Gretna unlikely to make it to weekend

acrossthepond

Gretna unlikely to make it to the weekend

Under-threat Premier League side Gretna's position has 'deteriorated' in the last 24 hours.

The administrator in charge of solving their problems has admitted they are unlikely to be able to field a team against Aberdeen on Saturday.

The club were warned they must raise £30,000 by lunchtime today or they will be closed down and although that has not yet happened David Elliot said the situation was getting worse.

'The position has not improved from yesterday, it has deteriorated and I am not convinced we will be able to put a team out on Saturday,' said Elliot, of administrators Wilson Field.

'That would mean we are breach of league rules and would leave us open to be fined and face other penalties.

'Unfortunately we are running out of time.'

Elliot revealed he had spoken to officials at Aberdeen - Gretna's opponents on Saturday - and Motherwell - currently providing them with a groundshare arrangement - and a number of other clubs but had not yet had chance to speak to the league about a possible postponement.

Discussions with members of Gretna's squad had been positive but Elliot warned that as the club was in breach of contract having not paid them, the players were free to look elsewhere for employment.

'Motherwell have been very helpful and have offered a compromise on the amount the club have to pay them in each home game in an effort to get the club through,' Elliot added.

'My thanks also go out to the other clubs that are to wishing to help and I very much want to play the fixture on Saturday, but I still don't have the funds and the players have still not been paid.

'There is a willingness on the part of all parties to continue but it should be remembered each player is now facing a situation where their contract has been breached. They should be paid and they haven't been.

'The players will need to consider their own positions. There is, until March 27, the opportunity to move to another club if they wished.

'I can't stand in their way - morally, ethically or legally.

'I have had a meeting with the players. They are considering their positions and I was impressed by the loyalty and the way in which they are wanting to keep the football playing.

'But we have a lack of players in certain positions and I believe it may well be necessary to seek permission to postpone the match on Saturday.

'I am not giving up. I will try again tomorrow to get the team sorted out but as of today I do not have a team that we can put out on Saturday.'

If Gretna were able to persuade the league and Aberdeen to agree to a postponement, they could then pin their hopes on a bumper pay-day at home to Celtic the following weekend.

The additional breathing space would also give more time to attract any potential investors.

'If I am to prevail and get through Saturday, our next match will be a week on Sunday against Celtic and that would be a cash bonus for us and would alleviate some of the problems,' added Elliot.

'We have been talking to people who have expressed interest in investing in the club.'

Gretna are facing creditors' demands of over £1million, with the Inland Revenue owed £350,000, which almost resulted in court action at the start of this week.

Former managers Rowan Alexander and Davie Irons also have claims for cash sums, of £800,000 and £100,000, while the club have hire-purchase payments outstanding on cars and also owe money to Motherwell, whose Fir Park home they are sharing this season.

Their problems have been compounded by millionaire backer Brooks Mileson withdrawing his financial support this month after years of bankrolling the club - at a huge cost to himself.

'There is no direct contact between Mr Mileson and myself or anyone else at the club but Mr Mileson's position has not changed from yesterday; he is not putting forward funds for the club to continue,' said Elliot.

'He has put in a very substantial amount of money - I believe it to be around £8million - and the way the club has continued with great success over recent seasons is that each week he has been funding the losses.

'As administrator I am faced with the task of reversing that situation to allow the club to continue.'

The Scottish Premier League were expected to confirm later today whether they would permit the postponement of Saturday's match at Pittodrie.

SPL secretary Iain Blair confirmed he would be seeking talks with Elliot over the situation at Gretna.

Aberdeen later announced they expect Saturday's game against Gretna to be played.

Dons managing director Duncan Fraser said: 'Following intensive discussions throughout the day involving the SPL, the administrator and ourselves, we were told late this afternoon that the governing body expects the match to be played, as scheduled, on Saturday at 3pm.

'From an AFC perspective, this is something we have been working extremely hard at achieving as all along preparations, both on and off the field, have been ongoing as normal in the build-up to a match.

'While these are clearly difficult times for all concerned, the clear priority for everyone connected with the SPL has been to ensure we do all we possibly can to assist in ensuring Gretna fulfils its fixture commitments.'

from http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...233&cc=5901

Sounds pretty dire for them - wish them luck, hope they don't fold.

Pretty sure they've got a couple of our old kids

Deverdics and McMenamin, could be miles and miles off the scent though :puke:

• 2 weeks later...
Eight senior players and the former owner's son have followed ex-captain Chris Innes and six community coaches in being made redundant by Gretna.

Aurélien Collin, Mickael Buscher, Henry Makinwa, David Mathieson, David Bingham, Mark Birch, Erik Paartalu and Michael Tait have been axed.

The latter four players were on loan to other clubs.

Operations director Craig Mileson, son of Brooks Mileson, is also out along with 13 youth players.

It was Mileson's ill-health and withdrawal of financial backing for the relegation-bound Scottish Premier League club that led to its slide into administration two weeks ago.

A formal redundancy letter has also been received by former chief executive Graeme Muir, two weeks after he told the club he was quitting.

The 21-year-old Paartalu said: "We've got half our week's wages today.

