Twitter

JawD

The layout of twitter seems to have changed over the last 24 hours yet I cant seem to find anything on google regarding this.

Has it changed for everyone else or have I pressed something wrong???

Aye the online version has changed.

The layout of twitter seems to have changed over the last 24 hours yet I cant seem to find anything on google regarding this.

As opposed to the paper copy?

As opposed to the paper copy?

:razz: Ok then, the web browser version has changed.

• 5 months later...

Twitter has warned the owner of an account spoofing a newspaper executive that they are to reveal his identity to the company.

Northcliffe Media, which is owned by the Daily Mail Group, issued a subpoena to the social network through a Californian court.

The account, @UnSteveDorkland, is a "parody" of Northcliffe's chief executive Steve Auckland.

The company said the tweets were "obsessive and offensive".

"I can confirm we have taken action to ask Twitter for help in identifying the individual in order to protect our staff from harassment," Mr Auckland said in a statement.

"We made no request for, nor had any input in, a decision to stop tweeting. Our first priority is a duty of care to all of our employees."

However, speaking anonymously to the BBC, the account's owner disputed the claims of harassment.

"People can make their own judgement," he said.

"I've not taken anything down. It's all in the public domain, I've not touched them at all."

The order means Twitter must give up all identifying information it has on the account holder.

In an email seen by the BBC, the social network advised the account holder that he could seek the help of the campaign group the Electronic Frontier Foundation or the American Civil Liberties Union.

Legal advice

The subpoena was first published on the Guido Fawkes blog earlier this week.

In a follow-up post on Wednesday, the blog made public an email sent by Twitter in which it warned the account holder that "Twitter is obligated to respond to lawful process and will do so on August 1, 2012, absent the filing of a motion to quash".

The account holder told the BBC that he did not have the means to hire a lawyer in the US, and so therefore is not currently planning to fight the order.

"What I need at the minute is a very good pro-bono California lawyer," he said.

"As it stands, they'll hand over my details."

He dismissed claims that he was being fed information by employees at the company.

"Not one tweet is fed by anything other than my imagination and knowledge of the company," he told the BBC.

"I got lucky on a couple of guesses. I am uncontrolled by them, I am unmonitorable by them."

However, he added that since investigations had been taking place at the company sources had been keeping him up-to-date on its progress.

'Offensive nature'

The account, which was originally called @Northcliffestev, often criticised decisions made by the real Mr Auckland in his role at Northcliffe.

However, a source at the newspaper group insisted that this was not the motivation behind the legal action.

"Steve is a very open guy. The idea that he would gag someone just for being critical is just not credible - it was the offensive nature of the tweets."

Media lawyer David Allen Green, from Preiskel & Co, told the BBC that disclosure orders such as this should "not be granted lightly by any court".

"It is important that the court granted this order for a good and compelling legal reason and that the court also had appropriate regard to the right of free expression."

"Parody and pseudonymous Twitter accounts are often useful or entertaining. To gain a disclosure order can in effect bring such accounts to an end," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18990253

So he's not claiming to be the bloke, making it clear to anyone reading he is not the bloke, not saying anything libelous...and they're still gonna shop him for?

Satire is deed.

They did that to the Peter Molydeux account for a bit, its really just twitter covering their own backs, the real molyneux had enough of a sense of humour not to complain though, don't think these folks do

• 5 months later...

Gets on my tits sometimes. The amount of attention seeking that goes on is nobodies business. You could argue that, that's the point of it, to share views, but to me much of it is contrived rather than something they'd say in real life. I've even seen people delete their tweets, and leave what they regard to be the best ones so their profile looks better. Fuckin geordies. People get a few followers and they think they're fuckin Mick Jagger in the celebrity stakes. I like it don't get me wrong, but fake people trying to be people they aren't everywhere on it, and sadly a lack of people with reasonable knowledge about NUFC and our city's culture. If twitter is anything to go by 80% of our supporters are clueless, have no depth of knowledge, and are cringeworthy at all ages. Aside from personal friends, there's about 50 people I follow aged between 32 and 38 who are good crack and knowledgable the rest man, many of them have to be seen to be believed.

