Sven Goran Erikson

RlCO

Guest Stevie
Am I the only one who can't see what Thompers is so pleased about?

:lol:

Imagine standing in a bar with the cunt, would be a laugh a minute eh?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigThompers

The charver instantly imagines me in an alcohol-fueled scenario. You'll be there every night are you? Couple of pints, then off home to beat the missus?

Proving Stevie wrong. Picking up on his spelling mistakes after he picked on my typo's!

What are you struggling with?!

The idea that patronize isn't an American spelling.

I don't care about where spellings were conceived. Half the English words we have don't originate from England, but patronize is American where patronise is English.

Right?

Proving Stevie wrong. Picking up on his spelling mistakes after he picked on my typo's!

Tut tut :lol:

The idea that patronize isn't an American spelling.

I don't care about where spellings were conceived. Half the English words we have don't originate from England, but patronize is American where patronise is English.

Right?

Both are correct iirc but I consider 'ize' to be more US and 'ise' to be 'proper' English.

I'll continue to give the Trent a wide berth if this is representative of the patter like.

Owned is a slang word,[1][2] e.g. "You just got owned" or "i own you", that originated among 1990s hackers, where it referred to "rooting" or gaining administrative control over someone else's computer.

Oh, so it's not American then? You just make it too easy for me, Steph!

Well given web history I'd blame the Americans, given how high a percent of web usage was US based then (or even now).

The thing I would absolutely start WW3 over though (with them) is the term "I could care less", when they actually mean "I couldn't care less" or at best "like I could care less". How can you be the worlds most powerful country and not be sure if you can or cannot care less? :D:lol::lol:

Guest Patrokles
Owned is a slang word,[1][2] e.g. "You just got owned" or "i own you", that originated among 1990s hackers, where it referred to "rooting" or gaining administrative control over someone else's computer.

Oh, so it's not American then? You just make it too easy for me, Steph!

Well given web history I'd blame the Americans, given how high a percent of web usage was US based then (or even now).

The thing I would absolutely start WW3 over though (with them) is the term "I could care less", when they actually mean "I couldn't care less" or at best "like I could care less". How can you be the worlds most powerful country and not be sure if you can or cannot care less? :D:lol::lol:

Agree completely there. I've explained it to several whilst over here. One by one, they're seeing the light.

Dropping the "...is concerned" from the end of the phrase "as far as [x] is concerned" is another Yank special that should be a hanging offence.

Never heard this one. You mean like "as far as Mackems, they're shite" v. "as far as Mackems are concerned, they're shite?" That's new on me. Most Americans say "as far as Mackems go."

"I could care less" is infuriating however, I agree. All "-ize" are American spellings, not sure why we're arguing over that. I do prefer "while" to "whilst" however.

On topic, this thread should be closed to all posters except Stevie, Thompers, and Invicta_RICO and they should just go at it.

Dropping the "...is concerned" from the end of the phrase "as far as [x] is concerned" is another Yank special that should be a hanging offence.

Never heard this one. You mean like "as far as Mackems, they're shite" v. "as far as Mackems are concerned, they're shite?" That's new on me. Most Americans say "as far as Mackems go."

I seem to hear it all the time on American TV, especially on "reality" shows (your Top Models, American Idols, Amazing Races, Survivors and the like). Maybe it's just a certain type of media-whore vocabulary that you don't get in actual real life...

Edited by Meenzer

"I could care less" is infuriating however, I agree. All "-ize" are American spellings, not sure why we're arguing over that. I do prefer "while" to "whilst" however.

On topic, this thread should be closed to all posters except Stevie, Thompers, and Invicta_RICO and they should just go at it.

...or should that be "have at it"? /anotheramericanism]

Not so much an Americanism, but for me, one of the most irritating phrases I hear these days is that every opinion offered must be prefixed with the phrase, 'for me'. I think it started on Match of the Day, as it's rife in football, but it is starting to intrude into other areas of life.

Guest Stevie
Not so much an Americanism, but for me, one of the most irritating phrases I hear these days is that every opinion offered must be prefixed with the phrase, 'for me'. I think it started on Match of the Day, as it's rife in football, but it is starting to intrude into other areas of life.

I can just hear Hansen saying in a loud voice "FOR MEEEEEEE, HE ISNAE HAPPY THERE"

Guest BigThompers

Hansen's accent isn't broad enough for him to say isnae.

I've just linked you idiots to evidence that 'ize' isn't exclusively American, so am I the only one to understand that it's not an Americanism?

Guest Stevie
Hansen's accent isn't broad enough for him to say isnae.

I've just linked you idiots to evidence that 'ize' isn't exclusively American, so am I the only one to understand that it's not an Americanism?

Technically you're actually right, but ize is very much associated with the American usage of the English language rather than our own.

Hansen has been doing Match of The Day since August 1992, and I can't remember one show where he hasn't used the word "isnae".

A few facts just to help everyone understand in the end no one really cares.

'ize' is indeed the old English spelling and pronunciation.

'ise' is the correct contemporary English spelling and pronunciation.

The fact is that American pronunciations are the original English pronunciations of the English language.

American English was born out of the sectarian English Christians who settled in the States to avoid persecution in their native country.

A few facts just to help everyone understand in the end no one really cares.

'ize' is indeed the old English spelling and pronunciation.

'ise' is the correct contemporary English spelling and pronunciation.

The fact is that American pronunciations are the original English pronunciations of the English language.

American English was born out of the sectarian English Christians who settled in the States to avoid persecution in their native country.

Yup freedom to not use "n't" or "not" to make nonsensical statements was one of Bush's key election pledges, the precedent dating back to the 1639 hanging of Anne Dyer for daring to use "n't" to actually make sense.

Fortunately after several years of legal wrangling Faith No More decided to redo their original song "We care a bunch". :lol:

Edited by Fop

• 2 years later...
Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has been appointed to coach Ivory Coast at the World Cup in South Africa.

An announcement was made on Sunday, with Mark Hughes and former Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster also coming under consideration for the role.

A statement from the country's football federation said: "He's an experienced coach who has proved himself.

"His objective is to ensure an honourable participation at the upcoming World Cup."

Bosnian coach Vahid Halilhodzic was sacked last month after the Elephants failed to reach the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals.

Ivory Coast, led by Chelsea's Didier Drogba, are drawn with Brazil, Portugal and North Korea in Group G at the World Cup in South Africa in June and July.

Swede Eriksson joined England in 2001 after a successful club management career in Europe, including an Italian championship with Lazio in 2000.

He led England to two World Cup quarter-finals but the high point of his reign was the 5-1 win over Germany in the qualifiers for Japan and South Korea only months after he had taken over.

Since leaving England after the 2006 World Cup, he managed Manchester City, Mexico and was director of football at Notts County.

No details were given about the length of Eriksson's contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8587871.stm

Kerching!