Reserves through to npower Northumberland Senior Cup Final

Besty

Newcastle United Reserves 2, Whitley Bay 1

NEWCASTLE needed extra time to tip brave Whitley Bay out of the npower Northumberland Senior Cup and line up a final showdown with Blyth Spartans.

For a long while, United seemed to have done enough thanks to James Troisi’s 20th-minute goal at Whitley Park, Benton.

But when the first 90 minutes went over into time for stoppages, Lee Kerr, a former trialist at Newcastle under Glenn Roeder, blasted home a superb 19-yard free-kick in the third and last minute of time added on.

However, United’s greater know-how told in the ninth minute of extra time, when Troisi slipped a great ball through for Wesley Ngo Baheng to chisel a 12-yard chip over the sprawling Terry Burke.

Newcastle had looked good in the early stages when Italian striker Fabio Zamblera fired inches wide with a great chance,.

But Bay might have been ahead in the third minute, when Paul Chow shot side of the left post after a good pass from Kerr.

Troisi produced a great burst of speed to zip between Bay’s two centre-halves and plant a firm right-foot shot beyond Burke’s left hand.

And had Mark Minto not stopped a Ngo Baheng header on the line 10 minutes later the tie would have slipped out of reach for the non-leaguers.

But instead the FA Vase semi-finalists came back strongly at Newcastle and four minutes before the interval Kerr nodded a magnificent chance wide from Chris Moore’s cross.

Whitley Bay gained the upper hand in the second half and Ben Tozer had to deflect a 78th-minute Kerr rocket wide, while United keeper Ole Soderberg tipped over a Kerr header a minute before the equalizer.

Twice in the first three minutes of extra time Jonny Godsmark was through on goal but was denied by Burke.

And even when the odds were firmly against them, Bay almost grabbed another last-gasp equalizer when Minto’s 120th-minute header clipped the base of Soderberg’s left post.

NEWCASTLE UNITED RESERVES: Soderberg; Morris, Lough, Doninger (Bertram 62), Tozer, Kadar, Godsmark, Troisi, Zamblera (Donaldson 62), Ngo Baheng (Marwood 99), LuaLua. Subs (not used): Francis, Cook.

WHITLEY BAY: Burke; Taylor, Picton (Smith 66), Dugdale (sub Rowe 64), Coulson, Minto, Moore, Robson, Kerr, Chow (Porter 87), Robinson. Subs not used: Reay, Kindley.

Attendance: 884

Whitley got bigger fish to fry tbh.

What like?

Just reading their website ...I have played with a few of their players.

They're in the semis (Lowestoft Town) of the Vase.

What like?

Jimbo versus SLP!

What like?

Jimbo versus SLP!

Big group of lads I know going down to Lowestoft for the weekend for the football and the piss up. I chose to go to Anfield instead. Whoops.

What like?

Jimbo versus SLP!

Big group of lads I know going down to Lowestoft for the weekend for the football and the piss up. I chose to go to Anfield instead. Whoops.

Your loss ! missing out on the cosmopolitan capital of East Anglia !! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Whitley are charging a fucking tenner for the return leg next week...greedy bastards.

They might want to revisit that decision.

Just got back from Blyth vs Kettering. Spartans winning 2-0 against the champions elect.

These fans who leave early.

???

Well, you said they were winning which implied the game was still going on when you left. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously btw.

Just got back from Blyth vs Kettering. Spartans winning 2-0 against the champions elect.

These fans who leave early.

???

Well, you said they were winning which implied the game was still going on when you left. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously btw.

Ahh, get you now :fool:

Ok, Blyth won 2-0, and so I departed the stadium :nufc: