Twitter

JawD

Twitter has two functions.

1) track celebrities of note or of interest. (Fry, Gorman, Brand et al)

2) post inane shit that's happening in your own life.

the trouble with Twitter is that if you've got a lot of interesting things to share; if your mind takes a wander into actually intriguing places, it's ace, if you're just twittering "I'm bored" then it's a waste of your time.

If your first few twitters are just "I don't know what sandwich to have" "I chose Ham and cheese", "I wish I'd had a bacon sandwich instead"... I'd advise you to delete your account.

Theres the odd thread like that on NO so i guess i dont need it.

the trouble with Twitter is that if you've got a lot of interesting things to share; if your mind takes a wander into actually intriguing places, it's ace, if you're just twittering "I'm bored" then it's a waste of your time.

If your first few twitters are just "I don't know what sandwich to have" "I chose Ham and cheese", "I wish I'd had a bacon sandwich instead"... I'd advise you to delete your account.

Id pretty much agree. The tracking of "celebs" is a bit crap tbh, though the musings of Stephen Fry can be quite funny (I d/l his podcasts as well).

What the difference between saying on an internet forum "good stuff on tv tonight", "just watched this film", "listening to this music" and posting the same on Twitter?

Id pretty much agree. The tracking of "celebs" is a bit crap tbh, though the musings of Stephen Fry can be quite funny (I d/l his podcasts as well).

What the difference between saying on an internet forum "good stuff on tv tonight", "just watched this film", "listening to this music" and posting the same on Twitter?

Dialogue?

I'm just guessing by clicking on your link mind, do you get something else if you sign up?

Dialogue?

I'm just guessing by clicking on your link mind, do you get something else if you sign up?

Dialogue is the same on a forum really? You reply directly to people by adding @ infront of their name. Bit like if you quote on a forum.

I don't get it. I didn't get facebook either like. :o

Dirk Diggler can't wait to get home and have a Gregg's pastie for his tea.

What can you possibly not like/get about such enthralling statements????

:o

Dialogue?

Dialogue is the same on a forum really? You reply directly to people by adding @ infront of their name. Bit like if you quote on a forum.

I can't agree with that. The "dialogue" on Twitter is restricted to 140 characters, the layout doesn't lend itself to discourse and the subject matter is generally lightweight by necessity; you can't begin an holistic discussion of society when your diatribe is interrupted by someone twittering the colour of their bowel movement.

Dialogue?

I can't agree with that. The "dialogue" on Twitter is restricted to 140 characters, the layout doesn't lend itself to discourse and the subject matter is generally lightweight by necessity; you can't begin an holistic discussion of society when your diatribe is interrupted by someone twittering the colour of their bowel movement.

Some might consider that an appealing feature. :o

Dialogue?

Yeah, and the subject matter on here is always high brow http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=23810

And the posts are always long and detailed discussion:

being the most popular reply.

Or how about a selection of long, informed discussion points :

a) take wacky, Every bloke likes to fuck his missus up the ass.

:o I think I'd probably get stoned.

etc

Lets be honest, seldom any net forum, twitter, facebook or whatever is used for prolonged meaningful discussion, but mostly a source of mild amusement and time wasting.

Well aye, but it's got the ability to become a discussion, Twitter does not have that flexibility.

Dont get me wrong, twitter is in no way as good as a forum for a discussion. you can however use it for that if you wish. I simply use twitter on my mobile, so when Im not at my PC. While I dont use a forum from my mobile. End of the day, its still using the internet as a medium for communication :o

One thing that Twitter really is good for is businesses or websites who want to provide real time help. (Companies who just want to spam people about new products needn't bother.)

You can do a quick search to see who's talking about you, your products or your competition. If they're saying something bad about you you can see what help they want. If they're slagging off the opposition you can butt in and try to steal a customer. It also gives customers a direct way to access you.

One thing I've always wondered about the celebs, how do you always know it's them? I know a few that are (mainly by them posting pictures of themselves with a piece of paper saying something like 'I'm on Twitter') but there are many more who don't post things like this and are being followed by loads. To hear what a PR person has to say?

Dialogue?

Yeah, and the subject matter on here is always high brow http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=23810

And the posts are always long and detailed discussion:

being the most popular reply.

Or how about a selection of long, informed discussion points :

a) take wacky, Every bloke likes to fuck his missus up the ass.

:o I think I'd probably get stoned.

etc

Lets be honest, seldom any net forum, twitter, facebook or whatever is used for prolonged meaningful discussion, but mostly a source of mild amusement and time wasting.

:o:o

Twitter should be called - 'we stole the 'status' bit of facebook turned it into our own site!'

Its changed mind, when it first came out it used to send text updates to your mobile (didnt cost owt). So if you sent someone a message, it was a bit like sending a free text. But, they took that function away after problems with the mobile networks iirc.