Souness Has A Pop At Toon Fans

Tooj

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east...79310-20692698/

FORMER Toon boss Graeme Souness has launched a scathing attack on Newcastle United’s loyal fans, labelling them “unforgiving, critical customers”.

Souness — paid a £3.2m golden handshake after being sacked in 2006 — rounded on them for their lack of loyalty to managers, saying he won’t return to football management because he’d been “sickened” by his 18 months at St James’s.

His astonishing outburst came yesterday on Ireland’s main radio station RTE Radio One, during an interview with sports presenter Eamon Dunphy.

During the hour-long show Souness, 54, who managed Rangers, Liverpool and Blackburn before coming to Tyneside in 2004, also criticised fans “up there” for assuming Newcastle is a big club.

He said: “The last job well and truly sickened me. The Newcastle one was a bad experience . . . I’m sure if you asked Sam Allardyce he would tell you the same, it was just an unhealthy situation there.

“I believe Newcastle is a club that gets 52,000 people paying to watch them every other week and they have 22,000 supporters and 30,000 customers. They are extremely critical.

“You ask yourself why are they so unforgiving? They’ve done nothing since 1969, so where this opinion comes from that they are a big club and should be winning things comes from . . . .”

“It should be a fabulous club and could be a fabulous club. I was there 18 months. We reached the semi-final of the FA Cup, the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup.

“I think it was nine consecutive wins which equalled the club record and I can remember going into that period where we had these semi-finals coming up and thinking ‘If we lose these they will be calling for our heads’ and that’s the way it is up there.” (The club actually won seven games in a row under Souness, and the club record is 11.) The Scott, whose unpopular reign as Newcastle boss ended in February 2006, also recounted the end of his tenure and the notorious home game against Aston Villa, in which teammates Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer were sent off for fighting.

He said: “They ended up fighting each other and they both got sent off. And that’s typical of that club.

“There’s just something about it. It should be a fabulous club but they all have to take a deep breath and count to 10, the supporters, and say to themselves we’ve got to give someone a chance.

“As far as I can see only Kevin (Keegan) or Alan Shearer would be given anything like the time needed to turn that club into a powerful club.”

Billy Furious, life-long Magpie fan and sports writer for Newcastle United fanzine, The Mag, said he and other loyal fans would be outraged by Souness’s comments.

He said: “Like Sam Allardyce, he walked away from Newcastle with millions of pounds of supporters’ money, which he didn’t earn or deserve. All they both do is look for someone to blame for their own inadequacies . . . and no one ever asked him to justify spending £8.5m on Jean-Alain Boumsong.

“And as for calling us critical, it’s because we know rubbish when we see it.

“The thing that most galled us about Souness is that he tried to tell us something was great when it clearly was not, and he chased all the decent players away.”

Michael Martin, editor of fanzine True Faith, was equally enraged.

He said: “It was his fault he failed at Newcastle and he got a big payout for it, and we’re a big club that bought very badly under his reign.

“He was a fantastic player but a disaster as a manager . . . a phony and a coward.

“If he wants to discuss it, I know a few people who would like to talk to him here, so maybe the big man can come here and say it.”

Last night Newcastle United weren’t prepared to comment.

Is it me, or does he have a look of Killian from The Running Man?

killianvj4.jpg

Aye, what a load of shit. He's been trying to get a job unsuccessfully since he left here and now he's suddenly decided the experience up here sickened him so much he's finished with football. Fuck off man.

“I think it was nine consecutive wins which equalled the club record and I can remember going into that period where we had these semi-finals coming up and thinking ‘If we lose these they will be calling for our heads’ and that’s the way it is up there.” (The club actually won seven games in a row under Souness, and the club record is 11.)

Sums the prick up really.

Guest Stevie

What a total jock bastard. He's full of contradictions.

The Geordie people are fantastic. They are open and in your face. If they are not happy with something, they will tell you. They deserve far better than they have got.

"I don't think even Roy Keane could describe Newcastle fans as `the prawn sandwich brigade'," Souness added. "In fact, I would say Newcastle United fans are unique in the Premiership. They remind me of the Rangers fans in Glasgow. Like those fans, Newcastle United is the most important thing in their lives.

:nufc: What a bitter bitter cunt, took him two years to become sickened, what a joke if he got offered a job tomorrow he'd take it. Actually the dim wit even said he'd like to manage us again when Allardyce was sacked I suppose he forgot all about saying that ayy.

:nufc: Class. I 'love' the way the Bowyer - Dyer thing is 'typical of the club'. Player discipline being nothing to do with the manager like. It papered over the fact we'd already been stuffed at home by a very ordinary Villa team too. The winning streak, including some dreadful Uefa Cup opponents iirc, papered over how ordinary we were too.

Dunphy's a cunt too who'll have a pop at us now to get his tongue further up Roy Keane's arse.

