Steven Taylor the voice of Newcastle United

Jusoda Kid

Chopra is warned to expect cold reception

Apr 18 2008

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

STEVEN Taylor has delivered a warning to his former Newcastle United team-mate Michael Chopra as he insisted the ex-Magpie would be given a frosty reception on his return to St James’s Park this weekend.

Taylor was a team-mate of Chopra’s when they were coming through the reserve ranks together at Newcastle, but there will be no love lost between them when they square up to each other in the Tyne-Wear derby on Sunday.

Although Chopra was a popular figure at Newcastle because he was a local lad who had come through the Academy, Taylor feels many fans felt betrayed when he signed for Sunderland last summer following a successful season with Cardiff in the Championship.

As a result, the striker, who scored his first league goal for United in their 4-1 win at the Stadium of Light two years ago, will be given a hostile reception on his return to the club he grew up supporting.

“I’ve spoken to Michael a few times this season and I’m sure he’ll be looking forward to coming back,” said Taylor, who, like Chopra, was also a United fan as a youngster. “But I just hope he knows what he’s got coming to him.

“It won’t be a happy return for him – in fact, it could be a fairly rough reception from his point of view, but that’s what playing in a derby is all about. He did well for Newcastle when he was here, but that’s all forgotten once he pulls on a Sunderland strip. We’re focused on what we want to do – and that’s beating Sunderland.”

Taylor knows that, although things have improved dramatically in the last few weeks under Kevin Keegan, this season has been hugely disappointing for Newcastle. With that in mind, a win over Sunderland would go some way to appeasing fans who have once again had to endure another season full of anti-climax, and Taylor is confident the Magpies will do just that.

He said: “Everyone’s saying that it’s been a disappointing season, but the recent form has at least started to put a few things right. We want the fans to be going into the summer happy, and beating Sunderland would help achieve that. If we can get a win at the weekend the whole city will change. It’ll be a much better place and that’s something we can take into next year, which is going to be a massive year for us.

“It’s come at a great time. If it had been played two months ago, we might have been going into it wondering what was going to happen a little bit. Instead, we’re going into it full of confidence and on great form. We’ve had a really good run in the last few weeks and I honestly don’t think there’s a better time for us to be playing Sunderland. I know they’ve done all right themselves recently as well, but I can promise you that we’ll be buzzing at the weekend.

“We know what it means to the fans. It’ll be a fantastic day and I can’t wait to see them going crazy. The adrenaline will be pumping.”

United scrapped a 1-1 draw in the corresponding fixture at the Stadium of Light earlier in the season in a game Sunderland looked the better side. But Taylor knows this is a completely different Newcastle under Keegan than it was under Sam Allardyce.

He explained: “I don’t think we produced our best performance through there, so that’s something we know we have to put right. Maybe we played a bit too defensively but, having said that, they still couldn’t beat us back then.

“It’ll be different at St James’s Park. They’re coming into the game on the back of a defeat, whereas we played well in our last game at Portsmouth. Everybody will be up for it, and nobody has to worry about the attitude we’ve got. We’ll pose a lot of threat. It’s a different Newcastle side to the one they faced last time around, and we’re going to pose a lot of different questions.”

Can't see Rocky getting booed tbh unless he scores

He did well for Newcastle when he was here, but that’s all forgotten once he pulls on a Sunderland strip.

Did people have the hump with Lee Clark when he came back here because he'd played for the Mackems? No!

Have people forgotten what David Kelly did for us because he ended up playing for Sunderland? No!

Steven Taylor should shut the fuck up and concentrate on playing football as there's considerable room for improvement...

What a tit!

Difference between Chopra and Kelly/Clark is that Chopra did pretty much fuck all when he was here. Also, I reckon after the season he had with Cardiff there must have been a few more clubs than the mackems after him? What I'm trying to say is, he'll get muted boos I should think. If he scores (please god no) and celebrates it could be interesting.

Difference between Chopra and Kelly/Clark is that Chopra did pretty much fuck all when he was here. Also, I reckon after the season he had with Cardiff there must have been a few more clubs than the mackems after him? What I'm trying to say is, he'll get muted boos I should think. If he scores (please god no) and celebrates it could be interesting.

They probably offered quite a bit more for him than others though I'd guess.

Still find it hard to believe grown men actually boo. It sounds fucking pathetic.

Yup hissing is the grown up way forward. ;)

Still find it hard to believe grown men actually boo. It sounds fucking pathetic.

Its something that's always amazed me to hear from adults at football matches, it just sounds so childish.

