New coins revealed

Happy Face

The Queen's coat of arms is at the heart of the biggest changes to the British currency in 40 years which the Royal Mint will unveil tomorrow.

In pictures: The new coin designs are unveiled

Send in your designs for British coins

In pictures: The new coin designs are unveiled

The designs for the reverse of the coins, from the one pence piece to the pound, have been a closely guarded secret.

But the Telegraph has learnt that the new pound coin features the traditional shield design from the Royal coat of arms.

The lower-denomination coins will feature close-up details of the shield which, when fitted together, show the shield as a whole.

The sovereign's coat of arms has evolved over many years and reflects the history of the monarchy and country.

"In the design the shield shows the Royal emblems of different parts of the United Kingdom: the three lions of England in the first and fourth quarters, the lion of Scotland in the second and the harp of Ireland in the third.

The designs were devised after a public competition which attracted more than 4,000 entries. The Queen and Prime Minister endorsed the choice. One royal source told The Telegraph: "I think it is fair to say that we are quite satisfied with the new designs."

Buckingham Palace and Downing Street hope the use of the coat of arms will reassure traditionalists and supporters of the Union.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...01/ncoin101.xml

coins.jpg

one-penny.jpg

twenty-pence.jpg

Look mis-printed to me.

Isn't it because on the 20p the middle bit is lower so the designed is raised but it's the other way round on the outer bit? If that's what you're on about. It does look a bit weird like.

I just started getting used to the normal coins after 9 years, now a change :blink:

:)

9 years? WTF were you using before that Monopoly money?

The 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p (with the exception of a few limited edition 50ps over the years) haven't changed in design since they were first introduced. The £1 & £2 change each year...

Looks fucking awful to me, over modernised them - might as well have gone the whole hog and called it the Euro.

If this story had been released yesterday, i'd have called April Fool....

I just started getting used to the normal coins after 9 years, now a change :)

The 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p & 50p (with the exception of a few limited edition 50ps over the years) haven't changed in design since they were first introduced. The £1 & £2 change each year...

Looks fucking awful to me, over modernised them - might as well have gone the whole hog and called it the Euro.

Didn't live in this Country :blink:

I'm guessing a different national currency. :blink:

good point... :)

Well I suppose it's one way of preparing us for the aesthetic "qualities" of the euro.

The new £20 note is already basically a Euro for my money. If you look, the '£' sign is blatantly an 'E'. Thats just my two cents.

:blink:

Didn't live in this Country :)

Gemmill would be having one of his angina attacks.

They all look fucking horrible.

Everything bar the £ looks like a printing error and the pound looks valueless.

Then again with Browns tax rises on basic shizzle it nearly fucking is ::)

Well I suppose it's one way of preparing us for the aesthetic "qualities" of the euro.

The new £20 note is already basically a Euro for my money. If you look, the '£' sign is blatantly an 'E'. Thats just my two cents.

Is this really an appropriate dime for money jokes?

I'd already done one so I just thought in for a penny in for a pound.

I'd already done one so I just thought in for a penny in for a pound.

You dinar have to go that far, to be franc.

May only seem a minor thing but the dropping of the numerical display of the coin is an interesting point.

Easy for us to read 'Fifty Pence', 'Ten Pence', etc... but anyone visiting this country without a grasp of the language may have a problem....

Or is that half the reason? :)

May only seem a minor thing but the dropping of the numerical display of the coin is an interesting point.

Easy for us to read 'Fifty Pence', 'Ten Pence', etc... but anyone visiting this country without a grasp of the language may have a problem....

The penny drops!

The penny drops!

Jesus wept... :blink: