Excel Spreadsheet Help

wykikitoon

Guys

I am training for several mountain bike marathons and endure races this season and would like to keep a more strict look on my diet.

My main interest is the GI of the foods, but would also like to know my protein intake etc . Anyways. I am thinking of making a spreadsheet to keep an eye on things but I am stuck at my first hurdle. Can anyone help me?

I would like to input foods that I eat and calculate the total GI etc in a meal.

So, if I have beans on toats it will give me a total. Now, I was going to put all the foods with their properties on one work book and on the other workbook have a drop down menu with the foods on and some how it will bring up their properties and from there I can add them up and have a rough idea.

I can make the drop down box but not get the properties up, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers for the help

:lol:

Im rather avg with excel. I can prob help more with calculating your macronutrients if needed though :lol: But sounds like you are on the right track, if you are using the lookup function. so for example you might have a sheet with Beans (Protein, Carb, Sugar, Fibre, Net Carb, Fat) and the lookup on the other sheet would pull these numbers from there.

Course, as you are bound to keep adding new foods to the list, you'd have to keep updating the formula etc.

Though Im sure you know it, Main GI Site

Oh, and beans are a good choice, but natural is better than bakes in a tin due to the sugar content :icon_lol:

Just been thinking.

I could put the lists of foods in a drop down menu and then the cells next to them have their values come up. Is there a function IF. Ie IF Cell = Eggs, then it shows the values or am I making it too hard?

Can you put up an example of the properties? for instance, does eggs just have one value or a number of them ie value a, value b, etc etc?

As Im a fat lazy bastard then I havent got a clue about GI (unless its GI Joe ?????)

Can you put up an example of the properties? for instance, does eggs just have one value or a number of them ie value a, value b, etc etc?

As Im a fat lazy bastard then I havent got a clue about GI (unless its GI Joe ?????)

:lol:

Eggs (1 Avg Egg)

Calories - 70Kcal

Fat - 2.0g

GI - 47

Carbs - 1g

Protein - 6.5g

Bread (Whoemeal)

Calories - 220Kcal

Fat - 2.0g

GI - 67

Carbs - 38g

Protein - 10.5g

So thats what I would be look for, made up etc.

So say I choose Scrambled Eggs on 2 Slices of Wholemeal Toast, then these values would be added together. I would have to input quite a lot of data but I dont mind that.

Unless you're racing professionally/elite level I wouldn't get that anal about your diet, the difference between keeping a decent eye on it and micromanaging every detail probably won't be very noticeable.

I used to regularly do a couple of hundred miles though Snowdonia on a hangover and a few of pieces of toast. :lol:

If not you could maybe try something like THIS, which isn't exactly designed for what you need, but might do the trick.

Just been thinking.

I could put the lists of foods in a drop down menu and then the cells next to them have their values come up. Is there a function IF. Ie IF Cell = Eggs, then it shows the values or am I making it too hard?

Did you get this sorted? If not, I've knocked up a quick workbook you may find useful. PM me your email addy so I can spa... send it to you.

Unless you're racing professionally/elite level I wouldn't get that anal about your diet, the difference between keeping a decent eye on it and micromanaging every detail probably won't be very noticeable.

I used to regularly do a couple of hundred miles though Snowdonia on a hangover and a few of pieces of toast. :lol:

If not you could maybe try something like THIS, which isn't exactly designed for what you need, but might do the trick.

I doubt you did Snowdon on toast dude :icon_lol:

I am racing in several enduros and marathons this year and was interested in my diet and what performace I get when I eat certain foods thats all.

I aint gonna cut certain foods out etc but was interested in my GI

I doubt you did Snowdon on toast dude :nufc:

I am racing in several enduros and marathons this year and was interested in my diet and what performace I get when I eat certain foods thats all.

I aint gonna cut certain foods out etc but was interested in my GI

Well I used to run up the miners track from Llanberis to the summit of Snowdon with my bike and then cycle down it most weekends on nothing but some fluids, usually because I was too hungover to eat anything. It could be absolute hell, but it was an excellent hangover cure. :icon_lol: It is amazing what you can do if you do it often enough.

