Woodgate set to play

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Woodgate itching for Real run-out

Jonathan Woodgate says he is in perfect shape to make his much-delayed first start for Real Madrid against Athletic Bilbao on Thursday evening.

He should make his first start since last year's £13.4m move from Newcastle after overcoming a major thigh problem.

"The injury doesn't bother me at all. Thanks to all the doctors and physios I am fine," he said.

"I've dreamt about this every day and night since I came here. It's become my obsession, now it can become reality."

The 25-year-old former Leeds player was on the bench for Saturday's defeat by Espanyol, and with Madrid having lost two of their three opening games and conceded six goals from set-pieces, his height would be welcome in defence.

Woodgate says he knows exactly what the team need to do.

"Rather than dream about scoring, I dream my team can keep a clean sheet, because if we do that we will be a step closer to winning," he said.

His comeback will be well timed for England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, at the start of a World Cup season.

But after such a long lay-off, Woodgate is being cautious about his comeback.

"It is still very early to talk about that, my first aim is to play football again," said Woodgate.

"I will try to do well for Real Madrid and if I get some consistency then I can say I am available for Mr Eriksson, but at the moment I am logically just thinking about Madrid."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...ope/4263244.stm

Published: 2005/09/22 12:04:58 GMT

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Not the best of debuts was it!

To be fair he could have got a straight red for the first challenge itself.

But once he gets match fit and IF he can stay away from further injury he'll show them that he's one of the best defenders in the game.

How bloody unlucky can you get? :lol: Here's the BBC's report if anyone want it..

Woodgate endures disastrous debut 

Jonathan Woodgate suffered a torrid Real Madrid debut, scoring a spectacular own goal and then being sent off against Athletic Bilbao.

In the first half Woodgate, 25, stooped to clear a Joseba Etxeberria shot only to head the ball past Iker Casillas.

Woodgate was red-carded on 65 minutes after picking up a second yellow card.

Despite Woodgate's sending off Real went on to comfortably beat Bilbao 3-1, with goals from Brazilian Robinho and a brace from captain Raul.

Woodgate's first yellow card came when he lunged at Bilbao midfielder Carlos Gurpegi just before the interval.

The second booking was for a foul on Etxeberria.

Woodgate confessed: "It was not the best start in the world."

On his own goal, he said: "I couldn't believe it. I went to try to block the ball and it just skimmed off my head. Obviously, I did not want to get an own goal."

As for his dismissal, the former Leeds United player added: "I just can't believe I got sent off. I didn't think the second yellow card was right, you know, but it's the referee's decision.

"I want to thank the public, who were brilliant when I was walking off. They were all clapping and cheering."

Injury to Ivan Helguera and a suspension for Sergio Ramos had allowed the central defender to make his debut over a year after joining Real from Newcastle in a £13.4m move.

Woodgate had not started a competitive match since tearing a thigh muscle in a Premiership game against Chelsea on 25 April 2004.

He had been due to make his debut for Real last October but suffered a recurrence of the injury in a training game.

Woodgate did make a brief appearance for Real in the final five minutes of a pre-season match in August.

On a positive note, the Englishman came through his debut without any adverse physical reaction.

"Physically I felt good," he said. "My leg was no problem and I felt strong."

He also vowed: " I will come back stronger."

Ah well, I suppose at least he didn't injure himself again.