Mascherano

wykikitoon

Sending off?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Simple

IMO Yes. Taylor says there should be a 'no go zone' around refs no. A Little harsh but the players and coaching staff need to start respecting the officials and stop actuing like twats.

The refs decision is final take it and accept it you set of overpaid spoilt shits.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've voted 'yes' looking at it objectively. To approach the referee and question his decision is fundamentally wrong IMO unless you are the captain and even then it should be done with respect to the official.

That said, I think this incident was tame when compared to those that have gone before (Keane chasing D'Urso around the same pitch comes to mind). He was an idiot for running across the other side of the pitch to remonstrate (however polite it may have been), that should be Gerrard's job but then Bennett didn't even look at him, he just pulled a card out.

I think he's in more hot water for what happened after the card was produced than the incident itself though. I did wonder if the FA will commend the Liverpool bench for calming him down and dealing with him on the side of the pitch though? They're very keen to charge clubs with "failing to control their players" when the opposite happens....

Bottom line is we need consistency and what happened on Sunday has served to determine that if we are going to be consistent, then zero-tolerance is how it's going to be. The first incident when a referee allows back chat (and it WILL happen) is going to get hammered.

I think they need to rigorously sort out the rules and then stick to them, something more like the Rugby set up (I do think there probably should be a sinbin too, as it allows some leeway to stamp authority/punish minor infractions without completely changing the game).

However equally I do think there should be more come back against referees too, if their decisions are shown to be completely incorrect after the fact (which pretty much never happens now).

And goal line technology should have been in years ago.

I think they need to rigorously sort out the rules and then stick to them, something more like the Rugby set up (I do think there probably should be a sinbin too, as it allows some leeway to stamp authority/punish minor infractions without completely changing the game).

However equally I do think there should be more come back against referees too, if their decisions are shown to be completely incorrect after the fact (which pretty much never happens now).

And goal line technology should have been in years ago.

But then how will the big 4 buy the league? :lol:

:icon_lol:

I've voted 'yes' looking at it objectively. To approach the referee and question his decision is fundamentally wrong IMO unless you are the captain and even then it should be done with respect to the official.

That said, I think this incident was tame when compared to those that have gone before (Keane chasing D'Urso around the same pitch comes to mind). He was an idiot for running across the other side of the pitch to remonstrate (however polite it may have been), that should be Gerrard's job but then Bennett didn't even look at him, he just pulled a card out.

I think he's in more hot water for what happened after the card was produced than the incident itself though. I did wonder if the FA will commend the Liverpool bench for calming him down and dealing with him on the side of the pitch though? They're very keen to charge clubs with "failing to control their players" when the opposite happens....

Bottom line is we need consistency and what happened on Sunday has served to determine that if we are going to be consistent, then zero-tolerance is how it's going to be. The first incident when a referee allows back chat (and it WILL happen) is going to get hammered.

Excellent post Craig.

It should be only the captains allowed to approach the ref and then it should be in a respectful manner.

I know its said all the time but in Rugby players will says things like "come on ref" etc, but as soon as abusive and foul language or intimerdating behaviour is aimed at the officials he is binned. Same should apply to football. Its an emotional psort at the end of the day and a lot of pressure on players but they should still set and example and respect the officials.

There'll probably be a clampdown for about a fortnight then it'll go back to being exactly as it was before.

Aye, usually happens doesn't it? Same in every International Tournament, there's always a few cards dished out at the start of each one then it calms down.

Excellent post Craig.

It should be only the captains allowed to approach the ref and then it should be in a respectful manner.

I know its said all the time but in Rugby players will says things like "come on ref" etc, but as soon as abusive and foul language or intimerdating behaviour is aimed at the officials he is binned. Same should apply to football. Its an emotional psort at the end of the day and a lot of pressure on players but they should still set and example and respect the officials.

