hard Disk Drive Full

LeazesMag

but it probably isn't.

My neighbour has a 20gb hard disk and only about 80mb free space. He doesn't appear to have anywhere near 20gb of his space used.

Could he have virus ? He hasn;t been running a virus checker [groan]........

any suggestions please ?

cheers Jimbo I'll download and keep it for myself, I can't run it on his PC because he uses windows 98 [he's a pensioner].

there's no way he is usijg up 19gb of hard disk, no way. I'm going across later today or tomorrow. Prob really is that he does his best and thats commendable but isn't really sure what he's doing and it isn't easy looking at someone else's PC either because they have utilities on it that you don't know what they are for [and neither does he in some cases] :puke:

cheers Jimbo I'll download and keep it for myself, I can't run it on his PC because he uses windows 98 [he's a pensioner].

there's no way he is usijg up 19gb of hard disk, no way. I'm going across later today or tomorrow. Prob really is that he does his best and thats commendable but isn't really sure what he's doing and it isn't easy looking at someone else's PC either because they have utilities on it that you don't know what they are for [and neither does he in some cases] :puke:

try and right click on the drive icon and run disk clean up.

a 20gb disc could eaasily fill up with restore points, memory dumps after crashes, etc etc

try and right click on the drive icon and run disk clean up.

a 20gb disc could eaasily fill up with restore points, memory dumps after crashes, etc etc

aye, I've asked him if he's used backup utilities etc and he's not sure but its possible, he attempted to get rid of some thing last week but he's just not sure what he's doing.

I'm going to go over and install AVG on his PC for him, and I've found a utility that analyses the hard disk - don't know what sort of job it will do - but I'll run clean up as well.

http://www.primasoft.com/32org/32disk.htm

Cheers mate.

but it probably isn't.

My neighbour has a 20gb hard disk and only about 80mb free space. He doesn't appear to have anywhere near 20gb of his space used.

any suggestions please ?

Have a good clearup of programs but make sure they're removed properly and not just by deleting the files in Explorer. Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel or find the uninstall file and use that. If hes never cleared his cache and temporary internet files then that could take up a fair bit space as well.

Oh and then rull a full defragment of the HD.

but it probably isn't.

any suggestions please ?

Have a good clearup of programs but make sure they're removed properly and not just by deleting the files in Explorer. Add/Remove programs from the Control Panel or find the uninstall file and use that. If hes never cleared his cache and temporary internet files then that could take up a fair bit space as well.

Oh and then rull a full defragment of the HD.

it's all doing my head in to be honest PP, he DID have avast before, but its disappeared. He's not PC illiterate or anything, I think his son puts things onto it then he doesn't understand what they are, then I go around and as its not my PC I don't know what they are for either.

I've showed him in the past how to defrag and uninstall things, but it seems like I'm going to have to start from scratch here.

I've not formatted a disk and re-installed windows before, but it may come to that in the end, I hope not.

Oh, I forgot, when you right click on his c drive and look at properties, it says he is using something like about 600 odd GIGS

:puke:

Well, I have that utility, but I went around earlier and ran defrag, disk cleanup etc. The disk cleanup detected a folder called windows/98 as well as windows.....and said there was a duplication/clash of files, so I told it to delete the duplicate files in the folder windows/98

I saw this folder yesterday, and wondered what it was, John didn't know what it was.

After I did that, it showed his c drive as having 1.9 gb used and 18gb free space.

So, smashing, he's dead pleased, so am I.

Only problem now is his long standing modem problem, he's a retired electrician and messes around with his cabling, circuit breakers, fuck knows what else.

As the modem wouldn't connect, I've told him to check everything and we'll attack this problem in a day or two while we think about it again.

Many thanks to everybody, and I'll keep that utility myself and run it out of curiosity too.

Screen savers, deleted but not Finally deleted email messages, .bak files, some cookies......................

Also make sure that you empty the recycling bin..............

all helps

i have several - you can't live on one so Benifit Fraud is the Way Forward

hell, if they catch me all i get is a few years in totally provided Govt accomodation

hell, if they catch me all i get is a few years in totally provided Govt accomodation

next door to all those muggers and rapists out on parole :razz:

next door to all those muggers and rapists out on parole :razz:

Have you thought of playing some practical jokes on this old codger? :icon_lol:

it's a choice - I can live in Darras Hall with boring footballers, golfers and the like or stay close to me roots amongst the poor & violent

Booze & drugs are cheaper in the latter location sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo