When did it all start to go wrong ?

Jimbo

The summer of 2003 when we only signed Bowyer on a free.

Absolutely....

Shepherds famous "keeping our powder dry" line.

I was gonna say Dalglish coming in, replacing Keegans attacking philosophy with a European style game and bringing in "experienced" players, but yours is probably a better call.

Absolutely....

I was gonna say Dalglish coming in, replacing Keegans attacking philosophy with a European style game and bringing in "experienced" players, but yours is probably a better call.

for "keeping our powder dry" read: "We've got no fucking money left, I need to suck some cocks over at Northern Rock"

For me it started to go wrong when Keegan decided to go, due to the issue of going public.

We went for the wrong man in Dalglish who dismantled rather than built upon what was already there.

This was proven by the fact that when we did appoint the man, the like of whom we should have appointed, Sir Bob, things started to turn forward again.

Only to be reversed again by the calamitous handling of his leaving of the club.

Everything started to wrong after that horrendous tackle on Olivier Bernard at Everton. It was 1-1, we were looking like going on to win the game, which would've put level with Arsenal and 3 points above Man Utd, Gravesen stamps on his knee, most disgraceful tackle ever, no free kick and from that very incident we concede a pen 10 seconds later, lose 2-1, and the confidence was shot. The next week was the 2-6, and it's been shit ever since, just prior to that JJ got young player of the season, fuck knows what for, and he plummeted to new depths too.

The match against Partizan Belgrade gets my vote.

I agree, also iirc it was Woodgate that kept the ball in play 3/4 of the way up the pitch, backheeled it in and then a partizan player got the ball took it down the pitch and with only 3 defenders back they scored. Woodys fault the Bastard :hiya: .

Edited by Barton7

Absolutely....

Wasn't it Robson who came out with that one?

I think Bobby not being adequately replaced was more harmful than his actual sacking.

Agree - still think he'd lost it but the timing was terrible (which led to the replacement imo).

The Belgrade match is a very good shout.

One way to assess it though is the season that finished with us and Liverpool practically identical, fighting for 4th place and little to separate the two clubs at the time (in the league. Obviously they'd won soem cups before that year!)

They decided correctly things were goign backwards with their manager, moved him on at a sensible time with a plan of action already in place to get a top european coach in and give him the time to get his players in and work with them pre-season for the year ahead. They won the CL and (this season apart) are a fixture in the top 4.

Our fuckwitt of a chairman kept on Bobby when it was his time to move on, or even up to another role at the club. He then got rid of him at a stupid time, with no plan at all in place causing chaos. He followed that by making the most moronic appointment possible seeing us spiral downards faster than ever. Then somehow concluded Souness should start the next season, ruining us further, and then dumped him and decided to make Roder the long term choice after that!

We went from being top 5 and just needing a new top manager brought in then to fine tune things and get us moving forwards again and turned into what we are now!

For me it started to go wrong when Keegan decided to go, due to the issue of going public.

We went for the wrong man in Dalglish who dismantled rather than built upon what was already there.

This was proven by the fact that when we did appoint the man, the like of whom we should have appointed, Sir Bob, things started to turn forward again.

Only to be reversed again by the calamitous handling of his leaving of the club.

i am not defending what Daglish did but he do something good in his time at SJP he brought back the reserves something Keegan had got rid of

The Souness appointment was very reminiscent of the Dalglish appointment in the sense that both had replaced managers who liked their teams to be creative. Souness and Dalglish were more concerned with defence, however neither got it right and in doing so, dismantled a very good team. There were obviously cracks in the Robson side which were showing, but if Robson had been moved upstairs the season before his sacking and helped to appoint a new manager, we may have been still up there challenging for honours.