My thoughts exactly, I welcome Mascherano's red card for his consistent badgering of the ref, but I want to see cards for the likes of Rooney who scream in referee's faces, yet often seem to get away with it, if refs are going to be hard-nosed when it comes to respect from players then it needs to be consistant across the game.

Sick of players running 20 yards to get involved in something that doesn't concern them. Also, the pleb had spent the last 20 minutes in Bennetts ear whinging about everything so he just got sick of him.

The problem is though that a) it won't happen again this season and b ) he hasn't learnt a thing, still protesting his innocence and he'll do exactly the same thing again the next game without being punished. So, in conclusion, what was the point in sending him off?

Sick of players running 20 yards to get involved in something that doesn't concern them. Also, the pleb had spent the last 20 minutes in Bennetts ear whinging about everything so he just got sick of him.

The problem is though that a) it won't happen again this season and b ) he hasn't learnt a thing, still protesting his innocence and he'll do exactly the same thing again the next game without being punished. So, in conclusion, what was the point in sending him off?

Liverpool are the worst. Gerrard has turned it into a dark art.

They should just make a clear rule where the captain only can approach and discuss things with the ref. They often make rules up and then slacken off on them, or some refs do and some dont and its the lack of consistence that does most peoples head in.

He's a diving bastard an all-I don't know why that doesnt get picked up on more as it's easily on a par with counterfeit Ronaldo's.

Now that you mention that prick, where was he when all this was kicking off ? once again showing his qualities as captain.

It could all be so easilly and quickly stamped out, but it never will because the refs are a waste of space and the people who run football are morons by and large. But ultimately its down to refs as they have (and always have had) the power to sort it out but they are too useless, gutless or biassed to stop it because as we all know the main offenders are always from the top 4 teams and refs won't do it to them, they'll just occasionally pick somebody from a smaller team or in the case of Macherano it happens because a week before the ref was 4th official and got bollocked over the Cole incident.

All refs have to do is instant yellow the second a player dissents, when 4 players rush round a ref, instant 4 yellows, when a player continues to dissent after a yellow, 2nd yellow and off. And then amazingly enough when managers like Fergie, Wenger et al see players suspended they'll stop their players arguing again.

And as people have said from other sports, nobody but the captain needs to be talking to the ref, he can explain anything to him.

But it will never happen until refs grow a pair and punish the big 4 who are the worst offenders, so i have absolutely no sympathy for the gutless prem refs who could stamp it all out in weeks. I do however have a lot of sympathy and respect for refs at the lower end of the game who are paid peanuts or even do the job for free and get nothing but shit from players and fans who wathc it happen in the prem and do the same.

Its a waste of time people banging on about players sorting out their behaviour because lets be honest a large number of them are complete dicks and will never change until they're repeatedly punished and banned and their managers get sick of it.

Guest Stevie

Never a sending off, a Roger Milford, would've told him to pipe down final warning or your off, thus preventing a top game being spoiled, Bennett is an idiot.

Must admit, I though Andy Gray's comments at half time were a bit scathing... Something along the lines of "as soon as I saw Bennett was the ref I knew the game would be ruined...."

Bennett is well known for being over-officious and some would argue he is biased towards Man Utd. With that in mind it probably wasn't the brightest move of the FA to appoint him the referee for this match.

I saw Mascherano being sent off from the challenge that brought about his first booking. The lad was 'wired' for the match in the same way Gazza was for the '91 cup final.

IMO the sending off itself was tame and had it been one of our players that had gone for it, I'd have been up in arms because there is far worse gone unpunished before in this season and will do again. It's what he did afterwards that he's going to get a bollocking for and probably not what Mascherano is referring to when he's protesting his innocence.

Watching the match on TV you didn't have to be a lip-readerto know that he mouthed 'fuck-off' to the referee when he got the first yellow card. The camera zoomed in on him and if looks could kill the Ref would've been dead. Based on that it was pretty obvious he said a lot more than that which brought the second yellow and red and he appeared to just go on and on ranting at the referee.

