Top 50 highest earners

Jimbo

My biggest reaction is to be grateful that we didn't sign Campbell on that money!

Tbf if our goal difference was in the plus (or even not in the minus twenties*) I wouldn't be too bothered.

Yes, I know scoring goals has been just as big a problem this season, but still.

*had to check the table for that. According to .com we can still finish 6th! :)

My biggest reaction is to be grateful that we didn't sign Campbell on that money!

Tbf if our goal difference was in the plus (or even not in the minus twenties*) I wouldn't be too bothered.

Yes, I know scoring goals has been just as big a problem this season, but still.

*had to check the table for that. According to .com we can still finish 6th! :blink:

we applied for the intertoto yet then?

:)

Under the old managment, signing a player on that money WOULD have been an issue. Under Ashley, I doubt it is.. Our problem these is not the wage packet, its attracting someone to the club.

We may have to take a leaf out of Pompey's books on this one and sign a couple of players on big pay packets if we want to move up the table me thinks....

The Darren Bent wage just makes me think that list is a load of shit tbh.

Exactly, why would Spurs quadruple (approx) his wages when it was clear he was leaving any way and iirc there wasn't any competition for him.

The Darren Bent wage just makes me think that list is a load of shit tbh.

Exactly, why would Spurs quadruple (approx) his wages when it was clear he was leaving any way and iirc there wasn't any competition for him.

Yep there was no way they needed to offer him that much. Spurs don't pay those sort of wages anyway. I think Berbatov is only on something like £40k a week.

You'd expect it to be though wouldn't you?

I just mean they could still win the premiership and Champions league when Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Real, Inter, Barca etc all must have far higher wage bills.

You'd expect it to be though wouldn't you?

I just mean they could still win the premiership and Champions league when Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Real, Inter, Barca etc all must have far higher wage bills.

I think they were about 2nd or 3rd highest though. Chelsea were the highest then it was them and Man Utd about the same with Liverpool and us being some way behind. This was at least a year ago, I'll try and dig it out. The point being that although they tend to get youngsters on the cheap, they pay the going rate wages-wise to keep them there.

Here it is:

PREMIER LEAGUE'S TOP WAGE BILLS 2005/06

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

Source: Deloitte

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6705251.stm

It's a bit out of date, obviously.

As Ewerk says, I reckon Torres/Mascherano arriving & Henry leaving has brought them a lot closer in terms of wages, but Arsenal are still miles ahead on the pitch.

Here it is:

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

As Ewerk says, I reckon Torres/Mascherano arriving & Henry leaving has brought them a lot closer in terms of wages, but Arsenal are still miles ahead on the pitch.

I'm not arguing. It was more countering what you (and many) seem to assume, i.e. that "Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Real, Inter, Barca etc all must have far higher wage bills." Not trying to be smartarsed, they are amazing in terms of how they recruit, but you need to pay the big wages to keep them there once they have become established stars.

Here it is:

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

I'm not arguing. It was more countering what you (and many) seem to assume, i.e. that "Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Real, Inter, Barca etc all must have far higher wage bills." Not trying to be smartarsed, they are amazing in terms of how they recruit, but you need to pay the big wages to keep them there once they have become established stars.

Aye.

I know the validity of the list has been questioned, but if Steven Taylor got what he's asking for he'd be pretty close to Arsenal's top earners. :)

I think a lot of people probably even think we pay more in terms of wages just because we've paid more in transfers in recent years. If we really want to be a top four side we'll have to match that aspect too. And surely Taylor will be one of Arsenal's top earners soon anyway.

Here it is:

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

tbf Mascherano was already at Liverpool when those figures were produced and given the odd deal he was on, it's fair to assume that they were already paying 100% of his wages.

I'm guessing Torres & Henry's salaries cancel each other out. Apart from that the only movers I can recall at Liverpool was Voronin in and Bellamy out (Bellamy likely to have been on a higher wage than Voronin IMO).

Here it is:

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

tbf Mascherano was already at Liverpool when those figures were produced and given the odd deal he was on, it's fair to assume that they were already paying 100% of his wages.

I'm guessing Torres & Henry's salaries cancel each other out. Apart from that the only movers I can recall at Liverpool was Voronin in and Bellamy out (Bellamy likely to have been on a higher wage than Voronin IMO).

Jan 07 when Mascherano moved wasn't it?

Here it is:

Chelsea - £114m

Manchester Utd - £85m

Arsenal - £83m

Liverpool - £69m

Newcastle Utd - £52m

Jan 07 when Mascherano moved wasn't it?

Yep - sorry I was going by the article date, not the actual date of the reference figures....

Forgive my ignorance, but what happened in Ital in 01?

_42988985_wage_costs416x359.gif

Collapse of the TV deal perhaps? Sure I remember something like that happening.

Not sure but wasn't that the big clampdown on wages having to be below a certain ratio of revenue (which saw Fiorentina forced into Serie C or whatever)?

Forgive my ignorance, but what happened in Ital in 01?

_42988985_wage_costs416x359.gif

Collapse of the TV deal perhaps? Sure I remember something like that happening.

Channel 4 weren't paying that much were they?

:)