Budget

Walliver

Anyone bothered by it?

As a non-smoking, non-driving single male with no children who is unlikely to go back into education, I have to say I'm pretty unphased by it.

Alcohol always seems to go up and I reckon I can handle 4p a pint.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got family on child benefit but also have family that drive for a living. Swings and roundabouts.

Otherwise it's just the coppers on tabs and booze for me.

Someone was on the radio the other day saying wine and spirits should not get a tax rise but alcopops and Lambrini should get an astronomical hike so that kids pocket money can't get them hospitalised.

Seemed sensible to me like.

I've got family on child benefit but also have family that drive for a living. Swings and roundabouts.

Otherwise it's just the coppers on tabs and booze for me.

Someone was on the radio the other day saying wine and spirits should not get a tax rise but alcopops and Lambrini should get an astronomical hike so that kids pocket money can't get them hospitalised.

Seemed sensible to me like.

Sensible, but the thing you have to remember is taxing something like Glenmorangie and everything above and below makes a LOT more tax £££'s than just taxing the average chav tipples of choice.

But don't be fooled that it will, or even is actually intended to do anything about 13 year olds getting pissed on the street, it's not.

Basically all the alcho-nanny tax increases and all the "green" tax increases are there simply to fill in the (pretty damn substantial) revenue hole from such things as the drying up of the house market tax income, and the lack of projected growth (looking at next years bottom line growth projection, I'd say they were seriously considering the potential of recession) and they happen to be trendy enough that the Government think they can get away with it (as opposed to having to make more direct and obvious tax rises).

'Twas ever thus.

I think this year is more dishonest than usual.

The "moral" stand on fag taxes is one thing, as it is directly tackling something in at least A way.

The alcohol tax rises are pure revenue generators being sold as a panacea to something which has very little to do with alcohol price (and it must be noted that there will be continuous above inflation alcohol rises for the next 5 years as well), double the price of cheap crap (which they aren't doing anything like) and it's still well within the price range of those problem drinkers.

And the supposed "green" taxes must have a lot of spin-doctors wetting themselves for fear of being made redundant. :lol:

Fact is though, massive duty increases on alcopops etc would probably have the effect of making them unaffordable to kids so even if the motives are ulterior you can still make a strong case for it.

Fact is though, massive duty increases on alcopops etc would probably have the effect of making them unaffordable to kids so even if the motives are ulterior you can still make a strong case for it.

"Kids."

I've witnessed that picture of you with Luke sipping your Smirnoff Ice or something similar. :lol:

Aye, but that's not what they are doing (just what they want you to think they are doing), it's not a targeted increase at all. Nor would it have made as much tax £££'s as an across the board above inflation alcohol rise every year for the next 5 years.

Which will do little to actually stop most of the behaviours it's "supposed" to, and is only likely close more non-circuit type pubs down and if anything increase at home/on street/binge drinking.

Given our current alcohol prices, if binge drinking and under-age drinking were really in any real way related to price, we'd already have one of the lowest rates in the EU, but they aren't and we don't.

"Kids."

I've witnessed that picture of you with Luke sipping your Smirnoff Ice or something similar. :lol:

Here man you're just proving my point. Luke lost it that night on alcopops-went completely radg and wouldn't calm down until he had a kebab inside him and Greg had drunk so much tart fuel he thought he could fly (down the stairs of 5th Ave).

Aye, but that's not what they are doing (just what they want you to think they are doing), it's not a targeted increase at all. Nor would it have made as much tax £££'s as an across the board above inflation alcohol rise every year for the next 5 years.

Which will do little to actually stop most of the behaviours it's "supposed" to, and is only likely close more non-circuit type pubs down and if anything increase at home/on street/binge drinking.

Given our current alcohol prices, if binge drinking and under-age drinking were really in any real way related to price, we'd already have one of the lowest rates in the EU, but they aren't and we don't.

Yeah I get that it's a societal/cultural problem. If the drinks were actually unaffordable though, then kids wouldnt actually be able to afford them. That part is quite straight forward.

Where the problem diverts to after that is another matter.

"Kids."

Here man you're just proving my point. Luke lost it that night on alcopops-went completely radg and wouldn't calm down until he had a kebab inside him and Greg had drunk so much tart fuel he thought he could fly (down the stairs of 5th Ave).

Your patter's getting fucking serious like :lol:

KEY MEASURES

Delay 2p rise in fuel duty for six months

6% increase in alcohol tax - with 2% annual rise for next four years

4p on pint of beer, 3p on cider, 14p on wine, 55p on spirits

11p on packet on 20 cigarettes, 4p on five cigars

£950 higher first year rate of road tax for most polluting cars

Increase in green tax on flights

Winter fuel payment up to £250 for over-60s and to £400 for over-80s

Require supermarkets to charge for plastic bags if they do not scrap them

More cash to tackle child poverty

Help with rising energy costs for poorer families

"Kids."

:lol:

I'm banned for life!

Yeah I get that it's a societal/cultural problem. If the drinks were actually unaffordable though, then kids wouldnt actually be able to afford them. That part is quite straight forward.

Where the problem diverts to after that is another matter.

Yup, if they quadrupled the price on specific drinks they might achieve their stated ends (in the short term at least), which is what the Tories and maybe the Lib dems were talking about, but an across the board raising of all alcohol tax at 6, 2, 2, 2 & 2% above inflation isn't doing any such thing (I'm fairly sure 13 year olds aren't really buying £50 bottles of whiskey and binge drinking on the streets with it, or even averagely priced bottles of wine).

Police have actually looked at the types of alcohol usually involved in such behaviour and it's a pretty small group of products really.

It is however generating a large yearly tax boost from the vast majority of drinkers though (which is the REAL problem the Chancellor and PM are currently worried about tackling), whilst doing next to nothing to stop the issues it purportedly aimed at.

Just remember when you're enjoying the inevitable £5 pint (which given inflation rates and the new "booze escalator" can't be far off) that you're doing nothing but paying to keep the smile on these guys faces. :lol:

_44486887_darlingbrown406pa.jpg

I'd walk a million miles for one of those smiles tbh.

Well to actually get one of those smiles all you'd have to do is get selected in a safe seat then take the train and claim travelling expenses. :lol:

I'd walk a million miles for one of those smiles tbh.

Well to actually get one of those smiles all you'd have to do is get selected in a safe seat then take the train and claim travelling expenses. :lol:

Are you Bridget's Careers Guidance Counsellor by any chance?

KEY MEASURES

Fuck me you wouldn't want to be buying a brand new 4x4 :lol:

Best news of all though IMO.

KEY MEASURES

Shit.

My dads got two :lol:

KEY MEASURES

Shit.

Brand new ones?? I notice it does imply its £950 for the first year tax rate so i presume its a measure to try to put people off buying new ones rather than attacking those who already own them?

KEY MEASURES

Shit.

Brand new ones?? I notice it does imply its £950 for the first year tax rate so i presume its a measure to try to put people off buying new ones rather than attacking those who already own them?

Ah right they are a couple of years old i suppose, one is about 4 years old imported from Japan IIRC :D