Martins has no problems with Keegan

Besty

Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins claims he has no problem with Kevin Keegan despite his angry reaction to being substituted against Birmingham City.

The Nigeria striker was visibly unhappy with Keegan's decision to replace him toward the end of Monday night's 1-1 draw at St Andrew's with the Magpies on the front foot and looking for a winner.

Martins was spoken to by Keegan as he attempted to storm past the coach, but the former Inter Milan frontman claims there is no issue between the pair.

"There are no problems. We have quality players and if we continue that sort of play, we will do even better," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"All I am trying to do is help get this club away from the relegation zone. The fans or the club don't need that so that is all I am concerned about."

Meanwhile, Martins claims he is happy with the attacking philosophy Keegan has adopted on his return to St James' Park.

"The coach plays an attacking game and that suits my game a lot," he added. "I am satisfied with that and by the way we played going forward as a team."

Although at the time I wasn't pleased to see Martins come off, I thought the whole thing with him being visibly unhappy to come and Keegan grabbing him making sure he got a word of sympathy in with him was very healthy.

Guest Patrokles
I'd play him in front of ANY of our strikers to be honest. He may have the occasional first touch of a rapist, but he's deadly in the box.

No, he isn't. :( Compared to Owen and Viduka in the box, especially.

I'd play him in front of ANY of our strikers to be honest. He may have the occasional first touch of a rapist, but he's deadly in the box.

I'd actually almost rather play him in central midfield than purposely leave out Owen or Viduka if they are fit. Although I think there's a good case for playing the 3 of them, certainly against weaker teams.

Owen will get the plaudits for scoring the equaliser and he should to an extent as he made it his over 3 brum defenders. However, Martins made the goal really, outjumping 6ft plus defenders to knock it down in the first place before the snapshot, which none of our other strikers posess. Taylor produced a good save from a similar shot and I think the team & formation should stick for Satruday, though maybe swap Zog for Geremi or Barton. You can see teams have to defend that little deeper against us with Martins on the pitch as they have to respect his pace, while most teams have realised Owen isn't as fast as he once was.

I agree with being over-run for the most part as I think that'd be the case against most teams. But factoring in that we're at home against Fulham I feel we have to take the game to them. I wouldn't be too unhappy if it was the same starting eleven though.

I agree with being over-run for the most part as I think that'd be the case against most teams. But factoring in that we're at home against Fulham I feel we have to take the game to them. I wouldn't be too unhappy if it was the same starting eleven though.

I remember the last time we took the game to Fulham at St James' Park, under Souness. God, that was a weird game.

Was that the 4-1 game? Yet despite them scoring four, Crossley got man of the match?

Aye. They had a canny bit better midfield back then though, which is a big part of the reason they are where they are.

Was that the 4-1 game? Yet despite them scoring four, Crossley got man of the match?

We absolutely battered them but kept getting hit on the break. Plus by the end, Souness had about four forwards on the pitch with one defender which helped them add a couple of bonus goals.

Oh yea :(

Was thinking of Owen's first game for us. That 1-4 was indeed rather surreal.

My lasting memory of that game (a dour 1-1 draw) was the sorry sight of Amdy Faye playing as our attacking midfielder, and there were several moments of him running/strolling up the pitch towards the Fulham goal with the ball at his feet - it was so painfully obvious he had no clue what to do.