i want a wii

paddy

like it says I want a Wii, seen one 179 in argos might be getting it, what games are worth buying, what can be done to the console.

please share your thoughts

Just get it, played Smarty pants on mine last night, fantastic fun.

Jo was going to get that for when her nephews are around because it's supposed to grade the questions by your age but I heard that the game wants the kids to answer quite quickly and therefore mostly they run out of time - that true?

Ive never been overly enamoured with these. Good party machines but id imagine the whole interactive thing would get a bit boring after a while on your own.

In comparison, COD4 on the 360 still has me online every week since the day i bought it!

There are some really good non "party" games on the console too. Especially if you like the old style nintendo series. Both Zelda and Mario are excellent 1 player games. Zack and Wiki is a class little puzzle game too.

Recently i have been playing the Resident Evil 4 port onto it, the new controls for it add another dimension to the game.

Just get it, played Smarty pants on mine last night, fantastic fun.

Jo was going to get that for when her nephews are around because it's supposed to grade the questions by your age but I heard that the game wants the kids to answer quite quickly and therefore mostly they run out of time - that true?

It might be, it does ask for ages when setting up the game but all the players were of the same age group when I played, I guess you could set all the ages the same if that were the case.

I find it quite amusing the way a lot of the Wii games are branded as childish (they are like). Isn't sitting at your PC/X-box or whatever and pretending to take part in the Normandy Landings or drive a rally car a bit childish too?

Edited by alex

I find it quite amusing the way a lot of the Wii games are branded as childish (they are like). Isn't sitting at your PC/X-box or whatever and pretending to take part in the Normandy Landings or drive a rally car a bit childish too?

I think they mean that games for the PS3 and 360 tend to have blood and guts flying everywhere.

Edited by khay

I think they mean that games for the PS3 and 360 tend to have blood and guts flying everywhere.

I realise that but playing shoot 'em up games with blood and guts flying everywhere is childish as fuck too.

I realise that but playing shoot 'em up games with blood and guts flying everywhere is childish as fuck too.

I agree to some extent, I was just giving the a reason as to why people brand the Wii games as childish. I also think they take in to account the Cartoon graphics as a major factor as well.

I agree to some extent, I was just giving the a reason as to why people brand the Wii games as childish. I also think they take in to account the Cartoon graphics as a major factor as well.

I know. I was just giving the reason why the argument seemed a funny one. I think the Wii's mint fwiw.

Ok, for example a film that is rated 18 because it contains sex and violence would be deemed a film for an adult and not a child same for computer games whether or not the idea of having fun from doing these things is deemed as childish. The Wii for example does not really have much of these games . Does that make more sense?

Ok, for example a film that is rated 18 because it contains sex and violence would be deemed a film for an adult and not a child same for computer games whether or not the idea of having fun from doing these things is deemed as childish. The Wii for example does not really have much of these games . Does that make more sense?

I understand the reason people make the observation man <_< I just don't think it bears much scrutiny.

I understand the reason people make the observation man <_< I just don't think it bears much scrutiny.

Ah ok, sorry. :D

I like playing my games. :razz:

That's ok mate. I do too, although I don't play much now and don't own any of the latest ones. Thinking about getting a Wii though as that would get played at weekends when I'm home and people come round. Mario Galaxy looks quality too. I've always liked the Mario games.

That's ok mate. I do too, although I don't play much now and don't own any of the latest ones. Thinking about getting a Wii though as that would get played at weekends when I'm home and people come round. Mario Galaxy looks quality too. I've always liked the Mario games.

Mario is quality, however I have to sit and watch my girlfriend play as she is rubbish and needs supervision so the controller does not end up through my T.V!

However the two player is quite handy as you can paralyze enemies and make Mario Jump.

I've just had a shifty around Play.com at some of the games coming out of the Wii...

Asterix at the Olympics looks fucking class like :razz:

And I see they're bringing out a new version of Mario Kart! <_<

I've just had a shifty around Play.com at some of the games coming out of the Wii...

Asterix at the Olympics looks fucking class like :razz:

And I see they're bringing out a new version of Mario Kart! <_<

They had it pre-order on Amazon for 19.99 the other day. Managed to get an order in but I don't know if they will honour it.

