Owen's new position

Dr Gloom

seems he's playing a deeper role in the new 4-3-3 formation. is that his future now that he's lost his pace? he looked half decent picking the ball up in midfield and running in behind the front two of martins and the fat aussie. he certainly hasn't got the pace to get in behind the way he used to.

He did well but i'm not sure how he'd get on against a good holding player, or a good team infact.

Just what I was going to say.

He did well, and it was good thinking from KK to use him that way, but against a better team he may well get snuffed out.

I think all this "lost his pace" is getting a bit overused. Sure, he is not the '98 version of Owen where he sprints the whole size of the pitch with the ball to his feet. But he hasn't been this kind of player for a couple of years already, even before his latest injury setbacks. On better fitness he still looks quicker than a lot of his colleagues to me, especially on short distances. So I think he still very much has it to get behind of back lines. Hopefully with a more creative midfielder behind him he is used in a much better way than now.

Exactly. Its not so much lost his pace, but lost someone who will play a ball for him to run on to, cutting the back line apart so to speak. While here, he has been feeding off scraps and long balls.

I think all this "lost his pace" is getting a bit overused. Sure, he is not the '98 version of Owen where he sprints the whole size of the pitch with the ball to his feet. But he hasn't been this kind of player for a couple of years already, even before his latest injury setbacks. On better fitness he still looks quicker than a lot of his colleagues to me, especially on short distances. So I think he still very much has it to get behind of back lines. Hopefully with a more creative midfielder behind him he is used in a much better way than now.

Yup, barring the odd "wonder goal" it's his footballing brain and then finishing that's been behind his success not his pace (although that has clearly helped).

I wouldn't have said he's lost that much pace between signing for Newcastle and now, or at least he probably lost a lot more between 18 and then.

Yup, barring the odd "wonder goal" it's his footballing brain and then finishing that's been behind his success not his pace (although that has clearly helped).

I wouldn't have said he's lost that much pace between signing for Newcastle and now, or at least he probably lost a lot more between 18 and then.

Defenders are probably quicker now than they were back then too.

Agree. I think his recurring hamstring troubles during his time at Liverpool took a much great toll.

As someone said its about having a footballer's brain combined with a killer instinct - the classic being Mick Quinn's "I'm faster than anyone over 2 yards" - see the goal on Monday as a perfect example.

Owen looks good deeper just because we've become so used to having no footballers in the team in recent years - see also how Viduka's half-arsed football intelligence has made a difference after a couple of years of Shola/Sibierski/Martins.

He wouldn`t do against a well organised side in that role. He`s got a year left in him at best.

People have been saying that about him since he was 20. :razz:

He wouldn`t do against a well organised side in that role. He`s got a year left in him at best.

People have been saying that about him since he was 20. :razz:

And he hasn`t.................now he`s older, it still isn`t his role imo.

I don't how you can say that Torres. It's not like (unless he has another bad injury) he's going to lose any of what he already has over the next 3 years or so, given he's still pretty young and his pace has gone anyway. He's also scoring a few in a poor side (and missing a few which shows he's still getting into good positions). Fair enough, we all know he's not the player he was but if he can adapt into a more withdrawn role he may give his career a new lease of life, especially as he's done well there of late even though it's an unfamiliar role for him. He might struggle against the top sides but so do the rest of our players, that's why we're where we are this season.

I don't how you can say that Torres. It's not like (unless he has another bad injury) he's going to lose any of what he already has over the next 3 years or so, given he's still pretty young and his pace has gone anyway. He's also scoring a few in a poor side (and missing a few which shows he's still getting into good positions). Fair enough, we all know he's not the player he was but if he can adapt into a more withdrawn role he may give his career a new lease of life, especially as he's done well there of late even though it's an unfamiliar role for him. He might struggle against the top sides but so do the rest of our players, that's why we're where we are this season.

He will still score a few up front no doubt................but I really question playing him in the "hole". I don`t think that`ll work. His pace has always been a huge factor and I`ve watched him for years. Good luck with him.

He's probably only playing in the hole because we don't have anyone better to play there. If Keegan can improve the squad this summer and get some creativity in midfield he'll probably go back to his usual role.

