dramatic career change

paddy

well i'm 32 and have decided that i'm going to have a major career change, from sales to Paramedic :razz: its a career i have always wanted but from school I went into work and never looked back.

so once the wife is finished at uni it will be my turn!! :icon_lol:

bye

i got stuck in my ways and thought its too late as i'm 32 but if I can spend the rest of my working life in a role I want then i'll be a happy chappy

i got stuck in my ways and thought its too late as i'm 32 but if I can spend the rest of my working life in a role I want then i'll be a happy chappy

I think both of the people I rode with came to it late, one of them at 40 years old at least, and they didn't seem to have a problem picking it up.

It's never too late.

A bold decision, and one which shows you've already got the nuts for that sort of job in the first place. Hope it all works out for you. I'm in awe of paramedics. Think they're amazing. :(

Not so much lavender as positively Pot Pouris :icon_lol::razz:

all the luck in the world to you mate,

Do it, and then let me know all about it. It's something I've been toying with for the last few years because I haaaaaaaate my job with a passion. The only reason I haven't made the change is that a paramedic is still in health care and I don't know if that's where I want to stay. So I wish you good luck.

Go for it Paddy. My sister started training for the ambulance service as a cadet of 17. They put her throught her driving test and her Ambulance technician courses then her Paramedics course. I remember they actually visited us as a family to see if she had the support she would need at home for some of the traumatic sights she would see. A distinct memory I have is her coming home from her shift one day and telling me about picking up a motorbike helmet at an accident scene with the head in it, she never flickered about that but was distraught when she had to pick up a child who had chopped his fingers off in a door. She went on to become station officer but hurt her back and is now a boss in the control room but she misses being out on the road every day. A very worthwhile profession if you can put up with all the shit that goes with it from some of the arsehole druggies/alcoholics/charvs you go out to tend to .

Don't think I could be a Paramedic, must take some stomach.

Whats the training for it, out of interest? Or can any doctor do it?

Paramedics aren't doctors. According to NHS careers, it's 12 weeks training to be an ambulance technician, then a further 12 weeks to become a paramedic.

Ah, the helmet down the road with a head in, the whole police force must have been at that RTA as well as I've heard that story from at least 3 coppers.

Edited by Sima

Paramedics aren't doctors. According to NHS careers, it's 12 weeks training to be an ambulance technician, then a further 12 weeks to become a paramedic.

What's the matter Luke, getting a little shitty that you're being compared to a paramedic?

Edited by Steve

Best of luck with it mate, I did a shift with some paramedics a month ago, they do a fantastic job and seem to really enjoy it, and they know their stuff too.

In fairness, they are bound to comparatively. :razz:

What's the matter Luke, getting a little shitty that you're being compared to a paramedic?

Well if I were him I'd be worried about it as well. :razz:

Wasn't being shitty at all, just answering his question. Although some doctors (particularly those from A & E) do pre-hospital care work, the vast majority of ambulances and their ilk are manned by paramedics and technicans.

Had enough of radiology then?

Wasn't being shitty at all, just answering his question. Although some doctors (particularly those from A & E) do pre-hospital care work, the vast majority of ambulances and their ilk are manned by paramedics and technicans.

Had enough of radiology then?

Lets hope you can "answer" medical questions a little better than that, eh? :razz:

You also need to re-take your paramedics exam...I think it may be every year ...as the drug dosages / procedures etc change .It's usually a redidential course somehwere up at Morpeth if your living in the area !!

Good luck, looks like an interesting job. The only complaints Ive heard from them are that theres not much scope for promotion. Its technician, paramedic, station master and thats it. I like the look of the rapid repsonse cars though!

That's the main thing, however, with this sort of thing I imagine you won't really know whether you enjoy it until you're actually doing it. Best of luck though, hope it works out for you.