He needs to make his mind up:

Former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness would welcome a second chance at St James' Park.

Harry Redknapp turned down the Magpies vacancy on Saturday following Sam Allardyce's brief tenure, with the St James' Park side searching for their seventh manager in 10 years.

Souness endured a difficult spell from 2004-06 as Toon boss under Freddy Shepherd, but would be happy to return to Tyneside under new owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort.

Big club

Asked on Sky Sports 1 if he would be interested in going back, Souness said: "With [there now being] a different chairman, most certainly."

When pressed on whether he would take the job if it was offered to him, he added: "In a heartbeat. It is a big club, one of the big clubs out there.

"It has got the potential to be one of the best. But it's not a quick fix, and whoever goes in there is going to need certainly a minimum of three or four years."

Choice

Newcastle spent vast sums on transfers during Souness' tenure - including the signing of Michael Owen from Real Madrid - but the Scot refuted the suggestion he was fully backed by then-chairman Shepherd.

"I would argue that point because at the end of the day my first choice was (Nicolas) Anelka and (Luis) Boa Morte.

"I was told, when I spoke to the people in Turkey, when Anelka was for sale at that time, that he could be bought. But I was told he wasn't for sale and couldn't be bought.

"So instead of us spending the £12million there, we bought Albert Luque for £10million and Michael Owen for £16million."

Asked whether those were his decisions, Souness said: "No. I was told Albert Luque would cost £2million."

:nufc: Class. I 'love' the way the Bowyer - Dyer thing is 'typical of the club'. Player discipline being nothing to do with the manager like. It papered over the fact we'd already been stuffed at home by a very ordinary Villa team too. The winning streak, including some dreadful Uefa Cup opponents iirc, papered over how ordinary we were too.

Dunphy's a cunt too who'll have a pop at us now to get his tongue further up Roy Keane's arse.

Yeah, most of it is bollocks, but I really didn't understand that bit, that fight was the managers ultimate responsibility one way or another. No one else can really be blamed for that (other than the players), even if there were other off field issues.

I think he's right mind about the 22,000 bit.

Aye :nufc: even if the figure might be a bit off.

Agree, the figure may be different but that point had some truth in it. Everything else was the typical bitter load of shite you'd expect from a sad, clueless fucker like him. He just makes some of it up as he goes along.

He needs to make his mind up:

Former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness would welcome a second chance at St James' Park.

Harry Redknapp turned down the Magpies vacancy on Saturday following Sam Allardyce's brief tenure, with the St James' Park side searching for their seventh manager in 10 years.

Souness endured a difficult spell from 2004-06 as Toon boss under Freddy Shepherd, but would be happy to return to Tyneside under new owner Mike Ashley and chairman Chris Mort.

Big club

Asked on Sky Sports 1 if he would be interested in going back, Souness said: "With [there now being] a different chairman, most certainly."

When pressed on whether he would take the job if it was offered to him, he added: "In a heartbeat. It is a big club, one of the big clubs out there.

"It has got the potential to be one of the best. But it's not a quick fix, and whoever goes in there is going to need certainly a minimum of three or four years."

Choice

Newcastle spent vast sums on transfers during Souness' tenure - including the signing of Michael Owen from Real Madrid - but the Scot refuted the suggestion he was fully backed by then-chairman Shepherd.

"I would argue that point because at the end of the day my first choice was (Nicolas) Anelka and (Luis) Boa Morte.

"I was told, when I spoke to the people in Turkey, when Anelka was for sale at that time, that he could be bought. But I was told he wasn't for sale and couldn't be bought.

"So instead of us spending the £12million there, we bought Albert Luque for £10million and Michael Owen for £16million."

Asked whether those were his decisions, Souness said: "No. I was told Albert Luque would cost £2million."

Class.

I would love Sky to get him in the studio spouting this shite to a few Newcastle fans who would put everybody right, starting with his past comment that he was given 50m quid to "tart the team up".

The only tart is him, and somehow I don't think he would take up the offer.

He lied ref Bellamy, and at Michael Owens press conference, he said he'd wrote down the name of Owen as the player he'd most like to sign.

Once a liar, always a liar.

He's also, like Jimmy Greaves, and ex Spurs player.

Hope the two of them enjoyed the result today.

hahahaha

This is boiling my piss, I'm going to fuck him if i see him.

:nufc: Getting your point across anally.

He'd only be doing to Souness what he did to NUFC tbh.

Guest Stevie
I think he's right mind about the 22,000 bit.

Aye :nufc: even if the figure might be a bit off.

Agree, the figure may be different but that point had some truth in it. Everything else was the typical bitter load of shite you'd expect from a sad, clueless fucker like him. He just makes some of it up as he goes along.

Aye, I'll accept that, but I think the ratio of fans to supporters is farrrrrrrrrr lower than at some clubs.