Newcastle United 2001/02 Season Review Compilation

Tooj

Fuckin' awesome season.

Some of the best games I've ever been to... such as 4-3 vs Man Utd at home, 1-0 away to the mackems, and the best one ever for myself... 3-1 down at Leeds at HT, to win 4-3 and stay top of the league at Christmas.

Not forgetting 3-1 away to Arsenal to end that London jinx. And Boro 4-1 away wasn't a bad match to be at! Except for getting chased back to the coach!

Ugh... the goal on 3:00... the guy doesnt have a clue what he's doing.

Anyway, what a great season that was! The Bobby force in full swing. Loved the 3-1 at Highbury, the 4-3 vs ManU, the Dabizas in blue... many more and was able to go to the last home game with my dad (3-1 v West Ham).

3.25 my favorite goal ever dont know why just love it

Maybe because it's just an outstanding finish.

Almost as good as that goal on 3 minutes.

Fantastic season. I'll never forget that feeling of knowing we were onto something special that year. Even after losses to West Ham, Liverpool and Spurs you just felt that it was all coming together.

Fantastic season. I'll never forget that feeling of knowing we were onto something special that year. Even after losses to West Ham, Liverpool and Spurs you just felt that it was all coming together.

That and the season following for footballing reasons were amazing, but it also coincided with probably the best time of my life.

• 9 years later...

Good watch. He was a bit of a dodgy defender at times but you could mever fault his commitment. Interesting to hear how his time with us was his career highlight and what he thought of the players and managers he worked with.

That 2001 season when he scored against the mackems was a class season- the best since the mid 90s and I can't remember enjoying a season more since then: Signing Robert and Bellas, who both started with a bang. Shearer banging them in, Sir Bobby giving hilarious interviews. Good times.

Wasn't that the year we flew out of the blocks for once because the players were all fit after the inter twobob campaign and we ended up top at Christmas?

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Good watch. He was a bit of a dodgy defender at times but you could mever fault his commitment. Interesting to hear how his time with us was his career highlight and what he thought of the players and managers he worked with.

That 2001 season when he scored against the mackems was a class season- the best since the mid 90s and I can't remember enjoying a season more since then: Signing Robert and Bellas, who both started with a bang. Shearer banging them in, Sir Bobby giving hilarious interviews. Good times.

Wasn't that the year we flew out of the blocks for once because the players were all fit after the inter twobob campaign and we ended up top at Christmas?

Aye, the 01/02 season. That Christmas was when a journo said to Bobby

"If you beat Arsenal you could be top at Christmas." 

"If I had wings I could fly to the moon."

"Sure, Bobby, but would you like to be there?"

"What, the moon?"

Wasn't that our "comeback kings" season as well? We never seemed to accept we were beaten under Sir Bob.

It was class, the following season wasn't bad either - I think when we finished 3rd? - and signed jenas? But that 2001 was more enjoyable simply because we came out of nowhere and played some mint stuff after a few seasons treading water after Keegan left.

I don't remember thinking Bellamy would have the impact he did but what a player he turned out to be. Totally transformed the way we played along with Robert, nobby and dyer. All that pace around him gave Shearer a new lease of life too.

Aye, I don't remember being that excited about Bellamy. He hadn't exactly ripped up the goal scoring charts previously.

But by christ he was rapid and a pest, good technical ability too. Missed his first league goal because I was having a piss. In the derby :lol:

I loved the arguments that exploded around us whenever we had a freekick around the area. "It's right side, Robert should have it", "Nah Nobby'll lay it off for Shearer" , "Stick it in the box for Speed man!"

Bellamy was signed after Jeffers went to Arsenal instead of coming to us and Robert was 2nd choice after Zenden opted to go to Chelsea. Just shows that even a manager as good as SBR needs a bit of luck now and again.