Bentley to Leave B'Burn

The Fish

If we're sticking with the 4-3-3 he's not the type of player we should be looking at IMO. If, longterm, we intend to revert back to 4-4-2, then he'd be a quality addition.

As others have said the 4-3-3 is just Kev making do with what he has, doubt he'll persist with it.

Agree totally...

I fully expect KK to be looking for a long-term replacement for Viduka out of the same mould as Sir Les. Couple of decent wingers and I feel he could drop Owen into a similar role to what Beardsley used to do for us.

The defence is still a concern although with Faye & Beye I think we've got decent foundations to build on. Enrique has shown promise in recent weeks but the jury is still out tbh. Neither Cacapa & Rozenhal have really adapted to the Premiership (although KK hasn't really worked with either so who knows) but IMO Steven Taylor is the most over-rated player we have.

I reckon Enrique will make it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bentley, he might come here or he might go to one of the CL clubs but either way he is exactly the sort of player we should be going all out to sign. What would still concern me though, were he to come, is the lack of pace in the side. Something he wouldn't improve.

Bentley isn't slow.

that's for sure.

he skins quite a few opponents, he's certainly as fast as Joe Cole. not exactly Martins standards but still quickish.

plus, he barely needs any room for a good delivery, particuarly as he's so two footed.

if we're playing 4-4-2 next season we need to sign wingers, if we're playing 4-3-3 we need to sign a Viduka replacement and an attacking midfielder.

Joe Cole's not fast either though, we could sign him and we'd still have the lack of pace issue. I'm not saying Bentley isn't a good player or anything as I'd love him here. It's just we'd need an injection of pace in the side still. I'd love to see Bentley play in the middle here with two quick wingers either side (N'Zogbia and Lennon/SWP would do nicely) and a workhorse alongside him.

If we're sticking with the 4-3-3 he's not the type of player we should be looking at IMO. If, longterm, we intend to revert back to 4-4-2, then he'd be a quality addition.

I think he'd be class as the attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3.

Joe Cole's not fast either though, we could sign him and we'd still have the lack of pace issue. I'm not saying Bentley isn't a good player or anything as I'd love him here. It's just we'd need an injection of pace in the side still. I'd love to see Bentley play in the middle here with two quick wingers either side (N'Zogbia and Lennon/SWP would do nicely) and a workhorse alongside him.

He's no Franz Carr like.... but I know what you're getting at. :)

Gillespie & Ginola were effective because not only could the corss the ball, they'd mug their respective full-backs on pace first. Bentley/Cole are the types of players who need to beat the defenders on skill alone.

Gillespie & Ginola were effective because not only could the corss the ball, they'd mug their respective full-backs on pace first. Bentley/Cole are the types of players who need to beat the defenders on skill alone.

It's a trade off between close control and 'knocking it past'.

Wouldn't exactly say Ginola was of your Linford Christie varity though.

He's no Franz Carr like.... but I know what you're getting at. :blink:

Enough steroids and he might have been, probably would have made his hair fall out though. :)

True... Ginola tended to use the 'Klinsmann roll' rather effectively to gain an advantage..... :blink:

Had a turn of pace but you're right, he wasn't particularly quick. Certainly more akin to Joe Cole or Bentley than Gillespie in that regard.

this is my point, none of the top four clubs would take him and if he'll go to the likes of Villa and Spurs, he's as likely to be persuaded to come here.

bullshit - along with Berbatov, I think he's top of the shopping list for each of the top 4. He's proving himself in the Prem - minimum risk...

I'd love to think we could attract him but out of our league IMO...

Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea definitely wouldn't take him. He's not good enough for them, not by a good distance either. Liverpool is a possibility.. but even then I wouldn't bank on it.

I think a lot of people see a player excelling at a lower club and they assume that this player would benefit from playing for a bigger club. I think Bentley wants to move because Blackburn don't share his (or Mark Hughes') ambition. We clearly do.

I think you'd be surprised...

Reminds me very much of Rob Lee in his younger days - showed tremendous promise when he was on Arsenal's books and I just think he'll get better and better.

IMO he's a far better talent than SWP (even when he as at his peak).

Man Utd wouldn't want him as they have Ronaldo, unless they're going to use him more central or on the left. Can't see Wenger fancying him either after his comments in the press recently re Wallcott leaving to get first-team football.

Chelsea and Liverpool could possibly be interested though...

this is my point, none of the top four clubs would take him and if he'll go to the likes of Villa and Spurs, he's as likely to be persuaded to come here.

bullshit - along with Berbatov, I think he's top of the shopping list for each of the top 4. He's proving himself in the Prem - minimum risk...

I'd love to think we could attract him but out of our league IMO...

Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea definitely wouldn't take him. He's not good enough for them, not by a good distance either. Liverpool is a possibility.. but even then I wouldn't bank on it.

I think a lot of people see a player excelling at a lower club and they assume that this player would benefit from playing for a bigger club. I think Bentley wants to move because Blackburn don't share his (or Mark Hughes') ambition. We clearly do.

I think you'd be surprised...

Reminds me very much of Rob Lee in his younger days - showed tremendous promise when he was on Arsenal's books and I just think he'll get better and better.

IMO he's a far better talent than SWP (even when he as at his peak).

Man Utd wouldn't want him as they have Ronaldo, unless they're going to use him more central or on the left. Can't see Wenger fancying him either after his comments in the press recently re Wallcott leaving to get first-team football.

Chelsea and Liverpool could possibly be interested though...

if liverpool finally do go for quaresma then I'd say we would be most likely to steal him

a decent winger doesn't need outstanding pace if he can't deliver the ball ( franz carr/ toney daley) i'd rather have someone more reliable that can pick the pass/ cross.... and also improve our set plays....

no disrespect but bentley has proved he's a good footballer and can deliver (unlike milner) one or 2 matchwinning crosses per game.

if we were to go 4 - 4 - 2 he would make sense on the right and would be the best player in that position we have here. if we have the money we should attempt to get him...

Anyone listen to the Keegan phone in interview thing, he mentions how important pace is, but brings up the case of Gillespie and Ginola, saying that Ginola wasn't fast at all (something he really hammers home by repeating it in various fashions time and again). He says it's all well and good having a fast player, but you also need to pass the ball. He said Ginola seemed pacey because he'd beat a man by drawing them into a tackle then running beyond them or around them or simply passing the ball away. It wasn't that he was beating the guy with pure pace, just that the defender was on his arse nine times out of ten.

Bentley would do the job for us although the notion of us getting him is a little far-fetched I'd say. Certainly Milner will need replacing before long although I can't say it's my top priority to get a right winger in. Milner could do the job for another season, he's a good lad and puts his heart into the game although he ultimately lacks quality. Too indecisive and his crosses need serious work.

On the topic of overrated England players, though, none beats Steven Taylor. I wonder if Blackburn are interested in a center back? :)