New music

Toonraider

If your thinking of anything only one name to mention.

Sufjan Stevens - Come on feel the Illnoise.

39227[/snapback]

I've heard some good things about this. What's it like? Soundwise I mean.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to describe.  Possibly saying a mix between Sigur Ros & Arcade Fire.

39242[/snapback]

Aye, all the reviews are good but they seem unable to describe it. Might give it a go like.

My 2005 (or end of 2004) top 10 in no particular order...

Sleater Kinney - The woods - All female Heavy guitar rock that's toe tappingly pop like. Sort of White Stripes Vs Metallica. Fave Track - What's Mine Is Yours

System of a Down - Mezmerize - It's a travesty that they get lumped in with all the other shit Nu-metal. Produced by Rick Rubin whose level of output is never less than outstanding. Even better than Toxicity. Fave Track - Revenga

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise - Acoustic guitars, banjos, piano and horns combined joyously. The track titles alone would give it classic status, the music just backs it up. Fave Track - The Black Hawk War, Or, How To Demolish An Entire Civilization And Still Feel Good About Yourself In The Morning, Or, We Apologize For The Inconvenience But You're Gonna Have To Leave Now, Or, 'I Have Fought The Big Knives And Will Continue To Fight..

Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow - Moved on from just him and his guitar to a more glossy, extravagant production than normal. Still brilliant, I just preferred Rejoicing In The Hands. Fave Track - I Feel Like a Child

DJ Format - If You Can't Join 'Em... Beat 'Em - Nothing original, just good party rap. Fave Track - Separated At Birth

Camille - Le Fil - French Vocal pops and clicks backed by a monotone note (and some other stuff). Fave Track - Ta Douler.

The Boy Least Likely to - The Best Party Ever - It's a nice album but not in the coldplay dull sense (I like coldplay so don't get me wrong, they just tow the line slightly) it's just lovely and nice and childish but never dull. Fave Track - Monsters

Anthony And The Johnsons - I Am a Bird Now - Piano, Drums and one of the strangest singing voices you'll hear with the odd violin or double bass thrown in. I've spoiled it for myself by listening to it too much, but I couldn't stop. It's heartbreaking, depressing, moving, uplifting, stirring, inspiring and weird. Fave Track - For Today I Am A Boy

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production Of Eggs - His voice reminds me of someone but I can't for the life of me remember who, in fact I thought he'd stolen most of his tracks (Oasis style) but I can't place where I previously heard them. Instantly familiar but never boring. Fave Track - A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left

My two pence:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

anima - anima

Supergrass - Road to rouen (the latest is different to the norm but all their stuff is good).

Sigur Ros - Talk (again their latest but all is worth listening to).

Elbow - any of their releases.

Doves - any.

If you want moody:

toshack highway

Godspeed you! Black Emperor

Tortise

mum

explosions in the sky

catpower

If you want something different:

sigmatropic - George Seferis' haiku poetry set to music, a lot cooler than it sounds!

nouvelle vague - 80's indie covers reworked as bossa nova versions (includes love will tear us apart, just can't get enough, etc).

love outside andromeda - australian band with the nastiest lyrics, sung by a woman with the sweetest voice.

Yatsura - scottish band sort of jesus and mary chain meets pavement.

dios malos - a low key californian band doing amazing songs.

Lastly with your Josh obsession have you heard kyuss his band before queens? Sort of hair metal meets detuned stoner rock.

My two pence:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

anima - anima

Supergrass - Road to rouen (the latest is different to the norm but all their stuff is good).

Sigur Ros - Talk (again their latest but all is worth listening to).

Elbow - any of their releases.

Doves - any.

If you want moody:

toshack highway

Godspeed you! Black Emperor

Tortise

mum

explosions in the sky

catpower

If you want something different:

sigmatropic - George Seferis' haiku poetry set to music, a lot cooler than it sounds!

nouvelle vague - 80's indie covers reworked as bossa nova versions (includes love will tear us apart, just can't get enough, etc).

love outside andromeda - australian band with the nastiest lyrics, sung by a woman with the sweetest voice.

Yatsura - scottish band sort of jesus and mary chain meets pavement.

dios malos - a low key californian band doing amazing songs.

Lastly with your Josh obsession have you heard kyuss his band before queens? Sort of hair metal meets detuned stoner rock.

39401[/snapback]

yeah ive got Kyuss, also got some good desert sessions stuff josh did, im a massive josh fan :dork:

Thanks guys, my god, ive not heard of the majority of these bands ;) im going to be busy :lol:

Everyone draws influence from the 80s nowadays.  Most bands nowadays sound very Gang of Four.

39439[/snapback]

Interpol = echo and the bunnymen

the killers = tears for fears (the hurting not the big wheel shite)

kaiser chiefs = wish they were the specials/mighty mighty bosstones/the jam

brmc = jmc (even down to the fact their 3rd album is quieter and more acoustic!)

etc, etc.

Franz Ferdinand in particular are very Gang of Four.

39486[/snapback]

Franz Ferdinand are very Pack of Cunts.

39493[/snapback]

Very shit tbh

39499[/snapback]

Franz Ferdinand are what McFly would be like if their career lasted into their 20s.

39501[/snapback]

"One song, you've only got one song" etc.

39503[/snapback]

Aye, aye! The Late review team are in.

Franz Fedinand have taken the pop rock template and made some great songs by following it, like most chart rock these days! They're not shit, just not particularly cutting edge.

The people who loved their first album a month before it came out are the ones who now call them shit. It's the same musical snobbery that Coldplay also suffer from.