Dunne's City talks put on hold

Craig

Manchester City have put contract talks with skipper Richard Dunne on hold until the end of the current campaign.

Dunne and his representatives have been in negotiations with City for the last few months as the club look to tie down the defender to a new long-term contract.

The Republic of Ireland international has just over a year to run on his contract, fuelling speculation over his future.

Newcastle are reported to be keen on Dunne and are monitoring developments at Eastlands regarding his contract.

Despite the talks being put on the back burner City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson remains confident of agreeing a new deal with Dunne.

"I really don't know where we are in terms of progress on Richard's contract but with six games to go I think it is more an end-of-season discussion," Eriksson told the club's official website.

"He has a contract for one more year so it is not a pressing problem. We don't want to lose him and I am quite sure he wants to stay here."

Source: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...3376574,00.html

I think he was branded a little bit clumsy and error prone early in his career and this tag hasn't left him although i personally think he has matured into a good reliable defender who would bleed for the cause - thumbs up all round then

No thank you.

Seriously? He'd be the best centre-back at the club.

By a country mile....... :blink:

Carry on playing with Gmail Custom TimeTM khay... :)

Ugly fucker but a class defender :blink:

Likes to block with his face apparently. :)

:)

You can guarantee we'd get 10'000 less people every match :)

Be great to play with taylor could teach him how to be better not alot would get past them, experience centre half is what we need and he fits the bill. unlikely to get him as appears man city rate him.

With Taylor???

Needs to be alongside Faye tbh.... Steven Taylor wants to make sure the door doesn't smack his arse on the way out....

Was Dunne at City at the same time as KK? Any special relationship notes?

He was on the brink of kicking him out of the club after he turned up to training drunk iirc, Dunne caught himself on and since then has changed from a joke to a top CB so Keegan has to take some of the credit for that.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...l=richard+dunne

soon after KK arrived I had a gut feeling Dunne would join but Man City were doing well back then =/ Maybe in the summer we put a cheeky few million on the table and hopefully he'd join. Just makes this end of season run we could put together all the more important, the more heads we can get turning, the better the quality of player that will join in the summer =)

OK, I would take him on a free but not sure we should be spending money on him.

Why not? I've never been his biggest fan but he's been one of the best CB's in the league this season

I think that's the point though Paul. I've always thought him a pretty average defender, but this has been a good season for him. I'd rather we looked elsewhere to be honest.

He is prone to the occasional error and he's not the quickest and he's also offensively ugly.

I think that's the point though Paul. I've always thought him a pretty average defender, but this has been a good season for him. I'd rather we looked elsewhere to be honest.

He is prone to the occasional error and he's not the quickest and he's also offensively ugly.

He's been playing like this for a few years now though, so to say just this season has been good for him is wrong iyam.

he's exactly the sort of no nonsense centre half we need. pacey and knows the premiership inside out. he's the sort of defender taylor should be but isn't. imagine him and faye at the back....a couple of big brutes that would scare the crap out of most forwards.

He's the sort of defender Taylor ideally would be. I wouldn't say he should be though as that suggests he's got the ability.