Materazzi wins Daily Star apology

Besty

Italian footballer Marco Materazzi has won an apology and undisclosed damages from the Daily Star over claims he racially insulted Zinedine Zidane.

The newspaper story alleged he called the French player's mother a "terrorist whore" during the 2006 World Cup final, resulting Zidane headbutting him.

The Star said it apologised for the "distress and embarrassment".

Inter Milan defender Materazzi is still seeking damages at the High Court from the Sun and the Daily Mail newspapers.

He said: "I really appreciate the apology published in The Daily Star. The truth is now coming out - finally."

Damages and costs

The Italian international launched proceedings over coverage in the 11 July 2006 edition of the Daily Star.

The newspaper ran a series of articles along with a front-page photograph of Materazzi captioned with a speech bubble of the alleged taunt.

In its apology, the Daily Star said: "We now accept that Mr Materazzi did not say anything of a racist nature nor use the description of Zidane's mother such as to goad the Frenchman.

"We apologise to Mr Materazzi for the distress and embarrassment caused by our allegations. We have agreed to pay him damages and his legal costs."

Following the headbutting incident, in July 2006, Materazzi was handed a two-match ban by world governing body Fifa.

France's captain Zidane, playing his last match before retiring from football, was banned for three games and fined £3,260.

At the time he claimed he was provoked after Materazzi had "insulted his mother". But he has never specified exactly what Materazzi said to him and has refused to apologise to his opponent.

Materazzi later stated that Zidane's sister was the subject.

"I was tugging his shirt, he said to me 'if you want my shirt so much I'll give it to you afterwards,' and I answered that I'd prefer his sister," he said.

:nufc:

Much better. :nufc:

He's a twat like... And I don't think he likes Shevchenko either judging by that video. :nufc:

You can bet sheva really used to shit himself before playing inter

Did he play for Inter against us when they beat us 4-1?

Yep, and got Bellamy sent off by winding him up. prick.

Aye, Bellamy was a tempestuous prick.

Edited by ewerk

I can remember when we played Everton at home and he got caught in possession and we scored. He had a bit of a mare there too. Obviously players develop etc. and it wasn't the best of sides he was playing but I think it shows the difference in the pace and physicality between the PL and Serie A too (especially back then) as he's been class since he went back home.

Yes because Bellamy just had to kick him didn't he? :nufc:

Shearer should have been sent off later in the game for an elbow too.

He mauled Cannavaro like. Although Cannavaro actually wanted to defend him for it, but UEFA weren't having any of it. Almeyda scored a class goal iirc. As did the enigma that is Recoba when he came on with one of his first touches.

Shearer should have been sent off later in the game for an elbow too.

He mauled Cannavaro like. Although Cannavaro actually wanted to defend him for it, but UEFA weren't having any of it. Almeyda scored a class goal iirc. As did the enigma that is Recoba when he came on with one of his first touches.

Thats what made it 'not that bad', the fact they were fucking class :nufc:

Yes because Bellamy just had to kick him didn't he? :nufc:

It was probably a premeditated deliberate act on behalf Materazzi/Inter. Quite clever to get one up but he is still a prick of huge magnitude.