As with most ugly looking gits, he looked even uglier when he was mad. :lol:

Watching the match on TV you didn't have to be a lip-readerto know that he mouthed 'fuck-off' to the referee when he got the first yellow card. The camera zoomed in on him and if looks could kill the Ref would've been dead. Based on that it was pretty obvious he said a lot more than that which brought the second yellow and red and he appeared to just go on and on ranting at the referee.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups... eh? :icon_lol:

While he obviously did tell Bennett to 'go forth and multiply' for the first card, it's claimed that for the second he simply said "what was that for?" and his hand gestures suggest that this is the case. More than likely that Bennett had simply heard enough of his voice and simply thought enough was enough.

Most people I've spoke to today think he was sent packing for all the niggling throughout the game rather than this particular incident. If that is the case then I think something is wrong.

Interesting that Bennett has said nothing at all - do referee reports get published to the web?

All refs have to do is instant yellow the second a player dissents, when 4 players rush round a ref, instant 4 yellows, when a player continues to dissent after a yellow, 2nd yellow and off. And then amazingly enough when managers like Fergie, Wenger et al see players suspended they'll stop their players arguing again.

I guess a part of the issue as well is that it's not just an English problem, look at the Rooney/Ronaldo sending off in the England/Portugal game.

Although given that it still works in international rugby, I guess there's still no reason it couldn't there.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups... eh? :icon_lol:

While he obviously did tell Bennett to 'go forth and multiply' for the first card, it's claimed that for the second he simply said "what was that for?" and his hand gestures suggest that this is the case. More than likely that Bennett had simply heard enough of his voice and simply thought enough was enough.

Most people I've spoke to today think he was sent packing for all the niggling throughout the game rather than this particular incident. If that is the case then I think something is wrong.

Interesting that Bennett has said nothing at all - do referee reports get published to the web?

I watched MOTD2 and they showed about 4 to 5 occasions where he was in the refs face arguing and shouting at him, all dissent so nobody from Liverpool can have any complaints anyway as he could have gone before he did. But also i'm pretty sure they said Bennett gave it for persistent dissent or something along those lines, and i suspect he'd been given fair warning once or twice before he was sent off that he would be going if he kept it up.

The only things wrong with the red card is that it was as much a reaction to another game (the Ashley Cole incident) as anythign else and that it won't be repeated. Next week you'll see Rooney or Terry etc. scream abuse at a ref and get off, then suddnely another player will walk for less. And at the end of the day it'll go back to normal as refs will never stamp it out even though it would be so easy.

They should just make a clear rule where the captain only can approach and discuss things with the ref. They often make rules up and then slacken off on them, or some refs do and some dont and its the lack of consistence that does most peoples head in.

Doesn't work. And anyone who says 'it works in Ice Hockey' really hasn't watched ice hockey...

I can imagine if they bring in the rule that only the captain may speak to the ref, the players will all run up the captain and say 'tell him he's a wanker' 'can you say fuck off for us?' etc.....so then the captain will need a rule that only the vice captain can speak to him etc etc etc etc

the cherry was asking for it like, he had his neck right out from the get go. I think telling the ref to fuck off should be an instant red card...think of the children - no wonder they're smoking and drinking themselves into house wrecking orgies and beachside mishaps.

I can imagine if they bring in the rule that only the captain may speak to the ref, the players will all run up the captain and say 'tell him he's a wanker' 'can you say fuck off for us?' etc.....so then the captain will need a rule that only the vice captain can speak to him etc etc etc etc

the cherry was asking for it like, he had his neck right out from the get go. I think telling the ref to fuck off should be an instant red card...think of the children - no wonder they're smoking and drinking themselves into house wrecking orgies and beachside mishaps.

That wont happen Trophy. If the Ref in Rugby hears any foul or abusive language etc its off, simple as and we need that in Football without a doubt. BUT Like whats been said, I doubt it wont happen because of the Spineless FA and spoilt twat players / managers