Edited by McFaul

See ive been on it for years, (hence I started this thread). So I have a good collection of people who share stuff I like. Photography, music & nufc being the main. I dont go looking for loads of new followers and I regularly delete people I do as if I dont talk to them I dont see the point? Twitter has changed since I first started using it (after its popularity explosion I guess). The worst kind imo are those who cry/beg for new followers. Personally I don't see the point. I've actually had people ask why I stopped folllowing them. Yet we never spoke once! My response to that is always "ask yourself". As thats the whole point isnt it? Follow and be followed by people that share interest. If people dont fit in to that then get rid as whats the point?

Twitter is pretty much a one way thing for me. I use it for football news, a bit of music news and stuff on motorbikes. I retweet the interesting stuff. I rarely post much myself and I couldn't give a flying fuck how many followers I get

I'm not 32 you cheeky shite. ;)

:lol: The likes of yourself, Nick, Besty etc. some of your mates too like the kid Bully..all provide something, but half the kids in their 20s I just shake my head. They're not interested in talking about anything in depth. There's one account, on a daily basis it's like a fuckin parody but it's a real person, and there's a few like it.

Edited by McFaul

I use it to hear other opinions and get news. Not to bludgeon others with my opinion and abuse opponents. The joy of it is you don't have to follow any doylums.

:lol:

See ive been on it for years, (hence I started this thread). So I have a good collection of people who share stuff I like. Photography, music & nufc being the main. I dont go looking for loads of new followers and I regularly delete people I do as if I dont talk to them I dont see the point? Twitter has changed since I first started using it (after its popularity explosion I guess). The worst kind imo are those who cry/beg for new followers. Personally I don't see the point. I've actually had people ask why I stopped folllowing them. Yet we never spoke once! My response to that is always "ask yourself". As thats the whole point isnt it? Follow and be followed by people that share interest. If people dont fit in to that then get rid as whats the point?

It's interesting when you know people or have met them, often really good people in life, they get twitter and well I'm shaking my head writing it. Why people would say things they'd never say in real life baffles me, and exposes people as fake imo.

I never add anyone really unless I know them, or they've been really good crack. I've got too many followers, most people want as wide an audience as possible and take pride in the amount of followers they have, I don't, if the 250 people I follow were the only ones who followed me I'd be happy. I know fine well my twitter is stalked by a variety of people, even ex work mates I haven't seen for years, brother in laws, all manner of cunts really.

Twitter is pretty much a one way thing for me. I use it for football news, a bit of music news and stuff on motorbikes. I retweet the interesting stuff. I rarely post much myself and I couldn't give a flying fuck how many followers I get

Having more followers means more doilums trust me. Little divvies 25 years of age telling me to get behind Ashley. The type of fan that gets on my tits the most on twitter is the "get behind the lads" brigade, who turn in to a cyber Ivan Drago when you criticise any aspect of the club. When the toon are shit, you should say so or you fall in to a trap where anything is good enough. No other club in the world with our support would be so accepting of mediocrity. Ray Ranson was right in his book, in the early 90's when the toon had played cowardly in the previous game, they'd get booed ON, the next game, changed big time now though.

It's interesting when you know people or have met them, often really good people in life, they get twitter and well I'm shaking my head writing it. Why people would say things they'd never say in real life baffles me, and exposes people as fake imo.

I never add anyone really unless I know them, or they've been really good crack. I've got too many followers, most people want as wide an audience as possible and take pride in the amount of followers they have, I don't, if the 250 people I follow were the only ones who followed me I'd be happy. I know fine well my twitter is stalked by a variety of people, even ex work mates I haven't seen for years, brother in laws, all manner of cunts really.

That's why I prune who i follow. I can't keep up with that I have let alone get more. Before i add anyone I usually read their posts and see if I think I could have a laugh with them or id at least talk to them. Sadly I'm as boring Irl as I am on twitter. Playing music, amusing myself with my own humour and moaning about my kids trashing my head ;)

Block them.

People who don't have twitter man. I seen a kid I haven't seen for 10 years at the last home game, used to play for a Sunday team I played for "how Stevie is that yee leazeslad on twitter you've never changed." Makes you all paranoid, that's why I've pulled my pictures down too.