Harper for England?

smoggeordie

Been the second best English keeper in the league this season for me, behind David James. Made some quality saves again today and IMO he really deserves a chance. Would be an utter disgrace if Given walked straight back into the side when fit, when it should be Harpers shirt to lose.

Scott Carson has been more consistant, knee jerk to say the least.

I don't think so, Harper has been pretty bloody good for us in givens absence a few times this season and it's been harsh on him to be dropped for given as soon as he's fit, the fact he seems to be able to perform to a good standard when his first team appearances have huge gaps between them speaks a lot for him IMO

James has been doing really well... I don't think Harper is to that level yet. More games and I can see it happening though. Harper is definitely doing better than Robinson though.

Agreed he's not at the level of James, but he's better than Carson, Kirkland and Green etc...

James has been doing really well... I don't think Harper is to that level yet. More games and I can see it happening though. Harper is definitely doing better than Robinson though.

Agreed he's not at the level of James, but he's better than Carson, Kirkland and Green etc...

Green's been class this season.

I concur.

Always thought he was excellent in terms of back-up but overrated a bit. However he's really impressed me since he took over from Given and on this season's form he's easily been the better 'keeper.

Always thought he was excellent in terms of back-up but overrated a bit. However he's really impressed me since he took over from Given and on this season's form he's easily been the better 'keeper.

I agree. His is/was the perfect player to step in when you need him without the team suffering from a gap in quality between first and second 'keeper. He might now even be considered as first keeper. But promoting him even another level it's probably far too much (even though considering the very poor quality of other English 'keepers).

I agree. His is/was the perfect player to step in when you need him without the team suffering from a gap in quality between first and second 'keeper. He might now even be considered as first keeper. But promoting him even another level it's probably far too much (even though considering the very poor quality of other English 'keepers).

As I've said (ad nauseum) we've been vastly lucky to have the best backup keeper in the Premiership (certainly by a massive amount over the whole period) in Harper.

He could have quite easily been a first team keeper, maybe not at Man U, but quite probably in a European challenging side.

It'd be nice to see him get an England call, as he must be one of the best never (?) to have got one, even if it is a bit of a backhanded thing due to the lack of overall quality in English goalies.

I think he may have left it too late, even though keepers can go on for years. He's never mentioned in relation to England as he's never been a regular in his career at the club and so he would really need to start next season as no.1 and stay there to have any chance of a call up.

Though i suppose he has timed it well in temrs of a new foreign manager arriving in Cappello who may take notice of him if he watches us, but i doubt he'll get a call up.

Agree with people saying we've been lucky to have a backup keeper who will always do a steady job and this season you can't deny he's been the better keeper as Given has been miles from the player you expect him to be.

Can't say I'd be too fussed if Given left tbh, I'd be surprised if he went to one of the big 4 unlike some people who claim he is the best keeper in the league

Well until his big injury he was still one of the best keepers in the league.

Can't say I'd be too fussed if Given left tbh, I'd be surprised if he went to one of the big 4 unlike some people who claim he is the best keeper in the league

Harper's done really well and imo Given looked like a man resting on his laurels. His distribution has been a disgrace for a while and he's done fuck all about it, so maybe now that Harper's had a decent run it'll give Given a reminder that it's customary to have to work for your place in a team. It's been too easy for him at NUFC for years.

Harper's done really well and imo Given looked like a man resting on his laurels. His distribution has been a disgrace for a while and he's done fuck all about it, so maybe now that Harper's had a decent run it'll give Given a reminder that it's customary to have to work for your place in a team. It's been too easy for him at NUFC for years.

Fully agree, good post.

I think Harper has been consistant when called upon. He has made some great saves and his kicking is far better then 50p foot Given. He should retain his place until he looses form

As for England I would have him above Robinson,Carson and Kirkland. James is knocking on a bit now so maybe he will get a chance if he keeps his place and form his for with us, I hope so