The Greatest Europen Player You've Seen?

Tooj

Pele did nothing in Europe where it really matters so its difficult to call him the best of all time.

Put Best in the Brazilian team and reporters would've been creaming their pants and calling him the greatest player of all time.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maradona is the most entertaining player of all time, as a player and personality. He got offered $100 million for his image rights if he'd change his nationality to Italian, he told them to fuck off. He's absolutely barmy and considers himself a revolutionary, compare that to the likes of Michael Owen, you'd struggle to conceive of a duller bloke.

Pele did nothing in Europe where it really matters so its difficult to call him the best of all time.

Put Best in the Brazilian team and reporters would've been creaming their pants and calling him the greatest player of all time.

Apart from win world cups like.

Brazil had a George Best in Garrincha before George Best came along. He was fucking phenomenal. He wasn't Pele though. It is another level whichever way you look at it, it's one of the few settled arguments in football iyam.

Harsh on Pele. He won a World Cup in Europe aged 17, his Santos team also won two Copa Libertadores and Inter-Continental trophies (effectively the world club championship at the time) and probably would have won a lot more were it not for financial constraints (they stopped playing in the CL and became the Harlem Globetrotters).

The Brazilian league was on the of the best in the world at the time though. Plus more often than not whenever Santos played the bigger European teams in Pele's peak, they didn't just beat them, they annihilated them.

Maradona is the most entertaining player of all time, as a player and personality. He got offered $100 million for his image rights if he'd change his nationality to Italian, he told them to fuck off. He's absolutely barmy and considers himself a revolutionary, compare that to the likes of Michael Owen, you'd struggle to conceive of a duller bloke.

One of his best mates was Fidel Castro and when he was at Napoli all of his Neopolitan mates were mafia bosses. He was nee David Platt, and no one from this current generation of players will usurp him including Messi. Zidane, Matthaus or Gullit greatest European players ever, all for slightly different reasons.

One of his best mates was Fidel Castro and when he was at Napoli all of his Neopolitan mates were mafia bosses. He was nee David Platt, and no one from this current generation of players will usurp him including Messi. Zidane, Matthaus or Gullit greatest European players ever, all for slightly different reasons.

Likes a bit of Chavez as well.

Come on, I'm not saying he wasn't a bad player at all but his WC wins were in brilliant teams.

My point is that Cruyff and especially Beckenbauer did it where it matters playing against the best week in, week out. Pele should've come to Spain at least and then I might have a different opinion.

Come on, I'm not saying he wasn't a bad player at all but his WC wins were in brilliant teams.

My point is that Cruyff and especially Beckenbauer did it where it matters playing against the best week in, week out. Pele should've come to Spain at least and then I might have a different opinion.

Were the Dutch/Spanish/German leagues that Cruyff and Beckenbauer played in as good as the Brazilian league that Pele played in?

He'd have got kicked to pieces. Have you not seen Escape to Victory man?

Not sure if it's an urban myth but Stallone is meant to have challenged him to a penalty shoot out. Pele scored all his and saved all of Stallone's. That seals the deal for me.

Were the Dutch/Spanish/German leagues that Cruyff and Beckenbauer played in as good as the Brazilian league that Pele played in?

In my opinion, yes.

Not sure if it's an urban myth but Stallone is meant to have challenged him to a penalty shoot out. Pele scored all his and saved all of Stallone's. That seals the deal for me.

You also have to remember that Pele was well past his peak by then whereas Stallone went on to retain the World Heavyweight Belt 5 times.

You also have to remember that Pele was well past his peak by then whereas Stallone went on to retain the World Heavyweight Belt 5 times.

:lol: Good point that. And Max Von Sydow was never the same after he contracted the plague.

Lots of drug tests were simple swept under the carpet for Diego.

He reckons he first got into the crack at Barcelona, somehow I think it may have been the late night parties at Mafia condos that swung the needle to full on addiction he was probably just trying to swing the blame a bit, besides Barcelona supposedly detested him to it may have merely been a riposte.

:lol: Good point that. And Max Von Sydow was never the same after he contracted the plague.

John Wark looked like he'd contracted plague during filming.

Lots of drug tests were simple swept under the carpet for Diego.

He reckons he first got into the crack at Barcelona, somehow I think it may have been the late night parties at Mafia condos that swung the needle to full on addiction he was probably just trying to swing the blame a bit, besides Barcelona supposedly detested him to it may have merely been a riposte.

I've read he didn't get into before Napoli. I find that difficult to believe like (especially coming from an Argentinian charva).

John Wark looked like he'd contracted plague during filming.

What was it with all the Ipswich players btw?

I remember the 1970 world cup and the great Brazil team with Pele as its star, 1974 is really vivid memory for me and Cruyff was the star man, I was on a school trip in Brittany and we had a field trip to some town or other, I played ill and went into the town to watch Holland and especially Cruyff play in the world cup on a tele in a cafe needless to say I got a bollocking and threatened to be sent home.

Cruyff was absolutely brilliant great pace, vision, balance and a tad arrogant, not bad considering he was on 40 tabs a day!!