Toon Army The Loudest I've Ever Heard - Doyle

khay

READING striker Kevin Doyle has revealed that the Toon Army are the loudest set of supporters he has ever played in front of.

The Irish frontman was part of the Royals side which was beaten 3-2 at St.James' Park last season when Turkish midfielder Emre fired the Magpies winner six minutes from time.

And, with 52,000 Geordies again set to fill St.James' this weekend, Doyle is anticipating another noisy affair.

"It's the place where I've heard the most noise when anyone scored. It was deafening last season," said the 24-year-old.

"We were winning and the place was quiet and I thought it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and then they scored and I just remember it being the loudest it has ever been in any stadium - definitely more than Croke Park. You could not hear yourself think.

"It was a wall of noise and was strange because we were playing well and it had been quiet. The way the stadium is designed makes the crowd sound louder.

"I suppose if you are out on the touchline about to take a thrown-in or a corner you will get a bit more abuse, but when you are playing you don't really notice it.

"It doesn't put you off and the Geordies aren't nasty, but it was just scary that it could go from quiet to a wall of noise. All the lads said the same thing.

And Doyle admits the Royals are expecting a tough test given United's recent turnaround in fortunes.

"They have their tails up now and they all seem happy again having come into some form," he added.

"The pressure is off them a bit now, but that might be a good thing. They are three points ahead of us and one more win means they will be safe.

"I don't know if that will make them relax and play better, but we will be up for it.

"People always say they are not the strongest defensively, but when you win 4-1 like they did against Tottenham it doesn't matter how your defence plays.

"They are more into attacking football and showing what they can do going forward. They hadn't been doing that for a while, but have got that back now after Sunday."

Think someone is trying to get a move away?

Tbf, it makes sense to say all the right things about your opposition in the lead up to games. Keegan always does it.

READING striker Kevin Doyle has revealed that the Toon Army are the loudest set of supporters he has ever played in front of.

The Irish frontman was part of the Royals side which was beaten 3-2 at St.James' Park last season when Turkish midfielder Emre fired the Magpies winner six minutes from time.

And, with 52,000 Geordies again set to fill St.James' this weekend, Doyle is anticipating another noisy affair.

"It's the place where I've heard the most noise when anyone scored. It was deafening last season," said the 24-year-old.

"We were winning and the place was quiet and I thought it wasn't all it was cracked up to be and then they scored and I just remember it being the loudest it has ever been in any stadium - definitely more than Croke Park. You could not hear yourself think.

"It was a wall of noise and was strange because we were playing well and it had been quiet. The way the stadium is designed makes the crowd sound louder.

"I suppose if you are out on the touchline about to take a thrown-in or a corner you will get a bit more abuse, but when you are playing you don't really notice it.

"It doesn't put you off and the Geordies aren't nasty, but it was just scary that it could go from quiet to a wall of noise. All the lads said the same thing.

And Doyle admits the Royals are expecting a tough test given United's recent turnaround in fortunes.

"They have their tails up now and they all seem happy again having come into some form," he added.

"The pressure is off them a bit now, but that might be a good thing. They are three points ahead of us and one more win means they will be safe.

"I don't know if that will make them relax and play better, but we will be up for it.

"People always say they are not the strongest defensively, but when you win 4-1 like they did against Tottenham it doesn't matter how your defence plays.

"They are more into attacking football and showing what they can do going forward. They hadn't been doing that for a while, but have got that back now after Sunday."

Think someone is trying to get a move away?

quite a decent lively player too, from what I've seen of him, which isn't much. I missed the Reading game last season.