mexico went crazy with the way that gazza plaid that summer... different galaxy.

English media should respect more this guy, perhaps is because he is a genius and no one can understand them.

When the media claim Rooney will be the next Gazza, they are fooling no one. Rooney will never come close to Gascoigne, who was simply unplayable. Our so called 'golden generation' would get a footballing lesson off the 1990 team. It didn't use to be a chore watching the national side.

Then your typical modern day idiot. :D

ive never heard so much shit in my life. the fat bastard cost us the world cup an u tell me when gazza has scored great goals like gerrard!!!

Then this. :nah:

Why he was called "Gazza"???

Ferguson still rues missing out on Paul Gascoigne, who was sectioned again yesterday.

'My first experience of Paul was at Newcastle in March 1987,' he said. 'We had a central midfield of Robson, Remi Moses and Norman Whiteside. Three really competitive players, but he absolutely tore them apart. At one point, he nutmegged Remi right in front of me, then patted him on the head. I was straight out of the dug-out, screaming: "Get that little f****** so and so."

'Robbo and Whiteside were chasing him up and down the pitch, but couldn't get near him. Afterwards I told Martin Edwards not to leave until he had spoken to the Newcastle chairman. I had to get this boy. He was the best I had seen for years. I spoke to him the night before I went on holiday and he said: "Mr Ferguson, you go away and enjoy yourself. I'll be signing for Manchester United."

'Off I go, and I'm lying by the pool when there is a Tannoy for me to take a call. It was Martin telling me Tottenham had swung it by buying Paul's mum and dad a house in the northeast. We had a structure of players who could have helped him - lads from the north-east - and joining us would have given him some discipline. It was the biggest disappointment of all, losing out on him, and he admits it was a mistake.

Moving down to London can't be easy for any 19-year old lad.'

ive met gazza a few times (spoke with his dad alot more) and the guy is great , had nothing but time for you , and could do some amazing things with a football on and off the pitch . we also had twaddle and beardsley from that generation , we could knock out a player up these parts !

i did an advert with him a few years ago for daz that was never aired as he got pissed shortly after and they axed him, it was when he was at the smogs.

i spent the whole day with him at my house, and i can honestly say he was one of the nicest, funniest, kindest people i've met.

the man's a legend

Ferguson still rues missing out on Paul Gascoigne, who was sectioned again yesterday.

'My first experience of Paul was at Newcastle in March 1987,' he said. 'We had a central midfield of Robson, Remi Moses and Norman Whiteside. Three really competitive players, but he absolutely tore them apart. At one point, he nutmegged Remi right in front of me, then patted him on the head. I was straight out of the dug-out, screaming: "Get that little f****** so and so."

'Robbo and Whiteside were chasing him up and down the pitch, but couldn't get near him. Afterwards I told Martin Edwards not to leave until he had spoken to the Newcastle chairman. I had to get this boy. He was the best I had seen for years. I spoke to him the night before I went on holiday and he said: "Mr Ferguson, you go away and enjoy yourself. I'll be signing for Manchester United."

'Off I go, and I'm lying by the pool when there is a Tannoy for me to take a call. It was Martin telling me Tottenham had swung it by buying Paul's mum and dad a house in the northeast. We had a structure of players who could have helped him - lads from the north-east - and joining us would have given him some discipline. It was the biggest disappointment of all, losing out on him, and he admits it was a mistake.

Moving down to London can't be easy for any 19-year old lad.'

ive met gazza a few times (spoke with his dad alot more) and the guy is great , had nothing but time for you , and could do some amazing things with a football on and off the pitch . we also had twaddle and beardsley from that generation , we could knock out a player up these parts !

I dread to think...

I still think Fergie would have shipped him out at Man Utd as he'd have lost patience with him by the end. Shame like.

Maybe so, but I think the time spent there would have given him a firm base and we wouldn't have seen such a spectacular fall from grace.

I don't think anything could have stopped Gazza's decline (besides maybe being able to play football forever).

The guy just has some serious mental problems, which have been probably made worse by his lifestyle and the people he surrounded himself with.

Maybe with a club manager like Ferguson (or Robson, or even someone like Keegan) it might have helped a bit, but I still think the post-football things would have gone in a similar way. :nah:

TROUBLED Newcastle United legend Paul Gascoigne has been released from hospital after he was sectioned for a second time.

The frail 41-year-old had been detained under the Mental Health Act after a fresh breakdown at the weekend.

Doctors originally took the decision to keep him in after 24 hours of problems, which ended with Gazza being held by police after a visit to his ex-wife’s house.

He is believed to have been found screaming for drink and banging on Sheryl’s door in Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire.

She turned him away, and Gazza reportedly then approached a stranger’s car in a bid to buy booze. The former England star is said to have asked the Mercedes driver to take him to the nearest off-licence.

