Charlton Heston

Isegrim

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been dead from the neck up ever since he became the mouth piece for gun lobbyists.

RIP, human.

Maybe he just had been to the future and didn't like what he saw.

However much of a tit he might've been, it's a bit harsh of the independednt to use this pic in his obituary...

It is pretty funny how his other very "liberal" political stuff (and indeed support for early gun control) doesn't get mentioned much if at all now.

He rather doomed himself in his media portrayal though by moving against Politically Correct dogma in the 80's.

I think there's more than a bit of truth in his "Political correctness is tyranny with manners", something that earnt him the undying hatred of the PCer than thou crowd - nothing provokes hatred more than the truth, no matter the source. (as can probably be seen in this very thread in fact :lol:)

However much of a tit he might've been, it's a bit harsh of the independednt to use this pic in his obituary...

It is pretty funny how his other very "liberal" political stuff (and indeed support for early gun control) doesn't get mentioned much if at all now.

He rather doomed himself in his media portrayal though by moving against Politically Correct dogma in the 80's.

I think there's more than a bit of truth in his "Political correctness is tyranny with manners", something that earnt him the undying hatred of the PCer than thou crowd - nothing provokes hatred more than the truth, no matter the source. (as can probably be seen in this very thread in fact :lol:)

His support of Ragan and Bush (both) and his opposition to abortion are what I don't like about him. I've no qualms with anyones political incorrectness if they aren't talking shite.

His support of Ragan and Bush (both) and his opposition to abortion are what I don't like about him. I've no qualms with anyones political incorrectness if they aren't talking shite.

Quoted for truth.

Hs reputation took a hammering after he got stitched up properly by Michael Moore in Bowling For Columbine (he wasn't at the NRA meeting soon after the tragedy, which only took place as it was legally required to because it had been scheduled for ages. The 'cold dead hands' speech was from another conference altogether).

Not that I agree with his politics or his views on guns and abortion, but that film seems to have shaped a lot of people's opinion of him undeservedly.

RIP.

Now that his hands are indeed dead and cold does that mean we can have his rifle now?

dodn't know if that was too soon..... clearly not :lol:

Well it wasn't really that he was or wanted to be "politically incorrect" (although this does show how well and completely they won the media war over his perception really), as I said look at his strong support for political causes through the 50's, 60's and 70's, very "liberal" for the USA, especially in those times.

More that I think he woke up pretty early to the way politically correct dogma was being used and the direction it was been taken and decided to take a stand (which rather fucked him up media-wise as he was always going to be painted as "the debil" after that, even if prior to that he'd been rather a darling of US liberalism).

Quoted for truth.

Or in fact just shows how effective and easy such propaganda is I'm afraid. :(

Well it wasn't really that he was or wanted to be "politically incorrect" (although this does show how well and completely they won the media war over his perception really), as I said look at his strong support for political causes through the 50's, 60's and 70's, very "liberal" for the USA, especially in those times.

More that I think he woke up pretty early to the way politically correct dogma was being used and the direction it was been taken and decided to take a stand (which rather fucked him up media-wise as he was always going to be painted as "the debil" after that, even if prior to that he'd been rather a darling of US liberalism).

It doesn't matter how liberal he was or was not. If he's saying "I want guns for everyone, black or white" he's a dick. If he's opposed to rape victims having a legal abortion he's a dick. Just because he took his time to face up to being a dick, and he might be liberal on one or 2 issues, it doesn't mean he's been demonised.

Aye, Michael Moore is a twat too. I'm not aware of any media war on Heston, but he certainly got hammered in that round.

Touch of Evil is class.