Good Friday football

LeazesMag

I was thinking about this. I seem to remember it being on the Good Friday and the Easter Monday but not the Saturday. Not sure like. I don't know if Easter being dead early makes a difference either.

I was thinking about this. I seem to remember it being on the Good Friday and the Easter Monday but not the Saturday. Not sure like. I don't know if Easter being dead early makes a difference either.

just thinking about it because daughter has gone ski-ing to Austria this morning, wifey is away to see her dad this afternoon for a week, and i'm on my own

Shame eh :razz:

I thought it might be because of the international fixtures on Wednesday. Isn't there some kind of protection period of a couple of days where no league games are allowed to be played?

Sod's law. I suppose you've got the match tomorrow though.

aye, generally though was thinking about the fact that this used to happen but its a long time ago

Thing is also, its one of those times when they could maximise crowds so you would think they would still go for it

aye, generally though was thinking about the fact that this used to happen but its a long time ago

Thing is also, its one of those times when they could maximise crowds so you would think they would still go for it

More arsed about tv viewers than people who actually go though, aren't they?

But we've all got soopa-doopa Grand slam Sunday to look forward too. Apparently.

Another nail in the traditions of English football ? The Easter programme was always seen as a real test for the teams and could make or break seasons. I loved it.

Playing a fuckin' friendly international at this stage of the season is a disgrace iyam.

Rant over. For now ! :razz:

I just had a look at it. They played matches on Good Friday and Easter Monday last year. I am pretty sure this year is just because of the upcoming international matches next week. Though with the cramped international schedule it could happen very often in the future again.

More arsed about tv viewers than people who actually go though, aren't they?

But we've all got soopa-doopa Grand slam Sunday to look forward too. Apparently.

Good Friday 1965 we beat Bolton [Mighty Wyn and Francis Lee] to clinch promotion

Next day we drew away to palace

Easter Monday we drew away to Bolton to clinch the 2nd division title.

This is on my mind because I'm going to meet Wyn Davies next week.......

This sort of programme continued through the 1970's . In 1972 we played games on April 1st, 3rd, 5th and 8th

In 1977 we played on April 2nd, 8th and 9th

In 1979 we played on April 10th, 14th, 16th and 18th

Don't know if these were re-arranged games or corresponding to Easter