As for Chopra i think the majority of fans won't have any problem with him, he left here for first team football and when the mackems offered him a shot at the prem he took it. I think a small minority will boo him because in football these days somebody or something has to be booed at prem grounds these days, its the law!

However should he score or do something in the game that annoys our fans then i can see the majority reaction to him changing very quickly and dramatically!

He did well for Newcastle when he was here, but that’s all forgotten once he pulls on a Sunderland strip.

Did people have the hump with Lee Clark when he came back here because he'd played for the Mackems? No!

Have people forgotten what David Kelly did for us because he ended up playing for Sunderland? No!

Steven Taylor should shut the fuck up and concentrate on playing football as there's considerable room for improvement...

What a tit!

David Kelly is the only player wearing that god awfull strip that I can ever remember being applauded at St James'. And throroughly justified it was too.

I'm sure there will be some boos but I wouldn't expect it to be massive and as long as he doesn't score/celebrate I would expect it fade out as the game goes on.

Keane on the other hand.

Keane on the other hand.

Never lost at St James' without being sent off.

Is that right? Did he not play in the 5-0? And what about with Forest?

Anyway I don't think we need him to be sent off to beat those retards, especially when their best defender is out injured.

Steven Taylor in "I fucking hate makem bastards me cos I bleed black n white like or at least I'll say I do to try and get fans on my side because I think Im bigger and better than I fucking am" article shocker.

Keane on the other hand.

Never lost at St James' without being sent off.

Is that right? Did he not play in the 5-0? And what about with Forest?

Anyway I don't think we need him to be sent off to beat those retards, especially when their best defender is out injured.

From .com...

And as for their manager, his last four visits to Tyneside as a player all ended in victory - while he didn't manage to stay on the pitch until the final whistle on either occasion when his side lost (Keane didn't play in either the Howay 5-0 game or our 2-0 League Cup success here in 1994.)

Keane @ SJP (with Man U, except *Nottingam Forest):

2005/06 won 2-0

2004/05 won 3-1

2003/04 won 2-1

2002/03 won 6-2

2001/02 lost 4-3 (sent off, 90 mins)

2000/01 drew 1-1

1999/00 lost 0-3 (sent off, 64 mins)

1998/99 won 2-1

1995/96 won 1-0

1994/95 drew 1-1 Kitson

1993/94 drew 1-1

1990/91 drew 2-2*

GEORDIE boy Steven Taylor reflected on Newcastle United’s sixth victory out of the last seven derby matches with Sunderland by dedicating yesterday’s 2-0 win to the club’s fans.

Taylor and fellow defender Habib Beye did not want to leave the field after the 2-0 victory at St James’s Park.

But Taylor was showered and changed in a flash, and he told me after the game: “There was no better feeling on the final whistle than seeing the Sunderland players with faces like smacked backsides.

“We were disappointed at the Stadium of Light, as we didn’t get the result we wanted there, and this win was for the fans.

“The first goal took the sting out of it, and relaxed us a bit, and I think they were dead and buried after the second goal. We were able to keep the ball a bit more.

“I think it was better than the 3-2 win two seasons ago. I think it meant more to everybody because of the season we’ve had so far.

“The fans deserved that, and it was great to send them home happy.”

A lot of the heat was taken out of yesterday’s game when, after their recent revivals, both United and Sunderland had moved out of the relegation zone. But nevertheless there was still a terrific atmosphere before the match.

Taylor had insisted before the match that one of football’s great motivators, Kevin Keegan, would not need to give a team-talk because the United players were up for the game.

And the England Under-21 skipper said after the match: “When we walked out, the first thing I noticed was the fans holding up the black and white cards. The lads looked around and thought ‘wow’.

“There was no way we wanted to disappoint the fans, and we were so happy to put on a good show for them. I thought everyone did themselves credit.

“I wish I had scored – that would have been the icing on the cake – but I’ll take the three points. It was the biggest game of the season for us.

“The gaffer did give a little team-talk, but the players knew how much it meant.”

Meanwhile Sunderland’s efforts to make themselves feel at home at St James’s back-fired on them yesterday.

When officials opened up on Sunday morning and went into the visiting dressing room, they found that all the United plaques had been covered by the red-and-white of Sunderland.

And a United insider told me: “Perhaps Sunderland wanted to feel at home, but I don’t know why. They have not beaten us down at their place since 1980.”

:blink:

I don't know how it looked on tv, but from where I was stood the black and white cards were embarrassing.