He will still score a few up front no doubt................but I really question playing him in the "hole". I don`t think that`ll work. His pace has always been a huge factor and I`ve watched him for years. Good luck with him.

I still don't think he's lost that much pace since we've had him compared to what he lost in his time at Liverpool & Madrid, and Owen's game has never been solely about pace. Barring the odd wonder goal the vast majority of his game has been about his positioning, instincts and finishing. Yes pace helps with all that, but it isn't an absolute requirement, as his current scoring ratio seems to suggest, especially in what must be one of the most uncreative sides in the Premiership.

Drop him into a decent creative side (which hopefully Keegan and Ashley's cash will takes some steps toward in the summer) and he'll still score a lot.

it's been great seeing him take responsibility, as captain.

Recognising the need for someone there because its laregely been shite.

Fair enough. I think he's played well because its been unexpected to see him dropping deep.

Looking at his missed chances lately, there should be a game coming up soon where we don't deserve to win and he pops up with one chance and puts it away, to redress the balance.

I would say we need 4, maybe 5 points for safety, this goal may be in one of the next 2 away games yet.

Fair enough. I think he's played well because its been unexpected to see him dropping deep.

Looking at his missed chances lately, there should be a game coming up soon where we don't deserve to win and he pops up with one chance and puts it away, to redress the balance.

I would say we need 4, maybe 5 points for safety, this goal may be in one of the next 2 away games yet.

He has indeed taken alot of responsibility recently, if you take the 2nd half against Brum and 90 mins against Fulham. He more or less dictated our game on sat as he was involved in everything we did well, taking up good positions, knocking the ball around, spreading it wide and picking out teamates all the time. I always said it was bollocks the people who claim he does nothing at all but get on the end of chances put on a plate for him, he's an intelligent footballer who rarely ever wastes a ball or gives it away.

Obviously i wouldn't keep him in this role as i want him in the box scoring hopefully and against the better teams it might not work quite as well (though he hasn;t had a chance to show that yet), but until Keegan has the opporrtunity to get some genuine creative players in there i'm happy for Owen to come back and do the job as he's improved our play since he dropped back there. Just as Viduka (whether you're a fan of his or not) has helped our play improve a bit as well.

And i think he'll chip in with another crucial goal or 2 yet for us.

He has indeed taken alot of responsibility recently, if you take the 2nd half against Brum and 90 mins against Fulham. He more or less dictated our game on sat as he was involved in everything we did well, taking up good positions, knocking the ball around, spreading it wide and picking out teamates all the time. I always said it was bollocks the people who claim he does nothing at all but get on the end of chances put on a plate for him, he's an intelligent footballer who rarely ever wastes a ball or gives it away.

Obviously i wouldn't keep him in this role as i want him in the box scoring hopefully and against the better teams it might not work quite as well (though he hasn;t had a chance to show that yet), but until Keegan has the opporrtunity to get some genuine creative players in there i'm happy for Owen to come back and do the job as he's improved our play since he dropped back there. Just as Viduka (whether you're a fan of his or not) has helped our play improve a bit as well.

yesterdays first goal was quality. Owen's run [which was pointed out on sky] taking the defender away [Hughes ?] giving Viduka the space to "pass" the ball into the corner. Superb goal. I sit right in line with that shot and you saw it going in as soon as it left his foot.

I think Beye was MOM yesterday, although Owen ran him close.

Also thought Harper did well with the shots he saved, he held them all including some awkward ones, when they could have bounced off him.

Edited by LeazesMag

yesterdays first goal was quality. Owen's run [which was pointed out on sky] taking the defender away [Hughes ?] giving Viduka the space to "pass" the ball into the corner. Superb goal. I sit right in line with that shot and you saw it going in as soon as it left his foot.

I think Beye was MOM yesterday, although Owen ran him close.

Also thought Harper did well with the shots he saved, he held them all including some awkward ones, when they could have bounced off him.

Agree about Harper, people would say he had nothing to do, but in those conditions the 2 or 3 low, dipping shots fired at him were well held and could easilly have been spilled. Even before his injury i thought Given needed a break and i think Harper's been solid since getting into the team to be fair to him.