Hughton backs Magpies to soar

khay

Chris Hughton has told Sky Sports News that he expects Newcastle to become upwardly mobile now that they have got a much needed win under their belt.

The Magpies' 2-0 victory over fellow strugglers Fulham on Saturday was their first in 14 attempts in the league, and their first since Kevin Keegan returned for a second stint as manager back in January.

While they are still not mathematically guaranteed to avoid the drop this season, the win has opened up a six point cushion on the bottom three and first team coach Hughton is confident that the club will still be playing top flight football next season.

Habit

"Certainly it becomes a habit, winning and not winning," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think what you want to be able to do is to build up a head of steam, and take the amount of confidence you can get from one win.

"I think that's the stage we've reached at the moment and I'm very, very confident that we can go on from there."

With Newcastle due to travel to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham on Saturday, Hughton is bracing himself for an emotional return to a club where he spent 27 years as a player and coach.

He found himself surplus to requirements in North London following Martin Jol's departure back in October and admits that he found it difficult to severe ties with a club which had played such a major role in his professional career.

"Of course it was difficult once you have spent so many years at a club," he said.

"It is always a wrench to leave but, I think from my point, the most important thing was that I stayed positive and looked for a new challenge."

Chris Hughton has told Sky Sports News that he expects Newcastle to become upwardly mobile now that they have got a much needed win under their belt.

The Magpies' 2-0 victory over fellow strugglers Fulham on Saturday was their first in 14 attempts in the league, and their first since Kevin Keegan returned for a second stint as manager back in January.

While they are still not mathematically guaranteed to avoid the drop this season, the win has opened up a six point cushion on the bottom three and first team coach Hughton is confident that the club will still be playing top flight football next season.

Habit

"Certainly it becomes a habit, winning and not winning," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think what you want to be able to do is to build up a head of steam, and take the amount of confidence you can get from one win.

"I think that's the stage we've reached at the moment and I'm very, very confident that we can go on from there."

With Newcastle due to travel to White Hart Lane to face Tottenham on Saturday, Hughton is bracing himself for an emotional return to a club where he spent 27 years as a player and coach.

He found himself surplus to requirements in North London following Martin Jol's departure back in October and admits that he found it difficult to severe ties with a club which had played such a major role in his professional career.

"Of course it was difficult once you have spent so many years at a club," he said.

"It is always a wrench to leave but, I think from my point, the most important thing was that I stayed positive and looked for a new challenge."

It's always better not to say these things in interviews although I understand the reasoning behind it. Celebrating success is important but there is a balance between that and bringing more pressure on the team.