Two-game ultimatum for Kev

Jimbo

Beleaguered boss Kevin Keegan has effectively been given a two-match ultimatum to salvage Newcastle's season, according to reports.

The Daily Mail claims that, with Keegan having failed to inspire a single victory since his much-heralded return to St James' Park in January, owner Mike Ashley is ready to press 'the panic button'.

Ahead of Monday's vital fixture with fellow strugglers Birmingham, the Magpies are on the verge of falling into the relegation zone.

Ashley has become so concerned by their plight that he is said to be 'prepared to make his second change of manager' should the situation not improve rapidly.

'If Keegan fails to secure precious points in Newcastle's next two games - away to Birmingham, followed by Fulham at home the following Saturday - sources believe Ashley will press the panic button,' claims the Mail.

'The slide has forced Ashley to consider asking Keegan to step aside already and take a position in the St James' Park boardroom, allowing a new manager to come in for a salvage operation.

'Dennis Wise, recently appointed executive director (football), would be the obvious choice to take over after his success at Leeds and with Millwall, whom he guided to the FA Cup final and into Europe.

'Terry Venables is an alternative short-term option.'

Fuck off, just fuck off :puke:

Its also that Wise wasnt really the person behind the "success" at leeds, but Poyet.

Bollock imho and Id certainly hope so.

Daily Mail

Keegan told to start winning, or it's a role upstairs

EXCLUSIVE by MATT LAWTON - Last updated at 22:55pm on 13th March 2008

Newcastle are becoming increasingly jittery about their Barclays Premier League future and are demanding that Kevin Keegan improves results in the next two games.

Sportsmail understands that billionaire owner Mike Ashley is concerned about Keegan's apparent inability to guide his side clear of relegation danger and is prepared to make his second change of manager.

Newcastle have taken just two points from the eight League matches they have played since Keegan's return and have fallen dramatically down the table.

They could be in the bottom four before they even play at Birmingham City on Monday, with only their opponents, Fulham and Derby below them.

The slide has forced Ashley to consider asking Keegan to step aside already and take a position in the St James' Park boardroom, allowing a new manager to come in for a salvage operation.

Dennis Wise, recently appointed executive director (football), would be the obvious choice to take over after his success at Leeds and with Millwall, whom he guided to the FA Cup Final and into Europe.

Terry Venables is an alternative short-term option, but on Thursday night Newcastle chairman Chris Mort denied that such a move for Venables is on the cards and he backed Keegan — following a vote of confidence after Newcastle's last home defeat.

Mort said: 'Kevin has come to a club that didn't change its manager in the middle of the season because things were going well. Kevin came in knowing it was going to be difficult to turn it round.'

However, for months the St James' Park hierarchy denied any intention of removing previous manager Sam Allardyce and, if Keegan fails to secure precious points in Newcastle's next two games — away to Birmingham, followed by Fulham at home the following Saturday — sources believe Ashley will press the panic button.

A defeat in the Midlands could leave Newcastle in the drop zone and make their game against Keegan's former club Fulham vitally important. If Newcastle return from St Andrew's without a point, Ashley may conclude that it is too big a risk to leave Keegan in charge of a must-win game.

After investing more than £250million in the club, Ashley will be determined to protect his investment.

Keegan remains upbeat and on Thursday night insisted his players have a 'nine-game season' to secure their status. Although he would not welcome a new role, his £3m-a-year salary is a considerable compensation and it has enabled him to resolve issues in his business life.

Keegan has denied rumours of a bust-up with Aussie striker Mark Viduka, who has played only once under the ex-England boss.

So the only direct quotes are those from Mort backing Keegan.

Seriously, people need to stop buying tabloids and put the twats out of business.

Ashley and Mort have underwhelmed spectacularly this season and the Allardyce/Keegan transition was pretty amateurish imho but at least they don't give the press the Shepherd-esque soundbites they so clearly crave.

So the only direct quotes are those from Mort backing Keegan.

Seriously, people need to stop buying tabloids and put the twats out of business.

Ashley and Mort have underwhelmed spectacularly this season and the Allardyce/Keegan transition was pretty amateurish imho but at least they don't give the press the Shepherd-esque soundbites they so clearly crave.

Not fit for fish and chips tbh

He hasn't invested £250m in the club. He bought the club.

He's invested £8m net on the pitch, the only place it matters.

Oh please just be quiet and go watch lost or better still clueless!

If you want to show me other fig go ahead. :puke:

He's invested his money in HIS asset the club. He hasn't significantly invested in the first team (not even paying the debt counts).

My point being the papers like to dress it up in a kind of language that makes our situation look more comical/dire. ie "He's invested £250m"..etc. He hasn't he has bought an asset the team hasn't directly benefitted.

However I think there is enough ambition in MA and hopefully we'll see it in the summer. :D

He's invested his money in HIS asset the club. He hasn't significantly invested in the first team (not even paying the debt counts).

My point being the papers like to dress it up in a kind of language that makes our situation look more comical/dire. ie "He's invested £250m"..etc. He hasn't he has bought an asset the team hasn't directly benefitted.

However I think there is enough ambition in MA and hopefully we'll see it in the summer. :D

The £250M he's put in out of his pocket will be taken into account when you work out any profit he makes from the club.

After 96/97 the previous lot never used any of their own cash in speculating, they moved the club into debt to accumulate further personal wealth in the form of dividends without any risk to their personal fortune.

I'm far happier to hear the press say how he's put £250M into the club than I was to hear the shite about Shepherd backing his manager.

Edited by Happy Face

our clubs not worth 250 million , so he has invested more than 8 .and unless he sticks another 100 mill on the loan and then flogs it he wont see the cash back for the debt he payed off

I'm far happier to hear the press say how he's put £250M into the club than I was to hear the shite about Shepherd backing his manager.

And then taking a huge dividend to boot.

Let's not get started about storage space leasing arrangements.

:puke:

:puke:

See I just don't see the humour in it.

The reason the media loves to run the blade through Newcastle is also down the very same portly chap and his ability to turn the club into an easy target.

After 96/97 the previous lot never used any of their own cash in speculating, they moved the club into debt to accumulate further personal wealth in the form of dividends without any risk to their personal fortune.

Not only did they not put their own money in but given the fact that Ashley came in and paid the whole loan off indicates that Shepherd must have negotiated a ridiculously bad deal on our debt.

The £250M he's put in out of his pocket will be taken into account when you work out any profit he makes from the club.

you clearly have absolutely no idea what it means not to back your manager.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had today.

you clearly have absolutely no idea what it means not to back your manager.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had today.

Calm down Leazes, I agree Shepherd > Mckeag/Seymour.