Asterix at the Olympics looks fucking class like :D

And I see they're bringing out a new version of Mario Kart! :razz:

Online battlemode could be a bit addictive. <_<

• 4 months later...
Nintendo unveiled a highly-sensitive motion controller add-on for its Wii system as it seeks to capitalise on its position as the global console leader.

At the E3 games conference in Los Angeles, the firm showed off its Wii MotionPlus, which it promised would add more realism and depth to games.

The company has sold more than 10 million Wii consoles and 70 million DS handheld machines worldwide.

Rival Sony has announced a larger capacity version of its PlayStation 3.

At a later press conference, Sony unveiled a film download service and an 80-gigabyte hard drive version of PS3 for gamers in North America.

Surprise success

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said innovation was key for the company.

"Even if it is revolutionary sooner or later, people become tired of a new form of entertainment," he said.

Addressing the rapid turnaround in Nintendo's fortunes over the last two years, Mr Iwata admitted that the success of the company had taken even staff at Nintendo by surprise.

Referring to the success of the Wii, and peripherals like the balance board, he said: "Everyone had a pessimistic view of Nintendo in 2003.

"Even Nintendo employees could not have imagined that five years later the market respond so quickly that we could sell millions of bathroom scales around the world."

:D

Mr Iwata, who was speaking to media at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, said the firm's success had resulted in a paradigm shift in the industry, with hardware sales growing in periods outside the traditional high spots, and software titles like Brain Training and Nintendogs having two-year life spans on retail shelves.

Nintendo said recently European sales of the Wii numbered more than 200,000 each week.

But Mr Iwata did not touch upon supply issues that have continued to affect Wii sales almost two years after its launch.

Screen Digest analyst Piers Harding-Rolls said Nintendo were proving to be very determined and targeted in their approach.

"They are very good at designing hardware and the production line of content; they have got a knack of producing great content and if they keep doing that, they keep innovating."

New titles to come

Launching the Wii MotionPlus, which plugs into the existing Wiimote controller, Nintendo America boss Reggie Fils-Aime said: "It renders every light shift of the wrist or arm into the gameplay."

The firm also unveiled WiiSports Resort, the first title to takes advantage of the new add-on.

Wii sports games will get a boost from the new add-on

Nintendo fans hoping to learn new details on established franchises like Mario and Zelda were left disappointed. Mr Iwata said only that the teams behind the games were "hard at work" and new titles were under development.

The company did unveil a Grand Theft Auto game in development for the DS console and a new Wii title, called Music, which sees gamers play more than 50 musical instruments by using the Wiimote motion-sensitive controller.

Mr Iwata said the success of the Wii and the DS was proof of a new form of social interaction developing.

He said: "I believe we must find more ways for players to feel engaged, different ways for them to be enriched. The overall experience from our products must be increased enthusiasm."

Online revolution

Across Los Angeles, at the Shrine Auditorium, Sony America boss Jack Tretton delivered his vision for the firm in the coming months.

He told the audience that Sony had succeeded in the business by taking a long-term view of a console's lifespan, pointing out that some of the biggest games for the previous generation PlayStation 2 were not delivered until a number of years into its cycle.

"We're well on the way to selling more than 10 million PlayStation 3s," he said.

The emphasis of the briefing was on the firm's online service, PlayStation network, which offers games, films and TV content.

Unveiling the new film download system, he said: "Just as our (online) game store serves all game publishers, the PlayStation Network video delivery service is open for business for all studios and networks."

Users will be able to download titles to their PlayStation 3 or PC, and transfer them to a PlayStation portable console.

"It's a huge step towards advancing the PSP and PlayStation 3 value. The PSP is part of our overall strategy to bring movies and games to the living room."

A number of new games were unveiled at the press conference, including MAG, a massively multiplayer online first person shooter. Up to 256 gamers will be able to do battle in teams of eight across the PlayStation Network.

God of War 3, a sequel to the popular Sony franchise, was announced for the PS3 and the audience was shown new footage of titles like first-person shooter Resistance 2 and action-platform game LittleBigPlanet, which has an October release date.

Mr Harding-Rolls said Sony's briefing delivered the most excitement in terms of announcements for gamers.

"The video store has been coming for a long time. But the download-to-own aspect of content is a coup in comparison to the rental model on Xbox Live.

"They are also more varied in their strategies for digital distribution of premium gaming content than their rivals."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7508743.stm