Keegan: Viduka can be our Torres

Jimbo

Kevin Keegan says that Mark Viduka can provide his Newcastle United team with the spark they have lacked in recent weeks. Fitness issues have restricted the Australia striker to one substitute appearance since Keegan’s return to St James’ Park in January, but he is expected to be involved in the Barclays Premier League match away to Birmingham City on Monday.

“If he’d been fit and available, Mark is the kind of player you want on your teamsheet every week,” Keegan said. “You always want your best players available, but forwards who can score you goals and win you matches and who have experience, you need them especially. If we can have a fit Mark Viduka for the last nine games, that’ll be a huge bonus for us.”

Keegan dismissed reports that Viduka’s fitness had prompted a dispute between the pair. “I get on really well with Mark and I’ve never had a bust-up with any player at this club, and that’s the truth.

“He’s got this fantastic ability to score goals in tight situations and to score goals at important times. That’s what wins you football matches. You saw Fernando Torres the other night score a goal [for Liverpool] when a lot of players would have taken another touch, and Mark comes into that category, too. He doesn’t need a lot of space, he can do the unexpected.”

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's this kind of thing KK comes out with that really worries me.

Well he's not going to the press and say he thinks he's a lazy, worthless piece of shit is he? He's always been good at motivating the troops man.

Well he's not going to the press and say he thinks he's a lazy, worthless piece of shit is he? He's always been good at motivating the troops man.

Yeah but this is just delusional.

To be honest I think we could do with Viduka in the side right now. Yes he's fat and lazy, but with Owen out of form, Viduka is the type of player who can create something out of nothing.

What has he exactly said that's delusional though?

To be honest I think we could do with Viduka in the side right now. Yes he's fat and lazy, but with Owen out of form, Viduka is the type of player who can create something out of nothing.

Exactly. I'd play Martins ahead of him but would not lose any sleep in case Viduka starts. In those few cases he actually turned up, he put in mostly decent performances imho. His link up play, his ability to keep possession high up the pitch and his threat in front of goal would actually really be a big bonus in contrast to the brainless things other players do.

Viduka patently can't be anything like Torres 99% of the time.

If he's saying that in that one moment he can do the unexpected that's fair enough I guess. I don't want to be too hard on KK.

Motivating players only makes sense if the player themselves can believe it.

Worth a go I guess.

Exactly. I'd play Martins ahead of him but would not lose any sleep in case Viduka starts. In those few cases he actually turned up, he put in mostly decent performances imho. His link up play, his ability to keep possession high up the pitch and his threat in front of goal would actually really be a big bonus in contrast to the brainless things other players do.

Just say Martins man, we know you wanted to. :puke:

:D

For a change I was actually at first thinking of Smith. But I was tempted to write Smith/Martins though...

For a change I was actually at first thinking of Smith. But I was tempted to write Smith/Martins though...

Smith can be our Betega [KevinKeegan/]

Edited by Park Life

Just say Martins man, we know you wanted to. :D

:puke:

I wouldn't mind him to be our Bettega though...

Just say Martins man, we know you wanted to. :D

:puke:

I wouldn't mind him to be our Bettega though...

To be honest this statement is more down to Viduka wanting to play than KK wanting to pick him.

For all the talk of him being injured, Viduka made himself available for the Australian national team this week for next week's game against China, contrary to what Newcastle has been saying about his fitness.

What a nonsense load of replies! :puke:

Smith or Viduka? Jesus Christ. It's quite encouraging imo, might signal that he wants to drop the golden boy. Viduka's not great but he pisses on Alan Smith.

And this seaosn must be his lowest scoring tally in his career thus far. He's scored lots of goals wherever he has gone, and his goals to start ratio this season isn't bad.

Casts doubt on the rumours of a falling-out between Viduka and KK. I'd have him back in the side any day, lazy and questionable "fitness" but when he can be arsed he's looked dangerous.

Does it?

I'd say if anything it adds fule to the fire considering the other bit of information.

Casts doubt on the rumours of a falling-out between Viduka and KK. I'd have him back in the side any day, lazy and questionable "fitness" but when he can be arsed he's looked dangerous.

Does it?

I'd say if anything it adds fule to the fire considering the other bit of information.

You shouldn't listen to Craig Moore when he is drunk... :puke:

If he's saying that in that one moment he can do the unexpected that's fair enough I guess. I don't want to be too hard on KK.

Worth a go I guess.

If he's saying that? :puke:

Worth a go I guess.

But he isn't really saying that. He's saying that on the whole they have similar assets which is patent bollocks. I've watered it down cause I like him - as you would do for you mate when he starts rambling in the pub.

Edited by Park Life

Worth a go I guess.

But he isn't really saying that. He's saying that on the whole they have similar assets which is patent bollocks. I've watered it down cause I like him - as you would do for you mate when he starts rambling in the pub.

I must have missed the part where he said Viduka had Torres' pace combined with his movement then and a desire and hunger that he has. On the whole indeed.