When did it all start to go wrong ?

Jimbo

Initially when the club went public.

Then after the club had regrouped, when it looked like the team was possibily good enough to challenge for the title and Manchester United came to SJP and won 3-5, 23 Nov 2002.

Although we finished 3rd that season it was obvious the club was still off the pace and then that game in the CL qualifying.

When Abramovic took over Chelsea. I know this may sound stupid but I really think it knocked the stuffing out of us. Before that we really were within touching distance of the top two and looking to pull away from Liverpool. When he took over suddenly there was a team out of no where who could sign pretty much any player in the world and we were knocked down another peg.

For me this led to a big hangover the next season which Robson (in particular) couldn't seem to get over and led to the fat prick replacing him with that clown Souness which completely destroyed the team Robson had built.

The summer of 2003 when we only signed Bowyer on a free.

I'd go with this. We were in a position to attract players and build on an excellent position. Missed opportunity.

We would have done had we got the CL money so I'm saying the Partizan match also.

2003-04 was really a painful season. We had some very high expectations but played some pretty shitty footie most of the time and scraped to 5th in the end. Neither us or Liverpool seemed to really want to finish 4th.

The turning was certainly some time between the 6-2 and Partizan.