But Sheryl phoned the police, and paramedics took Gazza to West Hertfordshire Hospital where he has been detained.

A Hertfordshire Police spokesman said: “Police were called just before 2.30pm on Sunday, June 1, following a report that a man had approached a member of public who was unknown to him, appearing to be unwell and in an agitated state in Hemel Hempstead.

“Officers arrived and accompanied the man to hospital so he could be checked over."

The drama unfolded less than 24 hours after Gazza had already been in hospital.

He was taken to hospital on Saturday in a wheelchair after reportedly collapsing in a drunken stupor at St Pancras Station in London.

Onlookers reported seeing him repeatedly falling to the floor just before 6pm on Saturday.

He was strapped to a wheelchair by paramedics, who took him to hospital under police guard.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: “At 5.36pm officers from British Transport Police at Kings Cross were contact by station staff in relation to a 41-year-old male who appeared to be suffering from the effects of alcohol.”

Gazza’s sister Anna, 42, made a heartfelt plea at the weekend for people to stop buying booze for her brother.

“If he offers you money to get a drink, don’t take it,” she said.

She said she feels helpless in the battle to help her brother with his drink problems.

The deterioration in his condition comes just days after his 41st birthday, when friends rallied around with messages of support in the Chronicle.

This latest episode comes after Gazza’s breakdown, when he spent weeks living in the Malmaison hotel on Newcastle’s Quayside.

It was reported he walked around the hotel with plastic parrots and ordered raw liver to his bedroom, where he answered the door naked.

He was detained under the Mental Health Act in February and was receiving treatment in Middleton St George Hospital, Darlington.

But he was discharged and was living with his father, John, in Dunston, Gateshead.

But early last month he checked himself into hospital following reports he tried to commit suicide in a London hotel.

He had reportedly visited the Millennium Hotel, having left Kensington’s Royal Garden Hotel the day before, after setting off fire alarms by smoking in his room.

I don't think anything could have stopped Gazza's decline (besides maybe being able to play football forever).

The guy just has some serious mental problems, which have been probably made worse by his lifestyle and the people he surrounded himself with.

Maybe with a club manager like Ferguson (or Robson, or even someone like Keegan) it might have helped a bit, but I still think the post-football things would have gone in a similar way. :nah:

Ive thought what Fergie does for many years, i agree with him completely (and it feels so wrong!) that he would have saved Gazza.

Gazza has/would have problems, but alot of them would stem from, or be increased by the serious injury he got and subsequent injuries leaving him with nothing to do and goign to Lazio with some people around him who weren't helpful shall we say.

IMO f he'd went to manu Fergie and the older geordie players he mentioned would have looked after him, kept him out of trouble and he would have went on to be the best player in the world for some time as he was that good.

And as an afterthought, when Keegan took over as manager first time round and did what he did i suspect Gazza would have been brought back home like Beardsley and Shearer to play for us.

Guest alex

If you look at Paul McGrath's story and look at the type of person Gazza is, I have to agree with 2J. Gazza wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes back then at Man Utd.

Ive thought what Fergie does for many years, i agree with him completely (and it feels so wrong!) that he would have saved Gazza.

Gazza has/would have problems, but alot of them would stem from, or be increased by the serious injury he got and subsequent injuries leaving him with nothing to do and goign to Lazio with some people around him who weren't helpful shall we say.

IMO f he'd went to manu Fergie and the older geordie players he mentioned would have looked after him, kept him out of trouble and he would have went on to be the best player in the world for some time as he was that good.

And as an afterthought, when Keegan took over as manager first time round and did what he did i suspect Gazza would have been brought back home like Beardsley and Shearer to play for us.

Fergie is a good man manager, and being under someone like that might have helped (career, football and generally), but Gazza needs and needed a lot more than that, his problems don't come from guidance so much as probably his childhood and likely just something biochemically wrong with him.

Fergie wouldn't be able to save someone from say cancer, and Gazza is unfortunately just as much suffering from illness. :D

Although maybe he needs something like a Terry Mac role to help him.

Fergie is a good man manager, and being under someone like that might have helped (career, football and generally), but Gazza needs and needed a lot more than that, his problems don't come from guidance so much as probably his childhood and likely just something biochemically wrong with him.

Fergie wouldn't be able to save someone from say cancer, and Gazza is unfortunately just as much suffering from illness. :D

Although maybe he needs something like a Terry Mac role to help him.

I know what you mean, i saw that documentary about Gazza's life and particluarly his childhood that was on a few years ago, but i think Fergie and being at manu would have saved his career from ending up as it did (which still wasnt bad, just barey a fraction of what it should have been). I just think someof his problems came about or were made worse by things that happened in his career and that those would have been changed.

But we'll never know sadly.