Keegan keeps eye on Scots talent

Scottish Mag

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan may be planning a Scottish transfer raid to bolster his struggling squad.

Keegan told BBC Scotland: "I think you'll see more and more Premier League managers looking at Scotland because there is some talent here.

"We're like any club - we will look anywhere for talent and, at the moment, Scotland's got four or five players.

"Alan Hutton's gone to Spurs and there are a few others. Maybe that hasn't been the case for the last few years."

Keegan did not mention any names but has been linked with Celtic trio Aiden McGeady, Scott McDonald and Scott Brown as well as Hibs striker Steven Fletcher.

And Newcastle are sure to embark on a summer spending spree after a miserable season.

Speaking at the launch of a new initiative for his Soccer Circus in Glasgow, Keegan also had words of encouragement for Scotland manager George Burley.

"It's not an easy job, as I found out," added the former England boss.

"But I think Scottish football is in good hands.

"Scotland have really shot up the rankings in recent years and it looks like they have got a great squad together.

"I won't give George any advice. He knows the easiest way to do the job well is to win football matches."

Guest Stevie
Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan may be planning a Scottish transfer raid to bolster his struggling squad.

Keegan told BBC Scotland: "I think you'll see more and more Premier League managers looking at Scotland because there is some talent here.

"We're like any club - we will look anywhere for talent and, at the moment, Scotland's got four or five players.

"Alan Hutton's gone to Spurs and there are a few others. Maybe that hasn't been the case for the last few years."

Keegan did not mention any names but has been linked with Celtic trio Aiden McGeady, Scott McDonald and Scott Brown as well as Hibs striker Steven Fletcher.

And Newcastle are sure to embark on a summer spending spree after a miserable season.

Speaking at the launch of a new initiative for his Soccer Circus in Glasgow, Keegan also had words of encouragement for Scotland manager George Burley.

"It's not an easy job, as I found out," added the former England boss.

"But I think Scottish football is in good hands.

"Scotland have really shot up the rankings in recent years and it looks like they have got a great squad together.

"I won't give George any advice. He knows the easiest way to do the job well is to win football matches."

None of the players in Scotland are good enough to play for top four teams, even Nakamura, and if we want short term fixes to get us in a mid table position fine sign the best three or four players from that league, but they'll only ever be short term fixes, if our ultimate goal is getting back in the CL over the next five years.

I'd have McGeady for no more than 5m, Brown for no more than 5m, and the young lad at Hibs and that would be it really.

Nakamura's rubbish. A one trick pony (granted a fairly useful trick) of sticking the ball in the top bin from free kicks. Brown is overrated, a good runner in midfield but very rarely, if ever, scores. Fletcher isn't even a prolific goalscorer in the SPL.

McGeady is a good player and i think he would do well in England. He isn't worth £12m though. I'd say between £5m and £7m tops.

Edited by Row Z

Guest Stevie
I was worried he might start looking to Scotland for players after working up there with his SC thing. Wasting his and our time imo

The days of getting a Mark McGhee from Celtic or a Hughie Gallagher from Airdrie are long long long gone. If you look down the years Scotland have had so many world class players they could easily have nicked a World Cup, for a long long time per head of population you could argue they produced the best players in the world. What's changed, well Buckfast and heroin haven't helped, it's a shame not as many Scots are coming through now though, it's modern culture, and to be fair the North East conveyor belt has dried up too.

Edited by Stevie

I was worried he might start looking to Scotland for players after working up there with his SC thing. Wasting his and our time imo

The days of getting a Mark McGhee from Celtic or a Hughie Gallagher from Airdrie are long long long gone. If you look down the years Scotland have had so many world class players they could easily have nicked a World Cup, for a long long time per head of population you could argue they produced the best players in the world. What's changed, well Buckfast and heroin haven't helped, it's a shame not as many Scots are coming through now though, it's modern culture, and to be fair the North East conveyor belt has dried up too.

Playstations and the likes must have played their part as well, kids can't be arsed nowadays.

Fuck Newcastle, Fuck Scotland, Fuck Mcgeady, Fuck Nakamura, Fuck Fletcher, Fuck Brown I just wanna get 3 points on the board, all those players in the Scottish league would play in the Championship, KK is planning well ahead for life in the Championship :lol:

Edit: We are all fucked :lol:

Edited by bawan

Fuck Newcastle, Fuck Scotland, Fuck Mcgeady, Fuck Nakamura, Fuck Fletcher, Fuck Brown I just wanna get 3 points on the board, all those players in the Scottish league would play in the Championship, KK is planning well ahead for life in the Championship :D

Edit: We are all fucked :lol:

:lol: