Marine dives on grenade and lives.

Howay

Amazing tbh totally mental but also obviously extremely brave, he has to get the VC for it the two lads behind him in the patrol reckon they'd be dead if he hadn't done it. Luckily he only got a nosebleed!

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/3003_victoria_cross.shtml

4 Americans have done this as well one won the medal of honour the other three are waiting presidential approval they all were killed though sadly.

Edited by Barton7

I thought the VC was awarded only if you single handedly changed the course of a battle? Not for selfless acts of bravery alone?

I thought the VC was awarded only if you single handedly changed the course of a battle? Not for selfless acts of bravery alone?

It's awarded for "most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy." apparently, so it must be either a Victoria or George cross for him. It's all down to weather or not they want to class it as being in the presence of enemy, it was an enemy trap and the enemy did come eventually (he reckons he killed him :nufc: ). Whichever of the two he gets he deserves tbh definite hero.

Been lucky, they were testing this on Mythbusters the other week and basically you're fucked.

Maybe it was a more home made thing (and positioning yourself to the side rather than on top probably helps - with grenades too :nufc: ), but whether it was or not, he wouldn't know that at the time.

normally the easiest way NOT to get a VC or a GC is for someone to splash the story all over the papers

remember that teacher who took on a nutter with a samurai sword in her infant school - got cut up a treat and only got a GM

normally the easiest way NOT to get a VC or a GC is for someone to splash the story all over the papers

remember that teacher who took on a nutter with a samurai sword in her infant school - got cut up a treat and only got a GM

You only get GCs and VCs for valour in combat don't you?

VC is combat against the enemy only

GC is for outrageous bravery for civilians and the armed forces (not in direct combat) - VC ranks higher in the armed services but equal if you are in civy street. VC's are always spoken to as "SIR" and are saluted regardless of rank

Then you work down to the CGM, GM, DSO, DSC, DFC etc etc

VC is combat against the enemy only

GC is for outrageous bravery for civilians and the armed forces (not in direct combat) - VC ranks higher in the armed services but equal if you are in civy street. VC's are always spoken to as "SIR" and are saluted regardless of rank

Then you work down to the CGM, GM, DSO, DSC, DFC etc etc

Didn't know that, I just thought GC was one down from a VC.

"Announcing the new award, the King said: "In order that they should be worthily and promptly recognised, I have decided to create, at once, a new mark of honour for men and women in all walks of civilian life. I propose to give my name to this new distinction, which will consist of the George Cross, which will rank next to the Victoria Cross"

Its harder to get alive - something like 86 posthumous and 73 to the living ....................