"while I'm here".....(Owen)

Asprilla

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/4280556.stm

Owen wants to justify price tag

Newcastle 1-0 Man City

Michael Owen has underlined his determination to justify Newcastle's £17m investment in him following his first Magpies goal at St James' Park.

Former Real Madrid striker Owen scored the winner against Manchester City, taking Newcastle's points tally to seven in his three games to date.

The 25-year-old told the club website: "When you spend a lot of money on a player you expect results.

"I am confident of proving my worth and scoring goals while I am here."

He added: "As a striker, you always want to get off the mark and having done that at Blackburn the next thing was to score at home.

"I'm hoping that is going to happen a few more times."

Owen conceded that his arrival had increased expectations at St James' Park.

"Everyone wanted three points on my debut and that didn't happen but seven points from three games isn't bad, " he stated.

"I am pleased with that and am looking forward to the rest of the season."

My paranoia or Freudian slip? :lol:

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

If he keeps playing well and scoring goals, the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU will be under a lot of pressure to buy him, not least from the media who must still be gutted he came to Newcastle in the first place and didn't end up at one of their beloved teams.

There's nothing wrong with him saying that, by any stretch of the imagination these days players don't expect to stay at one club forever any more.

If things go well enough i think he'll be happy to see out his contract here, if they don't he'll be more than entitled to look to bigger clubs.

If Henry is off Arsenal are bound to be interested. Can't see ManU or Chelsea accomodating him. Then there is his beloved Liverpool if they can raise the cash...

38659[/snapback]

I dont think Owen is a good enough alround player to take the place of Henry. I don't think Wenger would be too intrested.

I sincerly doubt that Liverpool will be any keener paying £17 million or thereabouts at the end of this season than they were at the beginning of it.

And I would like to think that we wouldn't let him go for less than we paid for him, especially if he has a good season, but with our lot you never know!

It'll be harder next time if Liverpool make an offer of say £12m.

As Real wanted rid, it was a simple case of selling to the highest bidder. We all know though, that in this day and age, once a player wants to go, there's not much anyone can really do about it.

Our hand could well be forced next year. Lets just hope he falls in love with the place!

I've had this fear since the day he was unveiled at SJP. What was it he said? Something like "I hope you get to enjoy seeing me play for 4 years". That immediatey made me think there must be some 'condtions' for him staying more than one season...

Some other selected lines from the latest chat to the BBC which stand out to me are:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't here this time next season - but I desperately want him to be so. Anyone else wonder if a deal has been struck with Liverpool allowing them to take him off our hands in 12 months time in exchange for another player? It'd explain Michael's apparent change of heart. He's also made a big 'thing' of it being an honour to play alongside Shearer in his last season. No real mention of being the next big thing here after Big Al retires...

Christ on a bike tbh

Who cares? hes here, hes scoring goals and hes happy enough. I for one cant see past the next game and dont care whats happening next season, we're half a dozen games into this season and have finally started to get moving, we're suddenly in the top half of the table and at least can now say we're the top team in the North East.

Forget the paranoia, forget spending our time questioing his motives or loyalties, hes here, in black n white and appears to be enjoying it so lets just enjoy it ourselves for however long it lasts.

I've had this fear since the day he was unveiled at SJP. What was it he said? Something like "I hope you get to enjoy seeing me play for 4 years". That immediatey made me think there must be some 'condtions' for him staying more than one season...

Some other selected lines from the latest chat to the BBC which stand out to me are:

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't here this time next season - but I desperately want him to be so. Anyone else wonder if a deal has been struck with Liverpool allowing them to take him off our hands in 12 months time in exchange for another player? It'd explain Michael's apparent change of heart. He's also made a big 'thing' of it being an honour to play alongside Shearer in his last season. No real mention of being the next big thing here after Big Al retires...

38825[/snapback]

:lol:

Craig the quotes you've selected are such run of the mill quotes. I find it hilarious that you're reading stuff into it. ;):razz:

"Oooooo 'a few more times' eh? Why didn't he say 'for the rest of my career'?? Or 'a few HUNDRED more times'??? I see what you're up to Meester Owennnnn."

"'The rest of the season'????? And what about 5 years from now eh? No mention of that! I don't trust him - it's something about his eyes....."

Edited by Gemmill

38825[/snapback]

;)

Craig the quotes you've selected are such run of the mill quotes. I find it hilarious that you're reading stuff into it. ;):dork:

"Oooooo 'a few more times' eh? Why didn't he say 'for the rest of my career'?? Or 'a few HUNDRED more times'??? I see what you're up to Meester Owennnnn."

"'The rest of the season'????? And what about 5 years from now eh? No mention of that! I don't trust him - it's something about his eyes....."

38853[/snapback]

:lol:

Completely agree with you, and Peasepud to be honest. Not sure why our fans are constantly thinking things like this.....

tbh

It's a worry I've had since day one. Dunno why, it's just a nagging doubt.

It's something which I thought was 'just me' until someone else brought it up.

i've got to admit, it's the first thing i thought when i read the piece too.

if owen has a class season and world cup and liverpool or another big club offer what we paid for him, it will be hard to stop him leaving if he wanted out.

but who knows. if we can turn our season around and claim a top 4 spot, maybe he'll stay.

i'm just going to enjoy the fact we've got england's number 1 striker, even if it is only for one season

Christ on a bike tbh

Who cares? hes here, hes scoring goals and hes happy enough. I for one cant see past the next game and dont care whats happening next season, we're half a dozen games into this season and have finally started to get moving, we're suddenly in the top half of the table and at least can now say we're the top team in the North East.

Forget the paranoia, forget spending our time questioing his motives or loyalties, hes here, in black n white and appears to be enjoying it so lets just enjoy it ourselves for however long it lasts.

38826[/snapback]

Thats my attitude too - obviously lost on A.F. (who seemed to have problems - someone put it in single syllables for him. I cant be bothered ;) )

Thats my attitude too - obviously lost on A.F. (who seemed to have problems - someone put it in single syllables for him. I cant be bothered :dork: )

39184[/snapback]

Cheers for the unprovoked attack numbnuts.

What's the "K" stand for Phil? Cocksucker? ;)