Bentley to Leave B'Burn

The Fish

Bentley hints at Blackburn exit

David Bentley

Bentley wants a regular England starting place

David Bentley says he has not ruled out leaving Blackburn to further his goal of becoming an England regular.

The 23-year-old is in talks with Rovers over a new contract but admits he wants to play regular European football in order to gain England recognition.

Rovers are still in the hunt for a Uefa Cup spot, but Bentley said: "Time will tell over the next few months what will happen. It's a big decision in my life.

"You never know in football. Sometimes you have to make strong decisions."

Bentley has shown in the past he is willing to take difficult decisions, handing in a transfer request at Arsenal in 2005 in pursuit of first-team football.

He also caused controversy by making himself unavailable for England Under-21s last year, citing tiredness and his desire to extend his international career in the long term.

I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting

Blackburn's David Bentley

Blackburn are seven points behind fifth-placed Everton in the race for a guaranteed Uefa Cup spot.

Asked if Blackburn missing out on Europe would precipitate a move, Bentley - who has been linked with Liverpool - added: "I won't answer that. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

"I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game. I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting."

Bentley must force his way ahead of David Beckham, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Aaron Lennon if he is to become a regular on England's right flank.

But he said: "I'm in the early stages of my England career. I'm going to have to work hard, it's up to me to take the position.

606: DEBATE

When was the last time Rovers sold a player for him to go on and be truly successful with another club?

jeremy_fitch

"There's a lot of good players in this country, but if I perform then I believe I can take it, so we'll have to see."

Bentley came off the bench to replace Beckham for the last half-hour of a drab 1-0 defeat by France in Paris but said he did not particularly enjoy the experience.

"It was a strange game. It wasn't very enjoyable. It wasn't the best of games watching from the bench," he said.

"It's the stage of the season we're at. I don't think there should be a game like that anyway.

"I think it was a difficult situation. A lot of the lads are preparing themselves for the Premier League and the Champions League so it can be difficult to play a game like that for both sides.

"It was a half-hearted, 50% effort. Everyone wants to play well for England but sometimes it just happens like that.

"It wasn't enjoyable for me but you try to have an effect on the game, you go out there and try to have an effect but it is difficult to get into a game like that."

I really rate him and likes the effort he puts in during a game. He and Milner could work well down either wing for us.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is my point, none of the top four clubs would take him and if he'll go to the likes of Villa and Spurs, he's as likely to be persuaded to come here.

this is my point, none of the top four clubs would take him and if he'll go to the likes of Villa and Spurs, he's as likely to be persuaded to come here.

He is a better right winger than anyone Liverpool have (unless Gerrard plays there).

Why wouldnt any of the top 4 clubs want him thats what i wanna know, surely he is good enough, if not why should we want him?

because at the moment we're not ever top half nevermind top 4 and we need to improve, he could do that plus he's only 23 and still improving

bullshit - along with Berbatov, I think he's top of the shopping list for each of the top 4. He's proving himself in the Prem - minimum risk...

I'd love to think we could attract him but out of our league IMO...

bullshit - along with Berbatov, I think he's top of the shopping list for each of the top 4. He's proving himself in the Prem - minimum risk...

Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea definitely wouldn't take him. He's not good enough for them, not by a good distance either. Liverpool is a possibility.. but even then I wouldn't bank on it.

I think a lot of people see a player excelling at a lower club and they assume that this player would benefit from playing for a bigger club. I think Bentley wants to move because Blackburn don't share his (or Mark Hughes') ambition. We clearly do.

Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea definitely wouldn't take him. He's not good enough for them, not by a good distance either. Liverpool is a possibility.. but even then I wouldn't bank on it.

I think a lot of people see a player excelling at a lower club and they assume that this player would benefit from playing for a bigger club. I think Bentley wants to move because Blackburn don't share his (or Mark Hughes') ambition. We clearly do.

I think you'd be surprised...

Reminds me very much of Rob Lee in his younger days - showed tremendous promise when he was on Arsenal's books and I just think he'll get better and better.

IMO he's a far better talent than SWP (even when he as at his peak).

I think you'd be surprised...

Reminds me very much of Rob Lee in his younger days - showed tremendous promise when he was on Arsenal's books and I just think he'll get better and better.

IMO he's a far better talent than SWP (even when he as at his peak).

well he has a final product so yeh

Safe bet he will head to chelsea to "play european fotaball" and end up on the bench getting loads of cash. Remember Sidwell? Same story, different player.

Bentley's already been there, done that though. That's why he left Arsenal; not sure he'd fancy it again.

If he went to Liverpool I'd take Pennant from them for 4 million

No better than what we have imo.

more baggage than a terminal 5 handler. makes keiron dyer seem saintlike in comparison.

no ta.

if we could get him (bentley) then great.

If we're sticking with the 4-3-3 he's not the type of player we should be looking at IMO. If, longterm, we intend to revert back to 4-4-2, then he'd be a quality addition.

As others have said the 4-3-3 is just Kev making do with what he has, doubt he'll persist with it.

but Liverpool can attract better than Bentley. Aren't they after Quaresma?

Bentley is also English so im not sure a Spanish team will really want to sign him + im sure there would be a language gap with the Pewl boys too. Id love Bentley here, he's a twat but a lot of past & present NUFC players are :). Bentley is really nice to watch, he has the odd killer shot and plays some really creative/original balls.

If he went to Liverpool I'd take Pennant from them for 4 million

I hate Pennant and he's not that good either.

If we're sticking with the 4-3-3 he's not the type of player we should be looking at IMO. If, longterm, we intend to revert back to 4-4-2, then he'd be a quality addition.

As others have said the 4-3-3 is just Kev making do with what he has, doubt he'll persist with it.

Agree totally...

I fully expect KK to be looking for a long-term replacement for Viduka out of the same mould as Sir Les. Couple of decent wingers and I feel he could drop Owen into a similar role to what Beardsley used to do for us.

The defence is still a concern although with Faye & Beye I think we've got decent foundations to build on. Enrique has shown promise in recent weeks but the jury is still out tbh. Neither Cacapa & Rozenhal have really adapted to the Premiership (although KK hasn't really worked with either so who knows) but IMO Steven Taylor is the most over-rated player we have.