But I was actually on about cycling on the roads there (although going through the passes puts an awful lot of height on the flat mileage).

I was just meaning I don't think it's worth looking too seriously (and might actually psychologically be counter-productive) at your diet unless you're at a level where fitness and fluids aren't going to be your main issues.

See now I disagree :lol: I think you do need to keep a track of your macronutrients. Maybe not every day, but Im pretty clued up on what I eat. The mistakes alot of people make are things like eating low fat foods that are worse than full fat as they are loaded with sugar. Avoiding fat when its really good for you if its the right kind (nuts, seeds, avocado, flaxseed oil, oily fish etc). Also, eating high Gi carbs for fuel and not low GI and so finding 2hrs into a hike they are knackered as they glucose spiked and crashed.

Oh, and you might find this handy : www.fitday.com

Road biking imo isnt that bad unless youre racing, mountain biking if your doing more than pootling you need to be eating correctly. In my opinion anyways.

Nice webby JawD marra

Thanks MrBass top spreadsheet :lol:

See now I disagree :lol: I think you do need to keep a track of your macronutrients. Maybe not every day, but Im pretty clued up on what I eat. The mistakes alot of people make are things like eating low fat foods that are worse than full fat as they are loaded with sugar. Avoiding fat when its really good for you if its the right kind (nuts, seeds, avocado, flaxseed oil, oily fish etc). Also, eating high Gi carbs for fuel and not low GI and so finding 2hrs into a hike they are knackered as they glucose spiked and crashed.

Oh, and you might find this handy : www.fitday.com

Yeah, but most of that is just plain old eating sensibly (I dunno maybe I'm not thinking of the average joe here as I've eaten sensibly for fitness, muscle building and health reasons for a long time now), personally if I was trying to replicate Fiennes 7 marathons in 7 days or something then fair enough, but even doing something like the 3 peaks challenge there's no need to be too anal about it, as fitness, fluids and knowing how not to get yourself killed on a mountain (and not having a crash on the motorways in-between) are all going to have a bigger impact.

That's a nice program though. :nufc:

Road biking imo isnt that bad unless youre racing, mountain biking if your doing more than pootling you need to be eating correctly. In my opinion anyways.

Well if you're doing high mileage at a reasonable speed through areas where there's a large difference in height it is fairly strenuous (cycle up the A4068 and tell me that it is easy :icon_lol: - probably the nearest comparison closish to here is riding from Ullswater up Kirkstone Pass and across to Rydal and then back and throw in at least 40 miles of flatter road at either end of that), probably worse than most non-elite mountain bike endurance courses.

And I'd certainly say doing Snowdon is, 1000m in 4 miles, even without a hangover (it's fun on the way down though :lol: ).

wallpaper8.jpg

I just suspect you'll get more out of looking at your fitness training than your diet, so long as its reasonable healthy in the first place.

Ive done the Dawn Raid on Snowdon. Up and down before the cycle curfew :nufc:

I think Diet and Fitness go hand in hand tbh

Yeah during summer you wouldn't want to be doing it inside the curfew anyway, far too many people.

It's massive fun to do when it is snowing though, well baring having your gloves freeze solid and to the handle bars as well. :fool:

Did you manage to make it 100% of the way down mounted? (well baring styles and the tripoint :blush:)

Ive done the Dawn Raid on Snowdon. Up and down before the cycle curfew :)

I think Diet and Fitness go hand in hand tbh

Yeah during summer you wouldn't want to be doing it inside the curfew anyway, far too many people.

It's massive fun to do when it is snowing though, well baring having your gloves freeze solid and to the handle bars as well. :blink:

Did you manage to make it 100% of the way down mounted? (well baring styles and the tripoint :))

No, dabbed a couple of times just to get my breath :)

Ill be trying again this summer, awesome :)

dr9.jpg