"From what I've heard, I don't think we'll get paid any more. It depends on what happens to the club for next season.

"There's about five or six players but about five or six other staff members that are being let go.

"I really feel for the boys who have got families to look after and mortgages to pay. It's really disappointing.

"The transfer window for free agents closes on 31 March in Scotland and 27 March for clubs in England, so it's a bit of a rush now for everyone to try to find a club and get sorted for next season.

"We're all trying to get dispensation from Fifa."

But world football's governing body has told the Scottish FA that any Gretna player who wants to sign for another club must make an application through that club's national association.

Defender Collin could now join Championship outfit Barnsley.

But redundancy raises a question mark about forward Bingham's loan at Cowdenbeath, while defender Paartalu is at Stirling Albion and Birch and Tait at Newcastle Blue Star.

Innes, who had helped Gretna rise from Division Three to Scotland's top flight after leaving Dundee United, has been linked with First Division Morton.

"I've had three and a bit fantastic years at Gretna, but now I'll have to look for pastures new," said the 31-year-old defender.

Gretna had on Tuesday agreed to release midfielder Fabian Yantorno, who had been their best player this season until he suffered injury in January, because they could no longer afford his medical treatment.

Community coaches Kevin Somerville, Darren Edmondson, Paul Menlove, Ross Murray, David Bradbury and Kenni Dinnell were axed on Wednesday morning.

Innes had earlier accused the administrator of doing a U-turn after last week saying that contracts would be honoured until the end of the season.

Administrator David Elliott, of Wilson Field, had made promising noises about Gretna's hopes of survival before Sunday's fixture against Celtic after money was received from the SPL.

But he will have hoped for a larger crowd than the 3,500 who turned up at Livingston's Almondvale Stadium, which hosted the game because of drainage problems at Fir Park.

And his latest statement has placed new doubt on Gretna's ability to survive until the end of the season.

"Discussions are continuing with the SPL to facilitate the completion of fixtures to the end of the season," it said.

However, the league said there was nothing to suggest that Saturday's visit to St Mirren Park would not go ahead.

Fallen as quickly as they rose tbh....

Did the floor just get taken from under their feet or something? It's not that long since they were in a cup final and Europe - where's all the money gone?

Did the floor just get taken from under their feet or something? It's not that long since they were in a cup final and Europe - where's all the money gone?

Brooks Mileson got ill and withdrew his financial support (all of the money the club ever had), and therefore they are skint.

Brooks Mileson got ill and withdrew his financial support (all of the money the club ever had), and therefore they are skint.

And the money they've earned from their success to date? Or has the club been seriously mis-managed?

• 2 months later...

They have been relegated a further two divisions this afternoon by the Scottish FA due to their administration status.

They have been relegated a further two divisions this afternoon by the Scottish FA due to their administration status.

Back to playing the likes of Dumbarton then.... :nufc:

It gets Stranraer out of our league and I'm happy with that!

this is what happens when you are dependent on 1 man and his bank balance

"The Durham-based businessman once had a personal wealth estimated at over £75 million, according to a profile in The Sun. Now heavily in debt, Milesons personal bank account is reported to be overdrawn by almost half a million pounds. Mileson made his fortune in various branches of the insurance, construction and property businesses."

To be charitable I'd guess a lot of his "wealth" came through hands on whealing and dealing - once he got sick it all went down the tubes very quickly - Sir John Hall is another case in mind

Gretna 'no longer in existence'

Administrators at Gretna FC have said they feel the Raydale Park side has ceased to exist as a football club.

The only interested party in taking over the team has withdrawn its offer.

David Elliot from administrators Wilson Field said he expected the Scottish Football League to expel the side within a "matter of days".

He has concluded that the club could not continue as a business and would be unable to guarantee it could complete league fixtures next year.

Gretna went into administration in March this year with debts of about £4m after backer Brooks Mileson withdrew his support.

Last week the SFL relegated the club to Division Three.

Mr Elliot said he would now look to market the Raydale Park ground "outside football".

"I had one offer on the table which I decided at that late stage I would pursue," he explained.

"The prospective purchaser had produced a business plan based on First Division football and so he has formally withdrawn his offer.

"Effectively we are still technically in the Third Division but I can't complete fixtures next season."

He said he had informed the SFL of that situation and expected them to expel the club soon.

Financial mess

"The problem with this club is it started off in 1946 with a group of ex-servicemen coming back from World War Two setting up a village football team," said Mr Elliot.

"Then a few years ago Mr Mileson took over and injected a lot of money into the club and it enjoyed a lot of success on the football pitch.

"But if you take away the benefactor - the person supplying the money - then financially you have a real mess."

A number of clubs have already expressed an interest in taking their place in Division Three.

Spartans, Annan Athletic, Preston Athletic and Cove Rangers are all preparing applications for their spot.

Guest alex

They're hardly a club with a legion of fans and they've been a professional side about 5 minutes. I can remember when they used to play in the Northern League and struggled. Sad though as they've been going a long time.

Have to feel for their fans as has been said.

I've been following them with a passing interest for a couple of years since they absolutely annihilated everyone in their division a couple of years ago, I think they had 3 of the top 4 scorers in the division.

Sad stuff. :nah:

• 5 months later...