The official Liverpool Vs Newcastle United Arse-raping thread

Jimbo

Liverpool v Newcastle

Anfield

Saturday, 8 March

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

BBC coverage: Live on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool's Javier Mascherano (muscle injury) and Steve Finnan (hamstring) are out of the game with Newcastle.

Daniel Agger is continuing his comeback from a broken metatarsal but is thought unlikely to figure.

Joey Barton is unavailable due to his bail conditions, while Newcastle will also be without the injured trio of Mark Viduka, Emre and Stephen Carr.

Nicky Butt, who limped off against Blackburn last weekend, has been declared fit to play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Hyypia, Riise, Aurelio, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Torres, Kuyt, Crouch, Lucas, Itandje.

Newcastle (from): Harper, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Faye, Cacapa, Butt, N'Zogbia, Milner, Duff, Owen, Smith, Martins, Carroll, Edgar, Forster, Geremi.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez:

"We have been growing in confidence. The whole side believes that Fernando Torres is in the sort of form that will produce goals.

"Winning three games on the trot has helped our quest for fourth place.

"But we must now beat Newcastle before we turn our attention to the Champions League at Inter Milan next week."

Newcastle's former Liverpool striker Michael Owen:

"If you get a result at your old club it's always nice. Then you can meet old friends, knowing you've given them a good game.

"You don't want to be sticking your head down and sliding out of a side door to get back on the coach and get back up the road.

"When we're firing on all cylinders we can complete with some of the best teams in the Premier League."

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimbo, we wouldnt beat their reserve team at the moment. :lol:

Agreed, but thats what Barnsley thought too

2:1 Us. Owen grabbing the 2nd in the 88th min. My son agreed with me this morning.

Mind you, he can't speak yet so what does he know. Given our form though and the rate his legs move, I reckon if I drove him to Anfield today he'd get his game :D

Hmmmm, might have started on the Grolsh a little early today........ :lol:

Edited by maggiespaws

I think it might actually be a tight game this one rather than the expected arse raping, though Torres appearance or not may have a big say on that!

But i don't think we're going to do badly today, hope i'm right!

We are fucked

TEAMS

LFC: Jose Reina, John Arne Riise, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun, Xabi Alonso, Jermaine Pennant, Alvaro Arbeloa, Lucas, Jamie Carragher, Martin Skrtel

Subs: Charles Itandje, Sam Hyypia, Peter Crouch, Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel

NUFC: Steve Harper, Habib Beye, Jose Enrique, Steven Taylor, Abdoulaye Faye, Nicky Butt, Charles N'Zogbia, James Milner, Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Alan Smith

Subs: Fraser Forster, Oba Martins, Claudio Cacapa, Andy Carroll, Geremi

Martins on the bench. :lol:

Have to say i agree with him in the respect that we need a consistent team with similar personnel, but this consistency is going to send us down. Taylor in for Caçapa - why? Smith in for Martins - why? Butt still can't get out of the team - why?

Rubbish. 3-0 Liverpool.

Edited by Yorkie-Geordie

Owen up front on his own, Smith in MF more defensive role with Butt apparently.

we are fucked

Front trio of Owen, with Milner and Duff on the wings/supporting strikers. I swear that was the last thing Allardyce tried in the Premier League before he got sacked. Fairly sure we lost 6-0 last time we played a top four team with Owen up top on his own, too.

What's he playing at? I desperately want Keegan to succeed and i think he can, but what's more worrying than anything, is that he's making the exact same decisions that Allardyce did line-up/subs-wise that got him sacked, with the team looking less fit aswell.

Front trio of Owen, with Milner and Duff on the wings/supporting strikers. I swear that was the last thing Allardyce tried in the Premier League before he got sacked. Fairly sure we lost 6-0 last time we played a top four team with Owen up top on his own, too.

What's he playing at? I desperately want Keegan to succeed and i think he can, but what's more worrying than anything, is that he's making the exact same decisions that Allardyce did line-up/subs-wise that got him sacked, with the team looking less fit aswell.

Given what he has (both in terms of the full squad, tiny and lacking in quality and options that it is, and the fit squad, even smaller) he probably doesn't have much choice.

Trying for a 3-4 win at the moment at Liverpool isn't going to end up with a 4-3 loss, but more likely a 4-0 loss.

All things considered a draw will be a pretty major triumph.