Classical Music

Happy Face

I am a bit partial to the odd bit of classical music and I enjoyed Yo Yo Ma's appearance on the West Wing, so I've agreed to go and see Jian Wang this weekend. This sort of thing...

http://www.edwardarron.com/shareddocuments...onata-Mvt-3.mp3

Quite looking forward to it as my live music is normally restricted to pop/rock/rap/electronic. I might book up for a few more, seems the sage calendar is chock full of them.

So what's your favourite bit of classical I should look out for?

I'm pretty clueless about it but I like minimal piano stuff like you get with Debussy and Satie (classed as modernist I think). I also really like Phillip Glass's : Solo Piano album which is, as the name suggests, in the same vein. You'll probably have heard all 3 at one time or another and the latter is occasionally used as background music on documentaries and the like. I'd love to know a bit more about it really. Soundtracks are a good way of getting into it I suppose, I take it you're familiar with the 'In The Mood For Love' soundtrack by Wong War Kai iirc which is quality.

"Beethoven. I think he's generally considered to be the best...yeah?"

On a serious note I think Moonlight Sonata is one of the best pieces of music ever composed.

I'm pretty clueless about it but I like minimal piano stuff like you get with Debussy and Satie (classed as modernist I think). I also really like Phillip Glass's : Solo Piano album which is, as the name suggests, in the same vein. You'll probably have heard all 3 at one time or another and the latter is occasionally used as background music on documentaries and the like. I'd love to know a bit more about it really. Soundtracks are a good way of getting into it I suppose, I take it you're familiar with the 'In The Mood For Love' soundtrack by Wong War Kai iirc which is quality.

I just got another Philip Glass produced album (already had Koyaanastakistikiastiki (sic)) that he did with Uktai. One of the tracks is used on the Nokia ad which compelled me to chase the full album.

I've often thought it would be hard to broaden my knowledge, but I don't know why I think like that way when I've already got hundreds of artists on Itunes that I know in depth. It'd only be a few more on the list.

I know I enjoyed it at the time, but I've got no recollection of the music on In The Mood For Love. Maybe it's time for another viewing.

Steve Reich's 'Different Trains' is canny good which is sort of minimal bordering on ambient. I got into him because The Orb sampled him for 'Little Fluffy Clouds'.

I've heard of all these people, the question is, where do you start with each of them?

Like I'm going to go through 155 CD's :blink: Make some changes sonna. :)

Get his 'Live in Moscow' recording- Bach in the USSR.

I've heard of all these people, the question is, where do you start with each of them?

Like I'm going to go through 155 CD's :) Make some changes sonna. :blink:

Get his 'Live in Moscow' recording- Bach in the USSR.

:)

:)

Like I'm going to go through 155 CD's :) Make some changes sonna. :)

:blink:

As you mentioned Yo Yo Ma: The cello suits

Brahms and Mendelsson-Bartholdy are two other favourites of mine.

Wim Mertens. Kronos Quartet. Gavin Bryars.

Kronos Quartet playing Thelonious Monk. :)

Not a big fan of Mertens, never heard of Bryars tbh. :blink:

Apart of my strange affection for Monk's modern Jazz I am not a big fan of modern (classical) music anyway but rather like my Baroque and Romantic period or traditional jazz.