Newcastle plan bid for Hibs striker Fletcher

khay

tribalfooball.com - February 27, 2008

Hibs striker Steven Fletcher has emerged as a top target for Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan.

The Daily Mail says the Geordies were at Parkhead to watch Celtic's £12million-rated man-of-the-moment Aiden McGeady in action against Barcelona last week.

And now Keegan has identified Fletcher as worthy of closer attention.

Under pressure Keegan has admitted he is willing to look north for signing targets and recently said: "I am not saying there are 20 players in Scotland who are worthy of attention, but there are four or five players up there who are very decent prospects.

"First and foremost, I am looking for players with experience from within the British Isles and, preferably, having played in the Premiership. But the next step after that, if we can't get those ones, is Scotland."

tribalfooball.com

Stopped reading at that point.

It's just regurgitated from the Daily Mail though, and there's quotes there. It probably holds some water, atleast a bit.

I think McGeady would be a good signing from what i've seen. He looked good against Barcelona the other night, and if it means offloading Duff then i think it's a good plan. I don't mind Duff but he hasn't really got it for the Top 6 anymore, even though he's improved a lot since the crap he served up last season. He's got decent movement and is pretty intelligent, but he's still pretty slow, struggles to beat his man and has got bugger all crossing ability.

Knowing the current situation though, McGeady would probably be a replacement moreso for N'Zogbia. <_<

Know nowt about Fletcher.

tbf none of our starting eleven have it for the top 6 anymore.

I'm struggling to think of any of our players that would get into any of the top six sides tbh

Martins would, and possibly Owen purely for his name.

I'm struggling to think of any of our players that would get into any of the top six sides tbh

Martins for who? Owen no chance tbh

Martins for who? Owen no chance tbh

To replace Kuyt and Andrew Johnson.

Edited by khay

Martins probably the only player in the league that is more inconsistent than Kuyt.

Johnson would keep his place on virtue that Moyes wouldn't want to break a partnership up for a hit-and-miss slight improvement.

Edited by Sima

Beye, perhaps. I'm struggling after that. N'Zogbia has the potential to but needs to get back to his form of 2 seasons ago.

Fletcher is a good prospect. He has scored 13 goals for Hibs this season. Technically good(unlike our other strikers), can hold the ball up( unlike AS), isn't a midget(like our other strikers) and has an eye for goal(what do I say). However he is still developing and is very young. If he was one of two striker signings I would be happy but not the sole one.